The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 234,131 times)

Corporal Hicks

They haven't done  good AvP films because they've left behind all the core ideas that made AvP appealing, instead going for the famous aspect that just didn't translate onto screen - the team-up. IMHO anyway.

RakaiThwei

Like, Russ, I happen to be a fan of the AvP movies (more so the first one anyway).. But I think now looking back at it, the first one was definitely better than the sequel. I would really like to see that storyline which the first movie presented continued in someway or another as a separate continuity, rather than just buried and conveniently forgotten despite Fox's seemingly attempt to do so.

At the same time, I do think that we should've gotten the AvP movie which we all wanted and I mean a movie set either in the future in a futuristic megalopolis or a colonized world. But we didn't get that. You could point the finger at either John Davis or Fox for setting the film on Earth but I think that Anderson sincerely wanted to deliver something fans could appreciate.. but fate seemed to have deem otherwise. I can't and won't speak for the Brothers Strause.. as I now acknowledge that Requiem was mean spirited.

And I agree with Russ, I'd love to see an AvP universe themed series but in regards to the diminishing returns.. I think we're at that point already. I mean why the rebooting and everything else?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 02, 2014, 04:57:01 PMAt the same time, I do think that we should've gotten the AvP movie which we all wanted and I mean a movie set either in the future in a futuristic megalopolis or a colonized world. But we didn't get that. You could point the finger at either John Davis or Fox for setting the film on Earth but I think that Anderson sincerely wanted to deliver something fans could appreciate.. but fate seemed to have deem otherwise. I can't and won't speak for the Brothers Strause.. as I now acknowledge that Requiem was mean spirited.

Wasn't it just budget that made them set it in the present? Future apparently = expensive (although trying telling Alien(s) that).

RakaiThwei

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 04, 2014, 08:33:45 AM
Wasn't it just budget that made them set it in the present? Future apparently = expensive (although trying telling Alien(s) that).

I've heard various claims such as the budget being the main reason (although building a futuristic set in Prague is feasible, I'm not too sure on the details on such cost to build a set as such back in 2004-- and even then.. it could green screened) and another claim is that I've heard it was decisions made by either Davis or Anderson.

Corporal Hicks

There were several reasons floated around. I've heard budget but I also heard it was to connect it more to the Predator franchise - which made some sense since Davis is the producer of that license.

SiL

Davis thought Earth would make it scarier.

Russ

From what I know (and have ascertained using my non-existent powers of deduction) Anderson, as Raka says above, really did want to deliver something that the fans would love. I'm not so cynical as to believe that he's just saying "I'm a huge fan of Aliens and Predator" because he's making an AvP movie (look at Event Horizon – it could be set in the alien-verse). However, his hallmark is that he makes good looking, extremely profitable movies for a low budget.

I'm sure that his pitch and "vision" had Colonial Marines charging around a Predator pyramid fighting an alien infestation or something like that, but it seems to me that Fox really wanted to hedge its bets on this (and the next) movie. I guess you can't level that accusation at them for "Prometheus" though, I'm sure that was quite expensive – if not as entertaining as AvP (in my opinion).

But yes, I am sure that AvP was earth-bound because of the budget, and we know that AvP:R was under stringent budgetary conditions (the Bros definitely wanted space and Fox said "no.").

As for Davis saying he thought it'd be scarier on earth, well yes he did say that, but would it be cynical to suggest that he said that because of the budgetary constraints or because he thought the Antarctic with explorers and archaeologists would be scarier than a space hulk / pyramid with colonial marines?

Don't worry – Shane Black will ensure that this franchise isn't dead...  because the new Predator movie will be good and will make money. Whether the next AvP is any good ... we don't know, but I hope that they really "go for it" in terms of budget.

Or give us the TV show in the 'verse. I'd really love that.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Dec 04, 2014, 11:32:07 AMDon't worry – Shane Black will ensure that this franchise isn't dead...  because the new Predator movie will be good and will make money.

I really hope this is the case. Black is one of my favourite Hollywood players. His 80s/90s scripts were absolute dynamite (I watched The Long Kiss Goodnight just a few days ago - probably my favourite ever Samuel L. Jackson role), and I hope he can bring a little of that fizz to the new film (even if he isn't writing the whole thing).

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ on Dec 04, 2014, 11:32:07 AM
Whether the next AvP is any good ... we don't know, but I hope that they really "go for it" in terms of budget.

Or give us the TV show in the 'verse. I'd really love that.

I still think there's plenty of potential to do it right. I reckon we're not far off seeing a new one soon either. Everything feels very orientated around reinvigorating the franchises at the minute. I might be reading too into it but that's my impression.

RakaiThwei

The only thing going for me right now is Shane's movie. What scares me is that I don't know what his ideas are, but I just hope that they are something which I happen to agree with. After PREDATORS, for me anyway and probably only me-- things have been quite downhill for me. And with Fox's seemingly attempt to bury the AvP movies (and seemingly pretending they don't exist as I have not seen any 10th anniversary DVD or Blu-ray re-releases) and probably a bulk of the old EU to accommodate Prometheus but also incorporating elements of PREDATORS, I sort of gave up on the EU.

So Shane's movie is really all I have going at this point, and he's teamed up with another film maker who's films I happened to like in order to write the script.. And with Shane having done re-writes to the original Predator, I shouldn't be worried.. but at the same time I'm just a little wary after PREDATORS.

Ultramorph

I wonder when Titan will officially announce Rage War and give us some general information. Hopefully before New Years.

DarthJoker45

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 04, 2014, 04:16:40 PM
The only thing going for me right now is Shane's movie. What scares me is that I don't know what his ideas are, but I just hope that they are something which I happen to agree with. After PREDATORS, for me anyway and probably only me-- things have been quite downhill for me. And with Fox's seemingly attempt to bury the AvP movies (and seemingly pretending they don't exist as I have not seen any 10th anniversary DVD or Blu-ray re-releases) and probably a bulk of the old EU to accommodate Prometheus but also incorporating elements of PREDATORS, I sort of gave up on the EU.

So Shane's movie is really all I have going at this point, and he's teamed up with another film maker who's films I happened to like in order to write the script.. And with Shane having done re-writes to the original Predator, I shouldn't be worried.. but at the same time I'm just a little wary after PREDATORS.

What do you mean? Do you not like this new EU or something? This is probably the best time for Alien, Predator, AVP, and Prometheus fans. We have gotten three solid Alien novels. We have a great 17-issue comic reboot event with Fire and Stone. We also have probably one of the best Alien games to ever be released in the form of Alien Isolation. Reviews have been overall positive for all three of these media tie-ins. While Prometheus did have its flaws, I generally like the ideas that it introduced. I think that Dark Horse has used these ideas very well from the film, and they have made a very gripping and interesting tale. Even though  AVP Fire and Stone has gotten a very mixed reception, it is still solid, and it has resurrected the concept by including it with Prometheus. Also, I have disagree about Predators. It did a very solid job of expanding the Predator mythology while at the same time bringing the series back to what made the first film great in the first place.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Dec 04, 2014, 09:12:20 PM
What do you mean? Do you not like this new EU or something?

I'm saying that I'm not interested in the new EU. Now I haven't said that I hated it or anything, just that I am not interested in the comics or the novels which are being put out. And sure there are reviews out there but they're not enough to get me hooked, line and reeled in. For me, the old stuff is where it is.

While Prometheus did have its flaws, I generally like the ideas that it introduced. I think that Dark Horse has used these ideas very well from the film, and they have made a very gripping and interesting tale.

I liked Prometheus when it came out in theatres, I liked the movie a lot but now.. I just don't seem to like it as much as I did two years ago but I still like it. What just irks me a bit is how they're accommodating EVERYTHING for Prometheus. I can understand that for Alien, but Predator? As a Predator/AvP fan.. I'd rather they left Predator out of that.

I'm just hoping that Lebbon doesn't do anything extremely radical and different with the Predators, like Shirely did with the Hish with his Predator series. But since we have the Yautja and Hish interpretations, I suppose a third wouldn't hurt.. of course he could just write the as Predators, just amoral Hunters who are out for killing for thrills as Hicks and I discussed.

Of course, if he wants to use the normal and Super Predators, I wouldn't mind if he used the Yautja concept for the normal Predators, but writes the Super Predators as Hish.. But I also wouldn't mind it if he didn't use either or.

Also, I have disagree about Predators. It did a very solid job of expanding the Predator mythology while at the same time bringing the series back to what made the first film great in the first place.

We'll have to agree to disagree there. I've stated many times on why I did not like PREDATORS, so I'll give you the short and skinny. I didn't like the preserve planet as I felt it eschewed what the first movie established of these hunters going from world to world as part of a challenging thrill, nor did I like the Super Predators as I felt they devalued the original creature. It felt like a love letter to the first, but also a rehashing of the first. Some scenes were shot for shot remakes.

I don't think I wouldn't have minded the movie had it been marketed and labeled as a reboot than a sequel. Supposedly from what I heard, it was supposed to be a reboot but someone changed their minds.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

QuoteDrawing to the end of Predator: INCURSION, the first of the Rage War Trilogy for Titan. It's been fun! I now have to go and destroy a spaceship.

Tim Lebbon just posted this on Facebook.

Suspects a release at the end of 2015. Is checking.

predxeno

QuoteI liked Prometheus when it came out in theatres, I liked the movie a lot but now.. I just don't seem to like it as much as I did two years ago but I still like it. What just irks me a bit is how they're accommodating EVERYTHING for Prometheus. I can understand that for Alien, but Predator? As a Predator/AvP fan.. I'd rather they left Predator out of that.

Now that the AVP: Fire and Stone series has finished up I can see what you mean.  I respect Prometheus's story by itself but I still don't think it needs to be the Alien franchise's backyard; this is especially true considering that the series is aimed more toward the casual audience than the die-hard Alien fans.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed