Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film

Started by CorruptionSolid, Jun 14, 2011, 09:56:14 AM

Author
Alien Vault: The Definitive Story of the Making of the Film (Read 22,994 times)

CorruptionSolid

I just find this on amazon. It's upcoming Alien book call Alien Vault. It's featuring details behind the making of Alien (1979).

http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Vault-Definitive-Story-Making/dp/0760341125

Corporal Hicks

I wonder what new stuff they could possibly have in this book.

Divpax

176 pages? I want this, hope it'll have good photos of the suit and Bolaji.

Corporal Hicks

http://www.qbookshop.com/products/193410/9780760341124/Alien-Vault.html

Alien Vault reveals the details behind the making of the groundbreaking 1979 science-fiction horror film, one of the cult classics of the genre. This licensed, behind-the-scenes guide examines the creation of the movie via director Ridley Scott's hand-drawn storyboards, concept sketches, script pages, spaceship blueprints, never-before-seen production photos, and rare collectible memorabilia.

Valaquen

The writer apparently worked for Empire. Cue tons of regurgitated quotes. Hopefully I'm wrong.

SM

I'm vaguely intrigued by 'never-before-seen production photos' but I can't imagine what else new they'll have to add.

SiL

It'd be nice to have a "Making Of" book that's both A) licensed and B) not riddled with unsubstantiated hearsay (I'm looking at you, Beautiful Monsters). I prefer the books to documentaries -- easier to get a book and open the right page, than check a DVD.

SM

Book Of Alien, the Official Movie Magazine and Alien - The Special Effects all fit that bill.

Though something akin to Paul Sammon's Future Noir would be certainly welcome - but that ran to over 400 pages rather than a mere 176.

SiL

All I've got is The Book of Alien from that list -- and from memory it was a much more general overview with emphasis on the effects, not the whole making of.

SM

Alien - The Special Effects is almost solely about design and effects.  Book Of Alien does have a lot of design and effects stuff too, but also talks about the setting and creature, and the genesis of the project.  Not much about the cast and shooting.  And since it was a studio publicity tie-in like Making of Alien Resurrection, you're not going to really get anything remotely controversial.  The magazine had more on cast and characters, but again, no nitty gritty.

So while there would be a place in print for more on the actual shooting - between the official docos and Dennis Lowe's movies (ahem...) is there anything really left to tell?

SiL

Not everyone has the official docos or Dennis Lowe's (cough).

Vulhala

I enjoyed the Dennis Lowe stuff.

SiL

So did I.

SM wouldn't know, though.

Cough.

Vulhala

Oh. Well, if it's any consolation SM, it's easily some of the most informative stuff I've seen on the movies since forever.

Corporal Hicks

I do believe our SiL was supposed to burn and supply his fellow Aussie with the docs  :P

Likewise, I've only got Book of Alien out of that list but it's been a while since I read it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed