Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2019, 10:21:32 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 Would Have Used Practical Alien Effects (Read 28,713 times)

Corporal Hicks

The good folk over at HN Entertainment recently had the opportunity to talk to Amalgamated Dynamics Inc‘s Alec Gillis and the topic of Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5 inevitably came up. Though unable to talk in much detail about ADI’s work on the film, Alec did reveal that Neill had been intending to go practical with the Alien effects and re-affirmed that the asthetic would have referred closer to H.R Giger’s original design.

"That's why I was looking forward to Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 because that would have given us the opportunity to do more in the spirit of Giger's alien. We were looking at the 1979 alien all the way but Neill did want changes to make on it. As great as Neill's CGI looks, I don't know if you've seen the latest thing he did Anthem? His CGI just looks so there and present, Chris Harvey his VFX supervisor they just have a great team.

And I said to Neill like 'Why aren't you doing this all digitally?' cause if it's biomechanical and harder-edged it lends itself to digital and I'm just surprised that a digital. He said 'I want real a real man in a suit on set because it forces you into a certain way of shooting that would be more like what Ridley Scott did in the first film. If it's all digital I won't have those parameters work within and it's gonna end up looking like something different and I don't want that, I want it to look like Ridley Scott did it'. That's how he thinks and I can guarantee you there's no studio executive in the world that would say that because they don't see things in that specific and nuanced of a way."

Last October Blomkamp released an image of a marquette that ADI had done for the film, showing an Alien that looked very much like Giger’s original Alien – except this one had an extra set of arms.

Though Neill Blomkamp has previously said that his Alien 5 is dead in the water, James Cameron recently commented that he was working on making Blomkamp’s vision of an Alien film a relatively. How serious that comment was still remains to be seen.

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

Jesscobb

It's a shame it wasn't made, I hated Prometheus and covenant. Puppetry and practical effects look better,cgi to me is used way too much,same as green screens. Movies today look more like video games.

P-Rock

Man, all Cameron said was 'yeaaaah, working on that!', when someone asked him about Blomkamp's Alien project. Imo that translates to: Game over man, game over!!

Anyway, a good Alien movie would use both practical effects and cgi.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Jesscobb on Feb 25, 2019, 11:46:02 AM
It's a shame it wasn't made...

I'd be interested to know how Blomkaliens would have been like  :)

I hated Prometheus and covenant. Puppetry and practical effects look better,cgi to me is used way too much,same as green screens. Movies today look more like video games.

but BUT! Prometheus had a decent balance between practical effects & cgi ??? and the Engineer/Prometheus setting is real and solid as life itself  :-\

JokersWarPig

What could have (and should have) been  :'(

Perfect-Organism

I hope this film gets made!  (Jumping in to the conversation)

P-Rock

I hope it doesn't! Blomkamp is a very mediocre director.

Kane's other son

My problem is that Blomkamp has shown no growth as a storyteller. If anything, he has regressed after Chappie. His shorts, including Anthem, are trailers with no self-contained stories to tell. Just a collection of cool visuals.

EeeeyyyForgotMyPassword

EeeeyyyForgotMyPassword

I hope they retcon the entire franchise to only Alien and Aliens(plus Isolation) being canon.

P-Rock

I've seen his short with Sigourney and that was, from what I remember, pretty bad.

maron

All of those kind of news are just depressing at this point.

Xenomorphine

It's a shame it wasn't made, I hated Prometheus and covenant. Puppetry and practical effects look better,cgi to me is used way too much,same as green screens. Movies today look more like video games.

Quote from: Kane's other son on Feb 25, 2019, 02:16:58 PM
My problem is that Blomkamp has shown no growth as a storyteller. If anything, he has regressed after Chappie. His shorts, including Anthem, are trailers with no self-contained stories to tell. Just a collection of cool visuals.

You're looking at them wrong. The Oats Studio stuff is intentionally full of what amount to pitches. They aren't meant to be seen as self-contained end results. They show the potential of a concept and are shown around to other studios, in the hope of securing funding for full-length projects.

Adam802

Of course, not surprising to hear.

#MakeItHappen Neil!

The Old One

The Old One

Whatever.

A new quote.
& A pastiche, one alteration maquette.
Spoiler

Poor alteration.
[close]

Local Trouble

Why does that alien have four arms?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed