In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Aug 29, 2019, 09:56:05 AM

Author
In your opinion do you think Alien 3 killed the franchise? (Read 37,462 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I never heard of it.

SM

No liked them to like 85%, but.

The Old One

The Old One

Bah, humbug.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2019, 10:43:11 AM
No liked them to like 85%, but.
... ow, what?

Stitch

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Allan Yelpir on Oct 19, 2019, 01:35:52 PM
Why is there no ... `Totall RecallĀ“ ... franchise?

The fact it was adapted from a singular book by Dick probably has at least something to do with that.

Still, Minority Report was originally going to be Total Recall 2.

StrangeShape

Alien 3 has been my entry to the series when it hit the VHS shelves and remains my favorite Alien movie to this day. While many may have disagree with decisions made for the plot, I think the feel, look and vibe of the movie is almost unmatched. I think, to me, only Exorcist III and Angel Dark come remotely close to that eerie, terrifying feel.
And I dont think it killed the franchise since as many pointed out, it kept going strong. I think the mythology was still very strong and relevant up untill Prometheus. After that it dived down and there wasnt enough of an audience for Covenant

Kimarhi

3 never impacted me the same way as it did others who waited the six years for it to come out. 

Because when Aliens was released I was 1 and when Alien 3 was released I was 7.  So I had to wait another three or so years to watch any of the series, and when I did it was without that wait that people who watched Aliens in theaters had to endure.

So I started with the 2nd movie, immediately took it back to Kroger and got Alien 3............but this was the era of vhs rentals......and they didn't have Alien because somebody rented it and moved away (essentially stealing it).  So I think I had to wait another half year after watching those two for somebody to buy the original for my birthday.

I remember being disappointed that Hicks and Newt were killed in such an offhand manner, BUT, I recall that it also felt very real world esque, where people die at random all the time.  I'm sure people driving home at night killed by a drunk driver's family feel that they didn't get a just death either.  And I didn't have the half decade of love built up for the characters that many others had. 

I can certainly understand their anger at the issue, and don't blame anybody for feeling that way.  Just as I understand the real world feel of Hicks and Newts deaths not being good enough in fiction which isn't always written to be real world (and in reality I know its just lazy writing to get rid of two characters that have no place in the story). 

That said, Alien 3 has grown into an 8/10 movie for me.......just like Aliens has fallen to an 8/10.   Ultimately I think I give Aliens the nod over 3 just because it was a more influential world builder, but that is essentially the only reason.  Alien remains the series apex for me.

The Old One

The Old One

As always the correct opinion eventually emerges.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 27, 2019, 07:54:53 PM

"correct opinion"

The Old One

The Old One

I know, I'm great ain't I? Lmfao

Voodoo Magic

The Old One

The Old One

I thought you might get a kick out of that.

razeak

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 27, 2019, 07:54:53 PM

Your unending wit, enthusiasm, and sound logic concerning Alien 3 has certainly pushed me further in appreciation of the film. Haha.

Huggs

I'm watching it right now.

Good times.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed