Reassembling Opinions, Talking Alien 3 With Alien Anthology Producer Charles de Lauzirika – AvPGalaxy Podcast #107

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 11, 2020, 02:54:56 PM

Author
Reassembling Opinions, Talking Alien 3 With Alien Anthology Producer Charles de Lauzirika – AvPGalaxy Podcast #107 (Read 10,451 times)

DaveT937

Hey! Leave the Corp alone!  ;D Waffle away I say!

And yes, no doubt that you didn't 'scoop' them. They wouldn't have put this on Facebook if they were pissed.

I particularly liked Charles' views on the super facehugger and fandom ie damned if you do, damned if you don't!

And also interesting to hear about Terry Rawlings. He opened a showing of Alien at my local cinema last March and must've been one of his last public outings. He was having his ear chewed off by some bloke behind me and I'm gutted I didn't save him and introduce myself!

Great work Corp!

AVP-CAPCOM

Is ALIEN 3 a good movie though?

Nice interview. That said I think Charles de Lauzirika's glorified fancut of alien 3 took it from a 3/5 movie to a 3.5/5 movie. The production values and attention to detail and remastering are indeed a 4/5 effort. Charles de Lauzirika went above and beyond what he was contracted to do.
That said you can't polish a turd like alien 3, even with a CGI redoing of the runner/ox/dog alien rod puppet effects. It doesn't fix any of the film's flaws.

Fincher already said alien 3 was a studio politics disaster. Let's leave it at that.

Kradan

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on May 13, 2020, 06:38:03 PM
Is ALIEN 3 a good movie though?

Nice interview. That said I think Charles de Lauzirika's glorified fancut of alien 3 took it from a 3/5 movie to a 3.5/5 movie. The production values and attention to detail and remastering are indeed a 4/5 effort. Charles de Lauzirika went above and beyond what he was contracted to do.
That said you can't polish a turd like alien 3, even with a CGI redoing of the runner/ox/dog alien rod puppet effects. It doesn't fix any of the film's flaws.

Fincher already said alien 3 was a studio politics disaster. Let's leave it at that.

There's only one Alien movie you can use word "turd" referring to. We all know the name of it.

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Kradan on May 13, 2020, 07:56:10 PMThere's only one Alien movie you can use word "turd" referring to. We all know the name of it.

Resurrection or Requiem?

Kradan

Keyes

Quote from: Lauzirika on May 12, 2020, 08:27:14 PM
Looks I misspoke, re: a Terry Rawlings intro. I just checked my Quadrilogy DVD of A3, and indeed, there's no Rawlings intro there. I feel like we shot one, but I guess it didn't make the cut for some reason. Interestingly, there is a text intro, where the term "Assembly Cut" is used -- so now we know where that name for the long cut of A3 came from.

Sorry for any confusion. Like I said...it's been 17 years!

Thanks for looking Charles, unfortunately the UK Region 2 set didn't even have this text intro! I always thought it was strange there was no video intro like the other films in the set.

SiL

The R4 had it as text on the inside of the case.

Corporal Hicks

SiL

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 13, 2020, 05:10:59 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2020, 10:17:00 AM
About halfway through so far and really enjoying it.

About 1/4 in, though the Corporal does tend to waffle on a bit. Does Charles also get to talk a bit later on?

Hadn't really noticed I was waffling during the edit. But fair. Apologies.

Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2020, 08:25:44 AM
Threw the case out years ago :'(

Boooo!

SiL

It was titled "rumour control" and basically outlined that the SE was not a true Director's Cut (as such would be impossible) or even a real early version of the film, but more a facsimile of an earlier concept of the film with deleted elements to give viewers a look into what "could have been". It wasn't intended as a "better" version of the film, rather to show all the elements people had heard about for so long but not seen.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2020, 09:15:36 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 13, 2020, 05:10:59 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 13, 2020, 10:17:00 AM
About halfway through so far and really enjoying it.

About 1/4 in, though the Corporal does tend to waffle on a bit. Does Charles also get to talk a bit later on?

Hadn't really noticed I was waffling during the edit. But fair. Apologies.

Naw, it's cool. Just taking the piss outta ya, it's my job around here in case you haven't noticed.  :P

I remember seeing that somewhere before but can't recall where exactly.

Quote from: SiL on May 14, 2020, 09:50:26 AM
It was titled "rumour control" and basically outlined that the SE was not a true Director's Cut (as such would be impossible) or even a real early version of the film, but more a facsimile of an earlier concept of the film with deleted elements to give viewers a look into what "could have been". It wasn't intended as a "better" version of the film, rather to show all the elements people had heard about for so long but not seen.

Keyes

Oh, that text was part of the Quadrilogy booklet. I've got that  :)

Darkness

Finally got around to listening to this. About half way through so far. Very interesting about how the Assembly Cut came about. I was always curious about what involvement Fincher actually with it. I think I recall reading at the time that Fincher gave them their 'blessing' to do it.

I'll try and get this one transcribed some time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed