ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 148,006 times)

hawkangel

Really loving this audio adaptation. I'm stunned by how much Ripley's voice sounds like Sigourney Weaver even though its not her.

I'm toying with the idea of photo shopping the cover into a custom made blu-ray slick cover with mp3 burned Cd so that it can slot right between my Alien and Aliens blu-rays on my shelf. :)

BountyHunter

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 28, 2016, 07:54:12 AM
Quote from: BountyHunter on Apr 28, 2016, 07:15:32 AMSo wait.  I can't buy a CD of this?  Lame.

It's pretty long, you'd probably need three or four discs to fit it all on.

I have no problem whatsoever with this. I buy audio dramas all the time, some with that many discs or more.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BountyHunter on Apr 28, 2016, 02:25:37 PMI have no problem whatsoever with this. I buy audio dramas all the time, some with that many discs or more.

I was more getting at the expense for Audible. Pressing that many CDs would be expensive, potentially making the whole thing unprofitable. Rutger Hauer can't be cheap, I imagine they invested a fair bit in this. Much more likely to turn a profit if you're just releasing it digitally because there's no physical product to make.

XenoZipper

Yea I understand why a lot of things are digital now, I'm just not a fan of it personally myself. I would be totally fine with a 3 or 4 disc audio story. Depends how long it is I guess. I have some that if I recall are in the 3 hour type range & it was all able to fit on 1 disc. If I can find a torrent of Out of the Shadows in the future I'll just grab that unless a physical copy shows up someday. Like I've mentioned above, I'm not a huge tech person so I'll be staying away from Audible & having to download Apps upon Apps in order to get something off it. There is a method of downloading the mp3 but they wanted you to download their special Audible Downloader, then load up ITunes (which I also have never played with) & extract it from there somehow. Just seems like a major hassle to one that never plays with any of that stuff. My internetting is all done on a laptop, I've never used an IPhone in my life yet.

Corporal Hicks

Finished this on the way to work this morning. Will try and get a review finished by this weekend but in short, I loved it. Go buy it. It's got the same pitfalls the book does but the over all experience is just wonderful. Dirk makes some changes to make Ash more prominent and make it easier in an audio format. He ties in Alien Isolation more which I think rocked. But he also made Ripley's lead-up to the red button worse than in the book imho. The sound design is just fabulous and the cast is just great.

hawkangel

Just under the halfway mark. Been listening to it in the car.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: hawkangel on Apr 29, 2016, 07:33:55 AM
Just under the halfway mark. Been listening to it in the car.

Same. I'm terrible with listening to anything at home. I fall asleep no matter what I'm listening to as I get too comfortable and drop off.  :laugh:

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 29, 2016, 07:27:12 AMHe ties in Alien Isolation more which I think rocked.

Care to elaborate a little more? Beyond the Seegson model audio unit thing?

Corporal Hicks

I can't recall if its exactly the same as the recording we hear in Isolation (I was going to relisten to them both later) but the drama opens with Ripley recording a message for Amanda. Ash searches out information about Amanda that references Isolation slightly, Working Joes are talked about, Seegson in general is name-dropped a bit.

HuDaFuK

Nice! As I said, I hope to get started on this on my holiday next week :)

hawkangel

hawkangel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks
Same. I'm terrible with listening to anything at home. I fall asleep no matter what I'm listening to as I get too comfortable and drop off.  :laugh:

Haha. I'm also impressed with the production quality of this audio drama as well. I usually listen to 'Big Finish' audio and this is my first Audible audio. Not saying that I was expecting a bad job, just used to good quality audios. Alien : Out of the shadows is certain one of them.

*Fixed the quote tag.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: hawkangel on Apr 29, 2016, 09:17:55 AM
Haha. I'm also impressed with the production quality of this audio drama as well. I usually listen to 'Big Finish' audio and this is my first Audible audio. Not saying that I was expecting a bad job, just used to good quality audios. Alien : Out of the shadows is certain one of them.

Same! My experience with audio dramas has been Big Finish's Dr Who and Stargate and through various fan-made Star Treks. Out of the Shadows was a fantastic piece of audio engineering.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 29, 2016, 07:56:40 AM
I can't recall if its exactly the same as the recording we hear in Isolation (I was going to relisten to them both later) but the drama opens with Ripley recording a message for Amanda.

No, not the same.

Corporal Hicks

Praetorian Peak

Thanks Hicks

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed