AvP Requiem Reviews Roundup

Started by Darkness, Dec 26, 2007, 03:44:54 PM

Author
AvP Requiem Reviews Roundup (Read 32,298 times)

Milan

Milan

So why is this movie so bad? From what I'm been reading ppl are killing this movie over stuff like, it could have been lighter, Wolf couldn't be a bad ass, there couldn't be any humans in it, the fights could have been longer, there could have been better acting from the actors who fans didn't want there in the first place.  So if the "brothers" could have done it your way we would have wolf and a regular alien star in a 3 hour long fight scene in daylight and on the moon. And that fight would have 395 plsma shots, 63 whip hits, 425 wristblade hits, 17 front kicks, 398 headbites, 420 tail strikes, and 717 acid burns will force wolf to use his medkit.  And it will end in a draw...  Now all we can do is hope that the brothers will listen to us (fans) and make this happen in Avp3. :)

killzonewith bladesandteet

hey Milan you forgot to mention that the Alien accidentally knocks out the referee gets uses his devastating finishing move on the predator pins him  with what could have been a 10 count but meanwhile the referee who i s groggy begins his three count and just as he was about to hit the 3 predator kicks out..........not!! As the Strauss Bros said they didn't want to make the fights WWE style

cubanb82

cubanb82

"Rayne | 29 Dec 2007 00:20 321  Now, understand this: I'm a Predator fan all the way. I fell in love from the first Predator movie. I borrowed all the pred movies and the first AvP for so long from my bf that he let me have them for my birthday, lol. If someone could let me know what was happening at the end of the movie? I didn't understand (AvP-R)."  The ending was a reference to Ripley's employers, Weyland-Yutani.  When she says, "The world isn't ready for this technology", and the colonel says, "But this technology isn't for this world, it it, Mrs. Yutani?".... that is a reference to Weyland-Yutani's motto, "Building Better Worlds"... in effect, it's saying that LV426, the nostromo; basically all WY's advancements were aided by predator technology.  That was a scene a lot of critics just didn't get. A true fan knows.  continued in next comment..

cubanb82

cubanb82

In response to all the critics griping over the lighting, I am but one person, but I'm sure I share the same sentiment. This movie was supposed to be like that. It's not just about the technical/practical effects aspect, it's the atmosphere that an ALIEN film is innately fused with.  As for the sped up life cycle, I would like to point out that these films don't have the timeline (story-wise) to wait a few days for a xenomorph to gestate, it's a give and take, however, this is a very large part of the ALIEN mythos, so I do understand the complaint. I do not agree with those who find this to be a problem, however, because while I am an ALIEN purist, I am also able to understand that it doesn't take away from the story.. meaning, to have these creatures grow faster. As an eager audience member, I try to realize that it's a privilege to even get to see these creatures stand toe to toe.   cont'd in next comment

cubanb82

cubanb82

For years we've watched them battle it out on paper, and now we have the chance to enjoy a live action incarnation of their devastation as seen through the vision of two very talented visual artists. Paul W.S. Anderson had these same beasts encompass the same screen space, and could never hope to have created a film like this.  Granted, the majority of the populous would have something changed, or completely committed, and while I'm in favor of fan participation in an effort to make these films great ( as i genuinely thought this one was), I myself do practice a certain degree of humility when approaching these artistic mediums.   As a screenwriter, myself, I can understand many of the complaints given to this film, however, there is also the very important fact that film is an art form that at times becomes less about the story and more about everything that was done to create it in the eyes of the viewer. We, I believe, have become desensitized by so many advancements in visual effects, that we have lost sight of the fact that these advancements were meant to enhance our joy, not dismantle it.  In science fiction stories, we come to expect certain elements, and that is at the heart of my plea to keep an open mind, and by that I mean, to embrace the story regardless of how far fetched it may seem. That is why it's called fiction. It's not real, therefore it's not subject to the laws we are used to adhering in the real world.  cont in next comment..

cubanb82

cubanb82

Sometimes forgotten are the days when we watched a movie to immerse ourselves in the world created. In this case, i felt the film had a very genuine feel of a small town in peril.. I could have studied every aspect of it, knowing that it was in fact, the actual lot used to create STARS HOLLOW for the TV show GILMORE GIRLS (it was, it really was), but I made an effort and succeeded at keeping my technical/analytical side from recalling such facts so i could be fully immersed in this fantasy.  All in all, for the sake of appreciating all film, I implore those of you who want more and more and more, to remember that there are two facts we could benefit from acknowledging.   1. Film is a collective union of talented hard working people who make an effort to combine their talents in order to produce what you see, and it's extremely ego centric and less than kind to disregard their work so easily with a single sentence... i.e. "This film sucks!"... "This film was trash!" In essence all I'm saying, while it may seem out of context is, try to cultivate more appreciation for the craft, and enjoyment of film will be nurtured.  Cont in next comment..

cubanb82

cubanb82

2. If you do not have access to a film set, do not have a film camera, do not write screenplays, or do not know the ins and outs of being a DP (director of photography).. my own humble opinion would be to research all the things you did not like, and apply them to your own film project, and if you can not afford to produce your own film, at least appreciate the people who are willing to make films FOR YOU.  I hope you guys found this helpful, and I am in no way advocating, inciting, or attempting to incite an argument. I grow weary of these rebuttals in written form, to complete strangers, when we could be having an open dialog in the spirit of actual communication.  All in all, it was a worthy film to me, fortunately, I am aware and proud to say that that IS NOT all that matters.  thanks for listening. :-)

nudzi

nudzi

Hehe , spot on cuban. Now lets see how the haters will counter THAT!

Ben

Ben

You know, i am from Holland and i just gaint my predalien and alien LOL   ;D  

cubanb82

cubanb82

"nudzi | 30 Dec 2007 12:15 337  Hehe , spot on cuban. Now lets see how the haters will counter THAT!"  I do appreciate your comment, but my intent is to share ideas in the spirit of good will. I'm not concerned with someone responding negatively, because it likely will occur, regardless. That is not the issue, however. I WANT people to respond, but my intent is to learn from other's ideas and views. Impermanence is what it's about to me, meaning, I don't want to have a static view of any philosophy.

Avplover1532

Avplover1532

i loved avp-2!! i was so glad and what a awesome movie it was!! was not sadden a bit!!   ;D  

KAGE

KAGE

Hey Cuban.  I am one of those people that said AVPr sucked.  But maybe for differant reasons then everyone else.  I couldn't see a god dam thing.  It was way to dark.  I saw an interview with "the brothers" and they talked about how they used the "cameron" ridges for the alien head....I couldn't even tell if they aliens had ridges on their heads.  all i could see was black and silver teeth.  I could bairly tell the predator and predalien apart most of the time.  Then some one says somethign stupid like "but the alien movies are suppose to be dark"....yes but this is to dark.   For all this expertise and hard work you talk about, you'd think they would watch the movie once before they released it and say "hey we better lighten this movie up some.....I CAN"T SEE A GOD DAM THING.  There are lots of good pictures of the predalien on the web and you can see the light skin tone on its belly....I couldn't see that in the movie.  All you have to do i stick an alien on screen for 2 hours and i'm going to like it.  I loved P.andersons avp.  But if I can't see it then i've wasted my money, and the movie is going to get a "IT SUCKED" form me.

Fury_616

Fury_616

From the tone of most of these reviews, it sounds to me that the reviewers feel that the Strause brothers committed the worst possible sin: to make a sequel to a market-driven franchise cross-over that's actually worth watching.  The critics can't have that, so they crap all over it.  That's one of the reasons why I'm hoping AVP3 will come out, so it will piss them off even more, maybe make their heads explode or something.  Furthermore, even though critics loved Juno, I think AVP2 handled the topic of unwanted pregnancy more realistically than Juno did ...   ;)  

Darth Mouth

Darth Mouth

AvP - R is great,but name is wrong.......PREDATOR 3 is better   :)  

cubanb82

cubanb82

Well said, Fury 616, very well said.  Have you ever noticed how everyone has to have the last word? What is up with that?   This Kage fellow is a perfect example how how to NOT take everything into consideration, which I accept because he is entitled to his own opinion, but why did he have to express it to me, ya know? Why put, "Hey Cuban" at the start of the post?   I grow tired of all this egocentricity. I post because I want to share Ideas, not go out of my way to make someone i disagree with know my side.. that is not communication, that is self centered, self serving, ignorant, unintellectual, and pointless.  If he had said it with some respect (meaning, trying to exchange ideas and not dictate his thoughts to feed his ego) I'd be more apt to agree with him, and in some respects i see where hes coming from, but show some class. We may not all be in the same room, but we can certainly act accordingly, regardless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed