ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 151,415 times)

Perfect-Organism

Ok, let me get this straight here.  What does one need to do to get this audiobook?  Do I need to download some sort of Audible app first?  Then do I buy the file?,  Or is it more like a streaming service?  Do I get to keep the file so I can listen to it again if I want to (let's face it, I will want to).

XenoZipper

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 06:52:21 PM
Ok, let me get this straight here.  What does one need to do to get this audiobook?  Do I need to download some sort of Audible app first?  Then do I buy the file?,  Or is it more like a streaming service?  Do I get to keep the file so I can listen to it again if I want to (let's face it, I will want to).

Yea I'm curious how that Audible place works as well I've been hearing a lot about it lately. I just don't know how into the idea I am for paying monthly for the site & paying for individual audio books as well. I'd rather just buy a physical copy audio book & screw the monthly payments to get downloads/stream.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 27, 2016, 06:57:59 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 06:52:21 PM

Yea I'm curious how that Audible place works as well I've been hearing a lot about it lately. I just don't know how into the idea I am for paying monthly for the site & paying for individual audio books as well. I'd rather just buy a physical copy audio book & screw the monthly payments to get downloads/stream.

Monthly payments?  Whaaaaat?

XenoZipper

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 06:59:41 PM

Yep, I finally went to Audible.com through my laptop & while yea it says 30 day free trial, after that it's 14 something a month. I think I'll be passing on that.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 27, 2016, 07:03:12 PM

Yep, I finally went to Audible.com through my laptop & while yea it says 30 day free trial, after that it's 14 something a month. I think I'll be passing on that.

I think I'll be getting the free trial, listening to the book and closing up shop afterwards.  That's more than Netflix!  The quality is good, but come on!

XenoZipper

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 07:08:45 PM

I think I'll be getting the free trial, listening to the book and closing up shop afterwards.  That's more than Netflix!  The quality is good, but come on!

I was thinking of doing that as well & just grabbing a few books before the 30 days is up & close up but I'm still a little weary about giving my credit card info out. I don't do much online buying. Let me know if it works out for you to get it & I'll go do the same haha Hopefully it allows you to download & keep the file rather than stream. I agree, while it would be nice to have so many audio books at the ready to listen to, about $15 a little much to me.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: XenoZipper on Apr 27, 2016, 07:12:07 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 07:08:45 PM

I was thinking of doing that as well & just grabbing a few books before the 30 days is up & close up but I'm still a little weary about giving my credit card info out. I don't do much online buying. Let me know if it works out for you to get it & I'll go do the same haha Hopefully it allows you to download & keep the file rather than stream. I agree, while it would be nice to have so many audio books at the ready to listen to, about $15 a little much to me.

I really need to find out how this actually works.  If I have to stream it each time I listen to it, then that means using 3G as I commute, which is when I imagine many people would listen to it too.  That will not work at all.

HuDaFuK

I'm pretty sure you can either stream or download in advance, it's your choice.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 07:22:17 PM
I really need to find out how this actually works.  If I have to stream it each time I listen to it, then that means using 3G as I commute, which is when I imagine many people would listen to it too.  That will not work at all.

Yea streaming wouldn't work all that well for me either. I don't even have a phone that goes on the internet so I could only use my laptop. That's why I'm hoping it at least allows you to download then I could at least stick the mp3 file on my psp & listen to it on the go for travel. Though sadly, I don't know anyone that actually uses the site & has an account that can tell me much about it. I've only been hearing about it recently their ads on other podcasts I listen to & thought I'd look into it as I did see Out of the Shadows & other Alien audio books on the site when I checked it out.

Yea Audible.com is shit. It doesn't allow you to download the file unless you also have the downloader App, plus Itunes, plus you need the Audible App in order to stream it, such bullshit wasn't worth my time & now I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure out how to cancel my card so it doesn't start charging me at the end of the month. Only the 1st book was free then you pay for others. So it's $15 a month, plus the price of whatever book you're wanting to buy. I'll find Out of the Shadows another way.

Corporal Hicks

The Audible app is free. No need to panic. You can get it on your market place. You can either get a monthly subscription with so many stuff "free" or just buy a book/drama as you want them.

I'm about halfway through and loving it. Will do a review when I've finished but it's likely to say "go buy this!"

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 28, 2016, 05:24:07 AM
The Audible app is free. No need to panic. You can get it on your market place. You can either get a monthly subscription with so many stuff "free" or just buy a book/drama as you want them.

I'm about halfway through and loving it. Will do a review when I've finished but it's likely to say "go buy this!"

Yea I'm just not updated in tech to be able to use any Apps so they're all useless to me. I don't use any sort of Iphone type device. My phone can text & do phone calls, no internet in the slightest on it, not even touch screen. As for my computer, I'm not updated to Win10 yet either so the desktop App does me no good at the moment either. I'm just not a huge tech person so I never got into any of that stuff & still don't have much an interest in it. If I can find a physical copy of Out of the Shadows, I'll just do it that way. Luckily I did find a torrent today of the novelizations of the movies read between Peter Guinness & William Hope (the Lance version of Alien 3 was also included in the torrent) so I'm super enjoying those at the moment. Only on chapter 6 for Alien so far but it's a great listen.

BountyHunter

So wait.  I can't buy a CD of this?  Lame.

XenoZipper

Quote from: BountyHunter on Apr 28, 2016, 07:15:32 AM
So wait.  I can't buy a CD of this?  Lame.

I don't think so but I could be wrong. There's no listing on the Canadian Amazon for a physical CD of Out of the Shadows but maybe eventually one will be released. I don't care much for most things being digital downloads now, I dunno about the other collectors around here but I don't count digital stuff as being "real" in a sense because all that needs to be done to make it disappear is delete. I have to have physical copies but that's me. I still download things if it's the only way I get to listen to/read it but I rarely ever consider it part of my actual collection.

Corporal Hicks

I wish there was a CD but the way of the world is a turn to the digital download. I'm not a massive fan of the concept, I like to have something tangible to put on my shelf too.

That said, I really am loving this. I've nearly finished it but I am just enjoying it so much.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: BountyHunter on Apr 28, 2016, 07:15:32 AMSo wait.  I can't buy a CD of this?  Lame.

It's pretty long, you'd probably need three or four discs to fit it all on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed