Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes!

Started by Glaive, May 15, 2012, 08:03:29 AM

Author
Prometheus soundtrack on iTunes! (Read 55,932 times)

Mechafist

Mechafist

You know what? the best score is the one who goes with everything  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfwe-4ph3g4#

Bayo

Bayo

i have the Alien OST and i recognize its masterpiece but to be honest i always listen
half of it because its a horror soundtrack, on the other hand, i feel like i can put the whole cd
of Prometheus and listen to it completely anywhere. i remember listening the Alien cd in my car and just when the light turned
green, i panic when a track start very loud... it was funny...

Mechafist

Mechafist

Quote from: Bayo on May 16, 2012, 08:56:18 PM
i have the Alien OST and i recognize its masterpiece but to be honest i always listen
half of it because its a horror soundtrack, on the other hand, i feel like i can put the whole cd
and listen to it anywhere. i remember listening the Alien cd in my car and just when the light turned
green, i panic when a track start very loud... it was funny...
This is RagingDragon thoughts.
When the music is a masterpiece you can listen to it with our without any Movie scene, it inspires you to think in something.

i sometimes just find myself listening to the Jurassic Park, Terminator or even Ghost Busters theme.

Again i am not saying the track is bad, it's really good but unfortunately it's not something i would find myself hearing if not watching to the movie.

ThisBethesdaSea

I've listened to the score a couple of times.

Obviously, and right away, Jerry Goldsmith Strietenfeld is not. End of debate. That being said, this score reminds me of some of the classic Bible films in its ominous tone. I'm hearing 'Going In' at the moment and it's creating the right tone for me, and there's just enough melody that I feel like this score not only does the job, but does it wonderfully. There are even a couple of moments that remind me of Elliot Goldenthal's ALIEN3 score and yet, Streitenfeld maintains his own perspective.

I'm beyond surprised as I was waiting for and expecting something absolutely mediocre. He brought his A game, and even without context, I know I'm somewhere as beautiful as it is dangerous. Perhaps I'm in the small percentile, but, yeah, I love this score.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on May 17, 2012, 12:01:13 AMPerhaps I'm in the small percentile, but, yeah, I love this score.

I wasn't expecting a masterpiece either, so count me into that percentile. I am loving it and am pretty sure that in context it will do the job nicely.

Alienseseses

I'm actually loving this soundtrack.

Anyone else think
Spoiler
"Friend from the Past" might actually be played in a scene where a xeno shows up? Hence the cryptic title and Alien motif? Or am I just being dense?
[close]

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: Alienseseses on May 17, 2012, 04:23:56 AM

Anyone else think
Spoiler
"Friend from the Past" might actually be played in a scene where a xeno shows up? Hence the cryptic title and Alien motif? Or am I just being dense?
[close]

I kind of think "Friend from the Past" may be the original Space Jockey.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Deuterium on May 17, 2012, 04:27:37 AM
Quote from: Alienseseses on May 17, 2012, 04:23:56 AM

Anyone else think
Spoiler
[close]

I kind of think "Friend from the Past" may be the original Space Jockey.

Hmmm, maybe, although I tend to associate that part of the theme with the opening and closing of the film as perceived by Goldsmith - so more to do with the human aspect, or the Nostromo. Not that I'm suggesting the 'friend' is a cameo of the Nostromo.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised by the soundtrack. Obviously it doesn't feel quite as real and fluid as Goldsmith, so I'm assuming that it isn't played by a philharmonic orchestra, which would give it more oomph, and I have to admit that the HGW stuff is currently evoking a little bit too much Star Trek (which I'm hoping I'll disassociate once the music is married to visuals), but I like what I hear as themes throughout.

Goldsmith is still tops, but it's good that this score evokes some what he did and some of the more effective moments of Goldenthal. Fortunately I'm not hearing Horner much, if at all. His score, despite being played by the London Symphony orchestra and having a richness because of it borrowed too heavily from previous work or other composers work (a temp track issue I guess), so never found much favour with me.

Having collected soundtracks for more than 30 years I can't say I'm totally blown away by the Prometheus score, but I think it works well enough and is a sight better than most modern action/sci-fi film scores. I've listened to it a few times now and the tone it's creating as a complete piece comes across - it's not just an exercise in thumps and crashes and stings and driving beats - which was my concern.

ThisBethesdaSea

There really is a wonderful melody and a sense of grandeur to it.

RagingDragon

Here's something that's been on my mind, throughout my obsessive listening of the soundtrack for a few days now, hours each day...

Many of the Prometheus themes are so so sad.

This wouldn't really shock me, but I've thought a lot about the Alien movies and maybe our preconceptions of what Prometheus will be, and I have to say that it feels like a very different tone.

Alien was a horror movie.  I mean, it scared the shit out of almost everyone that watched it, and the music reflects this.  I honestly don't remember being too broken up about the crew getting killed, despite the fact that I liked them, but the point is that the focus was on the horrific and alien nature of the creature and how scary everything was.  There was more "oh god, how do we get out of this nightmare" than sad reflections on the loss of life.

Prometheus, on the other hand, has this sprawling revelation to it, and the characters are going to be pressed into making huge, earth-shattering decisions in the midst of this horrible, alien discovery and death.  I think the score reflects this heavily, and can't help but feeling this huge sense of something that makes what happens to the crew something that we didn't feel in Alien...

Even Alien3, which is a great basis for comparison though still a superior score, greatly increased the emotional tugging with tracks like Lento and of course Adagio.  More human elements...

I don't know, and am gonna stop before the serious rambling begins.  What do you guys think of this?  How do you feel if you agree or disagree?

ThisBethesdaSea

Totally Raging Dragon.....there's this sense of terrible foreboding...and yet it's beautiful. I'm actually able to listen to this score more easily then Goldsmiths score for ALIEN....and that's a strange thing.

Winkie Bear

It is really growing on me (also listening obsessively!) - I also find it easier to listen to than Goldsmith's Alien score, but like it less than Goldenthal's Alien 3.
Space Jockey and Collision are terrific! I wish there was a little more of that maybe.  But I've included the trailer music into my album, and that raises the feel of the whole lot.

RagingDragon

Quote from: ucdom on May 18, 2012, 06:43:04 PM
It is really growing on me (also listening obsessively!) - I also find it easier to listen to than Goldsmith's Alien score, but like it less than Goldenthal's Alien 3.
Space Jockey and Collision are terrific! I wish there was a little more of that maybe.  But I've included the trailer music into my album, and that raises the feel of the whole lot.

Eew coool... a great idea.

Promethean Fire

For those that want it, this is the track used in the featurette "The Adventure Begins" -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETFMhYm0lRc#

ChrisPachi

Quote from: RagingDragon on May 18, 2012, 04:44:39 PMI think the score reflects this heavily, and can't help but feeling this huge sense of something that makes what happens to the crew something that we didn't feel in Alien...

So true. I think that the fact that this is a completely different film to Alien only properly dawned on me once I heard the score.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed