Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project

Started by Jenga, Jan 02, 2015, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's (cancelled?) Alien 5 project (Read 147,745 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Feb 02, 2015, 04:22:41 PMIf they had survived (a la Blomkamp) then clearly a different universe would have evolved from that

Sure. But they didn't survive.

I'll be honest, I really don't get people still complaining about this. It's been 22 years, and the one attempt at retconning things in that time turned out to be a laughably inept story in a video game. If the scenario in that is any indication of the kind of thing Fox is OK with regarding Hicks being resurrected, then good God would I rather have a flawed but occasionally powerful Alien 3.

Quote from: Russ on Feb 02, 2015, 04:22:41 PMI think that Sigourney Weaver was quite keen on killing herself off in the third one?

Yeah, supposedly she wanted it to happen.

Russ

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 02, 2015, 04:53:45 PM

Sure. But they didn't survive.

I just think you're being deliberately obtuse.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Feb 02, 2015, 05:11:05 PMI just think you're being deliberately obtuse.

And I think 22 years is a slightly ridiculous amount of time to hold a grudge. Why do so many people still have a bee in their bonnet over specifically this? Why does no one consider the fact we could get a great Alien film without altering the ones we already have? It always seems to be WE WANT HIX N NOOT. Well ACM tried to do that, and the result was a lot worse than any of the films.

Although I guess maybe the truth is we haven't really had a quality Alien film in at least that long.

Russ

No one's holding a grudge. The discussion was about Blomkamp's retcon and the possibilities. So repeating "yes, but it it didn't happen that way in Alien3" in a variety of ways is missing the point. The vast majority of people on here know what happened in Alien3 and to be honest, many of the discussions on this forum hypothetical "what ifs." You could, for instance, go onto the Shane Black Predator thread and announce the whole discussion was pointless and we won't know till the film comes out. Or will there be an Alien Queen in Isolation 2. We don't know yet. Or could there be an Amanda Ripley film - go pick 'em.

Consequently, if that's your standpoint, why bother commenting on these threads if you have no interest in "what ifs" and keep quoting the rulebook. But that's your cross to bear, I guess.

HuDaFuK

I guess I'm just tired of it seemingly always being about Hicks and Newt. There are literally so many other possibilities for the future of the franchise. But it's always that.

Visceral_Mass

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 03, 2015, 01:04:17 PM
I guess I'm just tired of it seemingly always being about Hicks and Newt. There are literally so many other possibilities for the future of the franchise. But it's always that.

What was the high point of the series for many fans? I bet many of them would say Aliens.

Everything that has come since has been met with mixed reviews and even the positive reviews don't tend to elevate those films above the level of Aliens.

Therefore, it makes sense to me that fans want to go back to the series high point and "veer off" with a couple of characters that they became attached to.

It shouldn't be seen as an irritation, its just fans wanting to return to something familiar they care about in the hopes that they can recapture some of that excitement that made Aliens so great.

Kel G 426

Well said.

When the series finally makes another movie with characters we care about, we'll want to see those characters return.

Also, Aliens critics have been griping about Cameron's take on the xenomorph a good six years longer than Alien 3 critics have been griping about Hicks & Newt.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kelgaard on Feb 04, 2015, 07:34:39 AMWhen the series finally makes another movie with characters we care about, we'll want to see those characters return.

Maybe I'd understand people still being desperate to have them back if the actors were still at a reasonable age to play them. But Weaver and Biehn are too old now. And do we really want the roles recast?

Quote from: Kelgaard on Feb 04, 2015, 07:34:39 AMAlso, Aliens critics have been griping about Cameron's take on the xenomorph a good six years longer than Alien 3 critics have been griping about Hicks & Newt.

That one always confuses me too. Especially when they apparently suggest the Alien for the first film would've stood a better chance against heavily-armed Marines.

Kel G 426

I may have already said this, but i think a computer animated movie with the original actors' voices would be really cool.  It could offer an alternate continuity easily separated from the main line of films.

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 04, 2015, 08:43:48 AM

Quote from: Kelgaard on Feb 04, 2015, 07:34:39 AMAlso, Aliens critics have been griping about Cameron's take on the xenomorph a good six years longer than Alien 3 critics have been griping about Hicks & Newt.

That one always confuses me too. Especially when they apparently suggest the Alien for the first film would've stood a better chance against heavily-armed Marines.

As much as I love the Drone, we all know its killing streak was based on killing "truckers" not armed seasoned marines. My current favorite Alien is Drone(Sevastopol) and it has killed far more than the first alien ever did and some were armed civilians as well but put that creature against the marines and it will just have the same chance as the Warriors did.

Most of us loved Ripley (I think) but I doubt we all want her to return, so even if we love characters and care about them, it doesn't automatically mean we all want them to return, it would be better if they went off and lived their lives instead of getting caught into the same situation over and over again, hence why Hicks was meant to become the protagonist instead of Ripley in the early drafts of Alien 3.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 04, 2015, 08:43:48 AM
Maybe I'd understand people still being desperate to have them back if the actors were still at a reasonable age to play them. But Weaver and Biehn are too old now. And do we really want the roles recast?

Next thing you know they'll be trying to bring back the original Star Wars trilogy cast.

Local Trouble

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 03, 2015, 01:04:17 PM

I don't want a HIX N NOOT story because I'd rather the survivors get to live the rest of their lives without having to face the aliens again.  That also includes Ripley.

With a few changes, Prometheus could easily have been a sequel to Aliens and ultimately a much more satisfying experience than either Alien 3 or Prometheus actually were.

razeak

Some people hold a grudge and it's stupid. Some people revisit Alien 3 every few months or years, and they simply still don't like the execution. Just some food for thought. Not everyone is holding on. It would excite me if they returned(in theory, *shudders at current Kyle Reese casting), but I would be just as excited if they went with an original cast and story that isn't a piece of crap.

Darkness

Collider has finally contacted Blomkamp about the concept art: http://collider.com/neill-blomkamp-alien-movie/

"There was a reason. I wanted to make that film. I still may make that film. [Laughs] It may happen. But I did it on my own time. Like when Chappie was winding down in post and I had available time, I started to work on it. It was also from talking to Sigourney [Weaver] during the making of this. I mean, I asked her about Alien all the time. Alien and Aliens are my favorite films. So I genuinely wanted to make that film, I came up with the story, I came up with way more art than I put out and I never officially spoke to Fox about it, but Fox wanted to make it. So, I kind of touched on it and I didn't know what to do, and I didn't know if I was just gonna go leave directing for a whole bunch of time and then I was like, 'I might as well put some art out.' But I may make it. I don't know. That's where it stands."

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yes, No, Maybe, Well see, Maybe not, Yes, No, Perhaps...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed