Neill Blomkamp's Alien never reached film

Started by The Old One, Apr 03, 2020, 04:08:15 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's Alien never reached film (Read 23,145 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Any thoughts on why?
Neill Blomkamp's Alien V/
Alternate: Alien³/Aliens: sequel?

The Old One

The Old One

I don't think we'll ever know for sure but my guess' regardless of praise 20th Century Fox felt it leaned uncomfortably once more into Resurrection's bizarre territory judging by the suit concept art.

windebieste

He kept aksing for more money for the production.

Fox said "No."

End of story.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

From Blomkamp's comments it would seem to because of Scott's involvement.

My own guess is that a big reason would be Fox felt uncomfortable bankrolling 2 Alien films at once.

Kradan

Quote from: windebieste on Apr 05, 2020, 01:17:51 AM
He kept aksing for more money for the production.

Fox said "No."

End of story.

-Windebieste.

:D

And they lived happily ever after

Drukathi

I think he could interfere with Ridley. And if Alien 5 were successful, we would see Alien 6, not AC.
It's funny, but Ridley was pretty passive about Prometheus's sequel until Blomkamp appeared with another project.

Kane's other son

Chappie happened.

Blomkamp was doing concept art and writing the script and then Chappie came out, was savaged and flopped and Fox lost faith. Blomkamp was was no longer the guy who did District 9 but the guy who followed District 9 with a disappointment and a dud.

We also have no idea if the script was really up to scratch or if it was financially feasible to do it.

SiL

Chappie had been out for a while when A5 was announced ???

Kane's other son

Blomkamp first hinted he was doing Alien in early 2015, just before Chappie was released. I'm
pretty sure he already had a deal with Fox in place to develop his script and he was not really soliciting through Instagram.

SM

I have heard that Blomkamp likes doing things his own way with the implication that he wanted more control than Fox was willing to give.

No idea if that is true, however.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2020, 07:58:41 AM

My own guess is that a big reason would be Fox felt uncomfortable bankrolling 2 Alien films at once.

For what its it's worth, there was at least some limited degree of communication between the two parties. Scott was aware of what Blomkamp was doing, and only asked Blomkamp to change one thing because it would have contradicted what his story was doing.

Local Trouble

What was the one thing?

The Old One

The Old One

I imagine something to do with the Derelict.

Kimarhi

Despite liking Blomkamps stuff, his ideas on Alien 5 were as bad as the ideas we got.  I think Ripley in an Alien suit was enough for fox to say naw bruh.

There is a big whole galaxy out there to f**k around in, and people are hung up on like three different locales and five characters.   

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 07, 2020, 12:00:23 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 06, 2020, 07:58:41 AM

For what its it's worth, there was at least some limited degree of communication between the two parties. Scott was aware of what Blomkamp was doing, and only asked Blomkamp to change one thing because it would have contradicted what his story was doing.

It was comments Blomkamp made after that that made it sound like like he was pinning it on Scott.

Quote"They seemed really into it and Ridley came on as producer and then it just unraveled."

---------

"It's very difficult to speak about on several levels because Ridley created Alien. It was something that inspired me deeply. I got into film because of it. Everything that happened with my script and with the way the film collapsed – it's hard to talk about it without it seeming like I'm bashing him which is like one of my idols to get into film. It's a super strange psychological place but films go down in Hollywood all the time. That's just essentially, I think, what happened and it sucks for me...It's not that it sucks for Sigourney, it's not going to make any difference to her, but I think she really did like the story because it allowed Ripley to...it really felt like a cool third film."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed