NECA Predator Figure Series

Started by Sabres21768, Dec 04, 2010, 06:10:40 AM

Author
NECA Predator Figure Series (Read 1,205,215 times)

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on May 19, 2011, 06:25:42 PM
I feel like that was written in the book "The Winston Effect."

Various other sources too. Joel Silver looked at it and said it looked too much like the creature underneath, giving away the final reveal too early. So the classic pred-mask as wel know it was whipped up in a rush.

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 19, 2011, 09:23:52 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on May 19, 2011, 06:25:42 PM
I feel like that was written in the book "The Winston Effect."

Various other sources too. Joel Silver looked at it and said it looked too much like the creature underneath, giving away the final reveal too early. So the classic pred-mask as wel know it was whipped up in a rush.

Yeah, that we know.

But he's saying someone SPECIFICALLY said that the Gort mask is meant to represent a mech version of the Pred's face.

That, I've never heard before, so I'm looking for a source.

ridetofight

ridetofight

i've heard/read the same thing somewhere before. couldn't tell you where, though (although i want to say it was video, not print).

however, from what i remember, it was either from a source not close to the development of the mask, or was just a way of phrasing how they were trying to describe the mask - i don't remember having the understanding that the "gort" mask was strictly intended as a mechanical interpretation from its inception.

one thing that has always made me a big fan of this mask is it's design similarities to the terminator endoskeleton - really cool congruence for an important effects studio, kind of marking the pinnacle of their design prowess.

Taraka

Taraka

Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 19, 2011, 05:52:54 PM
Quote from: Taraka on May 19, 2011, 12:19:05 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 19, 2011, 04:49:04 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what Cap said.

No. He said it hinted at the face, not that it actually was a mech-interpretation.

Please post whatever source it was you got the "mech-interpreatation" info from.

I've never seen that anywhere.

Ok.

-"Initially, the mask design was a mechanical interpretation of the creature's face. To avoid giving away the look of the creature too early in the film, SWS later changed the mask design to a simpler, more 'tribal' look.

The Winston Effect, p 104.

If you don't have the book, I'll take a picture of the page itself tomorrow.

LLIT

LLIT

^

Semantics Takara. It's the same thing. Are you trying to look smarter or more of an expert on this? If so, WHO CARES?

Sabres21768

Sabres21768

Quote from: Taraka on May 20, 2011, 04:23:20 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 19, 2011, 05:52:54 PM
Quote from: Taraka on May 19, 2011, 12:19:05 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 19, 2011, 04:49:04 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much exactly what Cap said.

No. He said it hinted at the face, not that it actually was a mech-interpretation.

Please post whatever source it was you got the "mech-interpreatation" info from.

I've never seen that anywhere.

Ok.

-"Initially, the mask design was a mechanical interpretation of the creature's face. To avoid giving away the look of the creature too early in the film, SWS later changed the mask design to a simpler, more 'tribal' look.

The Winston Effect, p 104.

If you don't have the book, I'll take a picture of the page itself tomorrow.

Good deal, thanks for posting that.

I really do need to pick up a copy of that book.

Quote from: LLIT on May 20, 2011, 05:17:37 PM
^

Semantics Takara. It's the same thing. Are you trying to look smarter or more of an expert on this? If so, WHO CARES?

Hey dude, no need to be rude to him.

He was right and he proved it.

Tribal

Tribal

Changing the subject...

I asked Randy on twitter about the AVP figures :)

"Are you 100% sure NECA won't do the AVP preds? I'm dont want to spend my money in those crap mcfarlane ones :(

Answer:

"not certain but if we did them it would be more than a year away since it will take at least that long b4 all the Lost are out"

Well, i know its not a real confirmation... but at least he changed his speech from "No! Never! I hate them!" to "Not certain... if we did them..."

This little things makes my day  ;D

Taraka

Taraka

Quote from: LLIT on May 20, 2011, 05:17:37 PM
^

Actually, it's because he asked. And it's Taraka with an R, thank you.

I agree we need to change the subject.

Sidenote: Sabres, I REALLY recommend The Winston Effect. It's expensive, but REEEEEEEALLY cool. Especially when it turns out you watched some stuff he worked on and didn't even know it.

Tribal, dude I think us bugging them about the AVP pred's actually worked, though I'm kinda sad knowing if they do, they're just going to re-release the alien warriors from requiem with a different head, then re-release THAT with a different lower leg for Alien Resurrection figures.

Yeah I'd say Neca's got alot coming.

Blades

Blades

so many things coming our way !!!

Shadow

Shadow

why should neca pass on the avp preds because they don't like them? if they would sell, they should do them, right?

any news on the release dates for the first wave of lost preds?

georgeromero

georgeromero

Quote from: Shadow on May 21, 2011, 09:30:25 AM
why should neca pass on the avp preds because they don't like them? if they would sell, they should do them, right?

That's the most childish thing i ever heard. It's us fans who pay for action figures so they have to release them not otherwise.

Taraka

Taraka

Yeah, they've made it clear that they make stuff for the fans. It's probably why almost all the figures are about 20 bucks each, but the work they do and the service, I gotta tell ya I don't mind.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Tribal on May 20, 2011, 08:28:58 PM
Changing the subject...

I asked Randy on twitter about the AVP figures :)

"Are you 100% sure NECA won't do the AVP preds? I'm dont want to spend my money in those crap mcfarlane ones :(

Answer:

"not certain but if we did them it would be more than a year away since it will take at least that long b4 all the Lost are out"

Well, i know its not a real confirmation... but at least he changed his speech from "No! Never! I hate them!" to "Not certain... if we did them..."

This little things makes my day  ;D

AvP figures, really, would you buy them? They're expendable beyond words, feeling like toy variants all the same...

jhsnake999

jhsnake999

I really want these Predators but I don't have enough money, I'm saving for a few of the older Predator models though. I found a cheap model shop that sells Predator models for like £9.50 brand new. So I'm going to get the whole line of Predators series one models and the two Alien models. I will then start with the newer Predators like Tracker and Masked Classic Predator.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

At around 15-20 bucks each, they're actually quite acceptable IMO. That's about 200 for the full P2 line-up, a steal IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed