Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes!

Started by Glaive, May 15, 2012, 08:03:29 AM

Author
Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes! (Read 55,939 times)

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

Quote from: Promethean Fire on May 18, 2012, 10:26:04 PM
For those that want it, this is the track used in the featurette "The Adventure Begins" -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFMhYm0lRc#
Thanks, I thought that I was never going to find it!

Blanco

Blanco

The soundtrack from the first trailor is on spainish tv to advertize the Champions' League final.  Epic.  There is a wicked dubstep remix kicking around also.

r888

r888

The soundtrack was better than what I though, Im buying the cd

Winkie Bear

Quote from: Promethean Fire on May 18, 2012, 10:26:04 PM
For those that want it, this is the track used in the featurette "The Adventure Begins" -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFMhYm0lRc#

Thanks!  I love Two Steps from Hell.... and Audiomachine.  As if I wasn't weird enough in all other respects, when people ask me what sort of music I like...

"Oh, you know, orchestral stuff"
"Yeah, what sort of thing? Beethoven..?"
"No, stuff from... er, you know, movie trailers"
"What?"
"Trailers. For films"

Door slams in face

Cvalda

Cvalda

Sigh. I've listened to this score album all the way through seven times now to try and force myself into thinking it's good. It's just not working. :( There are a handful of memorable tracks, the rest just completely flat musical wallpaper. Part of the problem is the wretched album presentation itself--the track order was seemingly selected at random, with no thought put toward providing an enjoyable listening experience. Instead of actually ending, the album just... stops. No climax or release. It's like whoever organized the album just hit the shuffle button and said "good enough." The audio master is piss-poor: muddy and thin and with almost no weight whatsoever. And then it's just too long: this score is not interesting enough to warrant a full hour-long runtime. 15 minutes of boring synth loops could have been cut and this score would come across a lot more listenable on album. The score for Alien Resurrection has an excellent two-disc, hour and a half presentation available from La La Land, and it is very listenable and enjoyable. Can anyone seriously imagine sitting through an hour and a half of this score without getting bored?

Firestorm

Firestorm

2:14 onwards on track "Life" sounds like classic Silvestri stuff.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Cvalda on May 19, 2012, 07:09:07 PM
Sigh. I've listened to this score album all the way through seven times now to try and force myself into thinking it's good. It's just not working. :( There are a handful of memorable tracks, the rest just completely flat musical wallpaper. Part of the problem is the wretched album presentation itself--the track order was seemingly selected at random, with no thought put toward providing an enjoyable listening experience. Instead of actually ending, the album just... stops. No climax or release. It's like whoever organized the album just hit the shuffle button and said "good enough." The audio master is piss-poor: muddy and thin and with almost no weight whatsoever. And then it's just too long: this score is not interesting enough to warrant a full hour-long runtime. 15 minutes of boring synth loops could have been cut and this score would come across a lot more listenable on album. The score for Alien Resurrection has an excellent two-disc, hour and a half presentation available from La La Land, and it is very listenable and enjoyable. Can anyone seriously imagine sitting through an hour and a half of this score without getting bored?

I completely concur, Cvalda.

There are too many tracks...none of them long enough to develop any theme or motive.  Obviously, that is not the composer's style.  As for me, if I am going to listen to a complete score, I want there to be strong themes and melodic content...especially if it is expected to stand on it's own, as a musical experience.  And let's face it, if someone dishes out the money for the score, one presumes that they intend to listen to it multiple times (like any album).  So, I think that the score has to be able to stand by itself, outside of the context of the film.  IMHO, this Prometheus score fails this test.  Again, I realize, just my opinion.

IMHO, here are a few examples of film scores that can be listened to, in their entirety,

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

So sorry you didn't enjoy the soundtrack Cvalda....again, based on reading your comments the past couple years, I'm not at all surprised. I was expecting something prett mediocre to be honest. I've listened to the score for Prometheus probably 5 times now. The first time I wasn't at all impressed, and then, it grew on me and to echo another member here, I started feeling this sadness while hearing the music. Again, as aforementioned I can listen to this score more easily then I can the incredible Jerry Goldsmith Alien score.

Maybe contextuallizing the music with the film may help?

As an addendum, and Imho the score for Alien Resurrection was one of the worst scores that I've ever heard.

SpeedyMaxx

Can anyone seriously imagine sitting through an hour and a half of this score without getting bored?

Yes.

But I tend to not listen to soundtrack albums in isolation much.  I turned off the Goldsmith and Horner scores eventually.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 19, 2012, 09:09:57 PM
Can anyone seriously imagine sitting through an hour and a half of this score without getting bored?

Yes.

But I tend to not listen to soundtrack albums in isolation much.  I turned off the Goldsmith and Horner scores eventually.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is how it is done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pMtLWJlwhQ#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A-HvZPx-68#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgLIDc68yHw#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuE9QlV833U#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rHdSWZLpQ#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeyMXBPi4Oo#

SpeedyMaxx

Yeah, that's great, those are all classic movie scores which we all love.  But the ones I'd listen to in isolation for long stretches are very few, even then.

Also, I think it's a little unfair to look at the score for a new movie and immediately try to compare it to Morricone's Leone films or iconic themes like Jaws or the Star Trek theme.  I think the new score is quite alright, and appropriately different from what came before.  And I love the scores for the first two Alien films, I think they're masterful and I remember them to this day, but would I put them in the category of any of the linked tracks above?  No, that's just a whole other tier and not what was intended for them or those films, either.  Same with Prometheus.  Star Trek was a massive television and film franchise - Leone's films were their own breed - Jaws had a leitmotif for a shark.  The Alien films are different.  And that's fine.  If we're going to immediately handicap something for not being an eternal masterpiece right out the gate, why bother?

ThisBethesdaSea

Well said Speedy

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 19, 2012, 09:27:49 PM
Yeah, that's great, those are all classic movie scores which we all love.  But the ones I'd listen to in isolation for long stretches are very few, even then.

Also, I think it's a little unfair to look at the score for a new movie and immediately try to compare it to Morricone's Leone films or iconic themes like Jaws or the Star Trek theme.  I think the new score is quite alright, and appropriately different from what came before.  And I love the scores for the first two Alien films, I think they're masterful and I remember them to this day, but would I put them in the category of any of the linked tracks above?  No, that's just a whole other tier and not what was intended for them or those films, either.   Same with Prometheus.  Star Trek was a massive television and film franchise - Leone's films were their own breed - Jaws had a leitmotif for a shark.  The Alien films are different.  And that's fine.  If we're going to immediately handicap something for not being an eternal masterpiece right out the gate, why bother?

Hello Speedymax,

I am not sure what you mean in your statement:  "No, that's just a whole other tier and not what was intended for them or those films, either".  Are you talking about the original Alien soundtrack, or are you talking about the compositions I linked to?  And if it is the latter, what do you mean that they were not "intended" for those films.  Sorry, I am confused.

Also, I can't stand the over-played leitmotif for the "shark".  You will notice I picked two Williams works from Jaws, which do not feature this device.  Instead, they are exquisite examples of William's ability to compose in the very complicated baroque fugue/counterpoint form...while still maintaining a beautiful, romantic lyricism.

Cheers.

SpeedyMaxx

What I mean is I put several of those tracks in a whole other tier of really iconic movie themes and such that are just incomparable.  I feel it's unfair to pit any score - including all the Alien ones - against stuff like that, in terms of how it rates.  That's an exercise in self-fulfilling prophecy, IMO.

I also feel that those films are really a whole different animal from the Alien films.  Leone's films have their own thematic underpinnings and these vast, operatic scores; Jaws is a big high adventure monster movie; Conan is another big epic thing, and Star Trek is this sweeping brand unto itself.  Alien and the subsequent films are these dark, creepy suspense pictures - it's just a different breed, I feel.  And I think the Prometheus score is doing its own thing, too, different from what came before.  But just because something is not John Williams or Jerry Goldsmith's finest works doesn't mean I don't think it can rate.  I always found Howard Shore's score for Seven to be excellent, but I would not try to match it up against Jaws, Conan or Trek - it's something totally different.  Perhaps not as instantly memorable, but it works for me.

ThisBethesdaSea

There are a couple of tracks on the Prommy soundtrack the sound pretty iconic in my opinion. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed