Started by g2vd, Sep 22, 2016, 10:55:40 PM

Favorite DOOM?

DOOM
DOOM II
FINAL DOOM
DOOM 64
DOOM 3
Author
Original DOOM Series Discussion Thread (Read 5,613 times)

Randomizer

Doom 64 is available through a source port now so I think that once people realized back then that it was only on console they gave up and didn't bother looking again.

I also have to agree with that; from what I've seen it looks like the perfect Doom game which balances both horror and action.

PsyKore

Come to think of it, it was probably more the case that it was developed by Midway and not id, so not many took it as canon. Kind of a shame though, because it was a worthy game IMO.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Today I had time during one of my computer science classes to install Brutal Doom on a couple units. It's been long since I last played and as a consequence I still remained to bloody version 19.

I notice there are now two modes of playing: Classic and Modern. At a first glance the Classic one seems to remove all taunts, executions while keeping the fancy animations and original weapon models.

For those that have had time to play it, which of these do you like the most?

XenoZipper

Hmm.. I did not notice the 2 modes. I'll have to boot up Brutal Doom later and check as I don't remember what version I even have.

g2vd

So does anyone have a favorite DOOM Mod?

Randomizer

I haven't been deep into Doom mods as much as I was with Half-Life but out of the few I've tried I'd go with Brutal Doom.

XenoZipper

For me it's a mix between Brutal Doom & Classic Doom 3.

Randomizer

I just realized I haven't played any Doom 3 mods whatsoever...

XenoZipper

Check out "Classic Doom 3". It's just the original Doom game with the Doom 3 skin thrown over everything. I don't know if mods work on the BFG edition as I only have the original Doom 3 release on my PC. That's really the only mod I've played with on 3 though. I have the Yautja mod but only tried it maybe twice so far.

Randomizer

The DOOM thread got buried. Sad but expected.

Source: Reddit

XenoZipper

haha that's awesome. Perfect for Doom. Never tried multiplayer on the game though aside from the Classic Doom Collection on PS3 that lets you play the game in 2 player mode which is kinda cool actually especially on levels where you need all 3 keys and you both can split off but finding keys goes to both of you but yea, never tried multiplayer on PC before.

Thread does get buried easily I agree. I just keep reshreshing the "show new replies to your posts" at the top so that way I only see stuff I've posted on whenever someone else posts in the thread just because of things getting buried so quickly here. I don't have the patience to actually look through the different pages on threads to find something.

Randomizer

Like I said I never understood how it worked. I DO bother checking threads manually, in fact I DO a lot of "click-clack" on this forum.  :P

Now I had no idea there was a special edition of these on PS3, seems like it was an exclusive. Rather pointless if you ask me considering there's the BFG Edition but sounds fun. I like the menu.

Too bad I didn't play Doom in multiplayer. Nowadays I don't really know how one would achieve that.

XenoZipper

I think XBox 360 has the Classic Doom Collection available on their online store. It's a digital download release only, no physical copy to buy that I'm aware of. True there's the BFG Edition but for some reason, I don't dig playing that version of Doom 3 or the classics that come on the disc. Plays a little off to me for some reason. I only play that digital version every so often though as I'm not crazy about using a controller for Doom, it seems to slow to me if that makes sense. Mouse/keyboard setup is so much faster & precise for me.

As for multiplayer these days, I think the classics on the BFG Edition might have a Death Match option that goes online & the digital Classic does too I believe. No idea how to get multiplayer PC. Never got into doing online multiplayer at all for any game or system. Don't see the appeal in death match's or capture the flag type games. Co-op story mode games I'd be down for but that's a rare one to find these days.

PsyKore

Brutal Doom 64:

XenoZipper

Sweet!! Definitely grabbing that when it comes out. Looks awesome

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed