Mechanics Needing To Be Changed

Started by Xenomorphine, Jan 21, 2010, 02:27:51 AM

Author
Mechanics Needing To Be Changed (Read 75,583 times)

diablo949494

diablo949494

My main concern is still the Aliens not moving realistically. I mean doing the same thing as the first game or trying to mimic the second movie is a mistake as they were plainly limited to technology and wire tricks respectively.
I'd really like to see some variations in weight for the Aliens that make you feel the impact your pulse rifle or whatever weapon is you're using.
I want to hear/feel the aliens head whipback and the thud of its body hit the ground or wall.
This is just sound design though. 
But some animations of the ALien were too much like the first game. Id like to see something newstuff  worth the replay value of the massacre and not the story.
I still have hopes, so i'm not down on the game at all. Its a STAPLE of a game for the franchise so it has already won me over.

Sifer2

Sifer2

I have been watching some of the latest multiplayer footage. And I really hate to play arm chair developer but I keep seeing stuff I would change. Mainly on the Predator.

For one thing I think the cloaking should cost a bar of energy to activate. Since I think its silly how there is no strategy to using it. Its just always turn it on, attack, turn it on again an repeat. I think if it cost a bar of energy to activate BUT if you don't have it on you slowly regenerate energy it would bring strategy to it. And provide an alternative to being so predictable in needing to hunt for the energy refill panels. Would be very good for Hunt mode.

Secondly I think the Spear an Disc throwing animation needs seriously slowing down. It's so fast it looks silly plus its imbalanced. No one will be able to dodge it at close range cause they can't see it coming it just happens so fast. In one vid two Preds were fighting in melee an suddenly one Pred decided to be cheap an instantly wips out the Disc an chunks it in the other Pred's face lol. He never had a chance.

An finally an this is just my personal opinion I think Predators should spawn with the Plasmacaster always. But it should be balanced well with energy consumption to reduce spam an laser to reveal position. And it should have a minimum range. Meaning you can't fire on a target that's too close to you. Call it a built in safety feature for the Pred that acts as a game balancing mechanic. So an Alien that gets into Melee range can force you to fight them in Melee an not just point blank waste em. Furthermore it would be good reason to give Alien a bit of a melee buff so they have an edge on Pred's since Pred's would have a chance to kill Aliens from range without needing to find weapons.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

For the record, energy does recharge slowly, so a Predator who consumed energy on a moderate basis will never run out.

Which is a major reason why I think the disc needs to be energy-reliant.

Sifer2

Sifer2

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jan 27, 2010, 04:10:31 AM
For the record, energy does recharge slowly, so a Predator who consumed energy on a moderate basis will never run out.

Which is a major reason why I think the disc needs to be energy-reliant.

I didn't ever notice any energy recharging. But now that mention it yeah the Disc used no energy that's pretty ridiculous. Even recalling it didn't see to use any. That's going to be overpowered for sure especially since like I mentioned the throw is so fast. Man why is it that we are now at game three an the Disc is STILL overpowered? You would think they would have taken special care to get it right considering history lol.

WeaN

WeaN

Don't forget that unlike AvP2, now the Pred uncloacks after each attack. That should balance things out, especially disc throwing.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Except that makes absolutely no different to Aliens, and the disc uncloaked the Predator in previous games anyway.

I love that it has to be aimed manually, but, seriously, no energy consumption? I think it would be far more balanced if it were free recall, but it takes a considerable chunk of energy to use.

WeaN

WeaN

Didn't make sense that the Disc would consume energy anyway... how is a throwing disc supposed to use any kind of energy except your own ? That always bugged me in the previous games.
Since now it's not even homming anymore, I really don't mind the fact it uses no energy. As long as the Plasma Caster still does, which DOES make sense, unlike the Disc back then.

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jan 27, 2010, 09:35:36 AM
Except that makes absolutely no different to Aliens, and the disc uncloaked the Predator in previous games anyway.

True. I didn't say it didn't. But back then, only a few weapons uncloacked the Pred... you could still melee and shoot stuff while remaining cloacked, and as you know that's not the case anymore. Since it's definitely gonna make the Pred more vulnerable than it was before, a few advantadges would be welcome, to balance things out a little more.

Even with the ability to remain cloacked when using certain weapons, Preds would get raped in populated AvP2 Team DM games ... I can't even imagine how it's gonna be now.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Quote from: WeaN on Jan 27, 2010, 09:49:40 AM
Didn't make sense that the Disc would consume energy anyway... how is a throwing disc supposed to use any kind of energy except your own ? That always bugged me in the previous games.
Since now it's not even homming anymore, I really don't mind the fact it uses no energy. As long as the Plasma Caster still does, which DOES make sense, unlike the Disc back then.

In either case, it has a homing/tracking system within it.

Quote from: WeaN on Jan 27, 2010, 09:49:40 AMTrue. I didn't say it didn't. But back then, only a few weapons uncloacked the Pred... you could still melee and shoot stuff while remaining cloacked, and as you know that's not the case anymore. Since it's definitely gonna make the Pred more vulnerable than it was before, a few advantadges would be welcome, to balance things out a little more.

Even with the ability to remain cloacked when using certain weapons, Preds would get raped in populated AvP2 Team DM games ... I can't even imagine how it's gonna be now.

Were we playing the same game? Because Predators had the most health and most powerful weaponset.

AJL

AJL

In my opinion this whole weapon foraging in MP is bad, outdated system.
Players should get to select their weapons at spawn. (The only weapons
laying around in the maps should be those left behind by the dead)

I think best system might one where before you spawn into the MP game
you would get this "available items screen" where you can choose what
ever weapons, ammo and gadgets you want to take...

You could have like: 5 Pulse rifles, 3 Flamers, 1 Smartgun, 10 Pulse rifle
clips, 8 Pulse rifle nades, ... (Lot more stuff than you can actually take)

But what ever you take is then gone from your inventory for some time.

And different items would have different replacement times... One pulse
rifle every 10 minutes, one Flamer every 15 min, one smartgun every 30
min, ... one pulse rifle clip every min, one pulse rifle nade every 10 min...

If you take huge loads of the most powerfull toys with you and die again
and again and spam your nades then your left with nothing but garbage
for while...

Mkilbride

Mkilbride

Quote from: AJL on Jan 27, 2010, 09:59:47 AM
In my opinion this whole weapon foraging in MP is bad, outdated system.
Players should get to select their weapons at spawn. (The only weapons
laying around in the maps should be those left behind by the dead)

I think best system might one where before you spawn into the MP game
you would get this "available items screen" where you can choose what
ever weapons, ammo and gadgets you want to take...

You could have like: 5 Pulse rifles, 3 Flamers, 1 Smartgun, 10 Pulse rifle
clips, 8 Pulse rifle nades, ... (Lot more stuff than you can actually take)

But what ever you take is then gone from your inventory for some time.

And different items would have different replacement times... One pulse
rifle every 10 minutes, one Flamer every 15 min, one smartgun every 30
min, ... one pulse rifle clip every min, one pulse rifle nade every 10 min...

If you take huge loads of the most powerfull toys with you and die again
and again and spam your nades then your left with nothing but garbage
for while...

AJL, if modding tools ever get released, or you can hack your way around it, DO THIS.

This is the best suggestion I've read!

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

If there were a class-based system, I'd rather see a simple point-buy system.

It could be simple. A Marine, for instance, could come basic with a pistol, motion tracker, health packs and five extra points (default, alterable by host).

Pulse Rifle, two points. Extra ammo, one point. Grenade ammo, two points.

But perhaps he could instead choose to have a shotgun instead of the 'nade ammo for two of those points. Or a flamethrower.

Or he could forgoe all that malarky and get a smartgun with extra ammo for all five points. If we're modding here, though, I'd also make the smartgun reduce the Marine's walking and sprinting speed.

The Predator would be even simpler - simply choose a weapon (besides the wristblades) to spawn with.

AJL

AJL

I think Marines default (empty = you choose nothing weapon set) should be
just Pistol and Shoulder Lamp...

Motion Tracker, Medpacks and Flares should be items which you can select
but like everything else use up the limited "carrying points"...

The number of "carrying points" Smartgun and Motion Tracker use should
be such that you can't have both...

The Flares I think should be infinite during play... So the number of Flares
you take when you spawn is the number you can use at the same time.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

I agree. This could be extended to Predators, too. They could buy vision modes, the cloaking device, medicomp, ect. It would be fun to combine them with advantages (like selected perks) that everyone has access to but can only select one of.

For instance, a 'TechHead' advantage for Marines that extends the range of his motion tracker and has it refresh more often. Or a 'Hunter' advantage for Predators that allows them to remain cloaked while making wristblade attacks. A 'Runner' advantage for Aliens that cuts out the sprint limit. The kind of stuff that doesn't change damage, health or speed values but contributes to the game tactically.

AJL

AJL

Quote from: MadassAlex on Jan 27, 2010, 10:34:14 AM
I agree. This could be extended to Predators, too. They could buy vision modes, the cloaking device, medicomp, ect. It would be fun to combine them with advantages (like selected perks) that everyone has access to but can only select one of...

I think predators default (empty) should include the Cloaking device and the
Wristblades at least... And instead of selecting/buying vision modes, I think it
would be better to have different quality masks...

The cheapest type of Mask could have only the vision modes while the best
would have vision modes, zooming, auto-targeting support, audio analyzers,
target weakness analyzers, ...

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Wristblades are a given, yeah. 

But if a Predator's going out specifically to fight Aliens, he might consider the cloaking technology dead weight, or at least potential energy consumptions, and opt not to bring it. Conveniently, it'd also free up a point that could be used to represent how Predators arm themselves more heavily for Alien encounters.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed