Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 293,999 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, I've read gazillions of threads about the Arcturian issue.  :laugh:

But personally I prefer if they kept the realistic hard-edged feel of the Alien universe. The chance of humans encountering intelligent humanoid alien life within the next hundred to two hundred years is extremely slim even with FTL capability.

It also makes the discovery of the Space Jockey in Alien so much more awe-inspiring.

KiramidHead

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 17, 2015, 01:02:02 PM
...I don't think the Arcturians should feature in Alien 5. Unless Copley is gonna play one.

Or Yolandi.  :laugh:

Corporal Hicks

She would be pretty amazing. Especially with those black eyes from Ugly Boy. She looks so otherwordly but yet human that it just really freaks me out.

KiramidHead

And then Ninja walks in as a marine. "You said you were female!"

NetworkATTH

If anything, if we're going to talk about "Arcturian Poontang", it should be addressed that in the year 2179, people are still f**ked up enough to dominate, probably a smaller community deciding to revolt against corporate interest, to send out marines, who are at that point, basically corporate security to keep the endless flow of cash and exploitation and lack of education going, in an endless expanse of depression. Transgender colonists, or colonists who are forced into acting as transgender, usually under age from the years of 15-18  for the pleasure of marines, is hardly a joke. The entire thing is depressing and f**ked. The fact people in the armed services used to joke about teenagers they f**ked and reducing them to "you f**ked a trap" is pretty sickening actually. Or how many teenagers in Vietnam were trafficked, beaten, etc.

All of this, surprisingly, fits in how terrible the world of Alien is, so good on James Cameron.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

KiramidHead

NetworkATTH

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Mar 17, 2015, 04:05:27 PM
If you can't be with the one you love...

f**k the 15 year old prostitute who probably gets beaten for not putting out well enough because they have to f**k for money for some pimp who can take advantage of it because poverty is devastating and people took the first opportunity to exploit children for fast cash? That this existence of misery and trauma is thrust upon their development as children that will leave them permanently scarred?

Corporal Hicks

That depends entirely on the actual intention of that singular phrase. I really don't expect that was what Jim Cameron intended. And the ambiguity of it is quite obvious as this discussion is still being had.

thecaffeinatedone

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2015, 02:28:23 PMI'd prefer it to be some other species. To widen the universe.
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2015, 02:28:23 PM
To widen the universe
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger
http://media.giphy.com/media/11aitZSSRhHYuQ/giphy.gif

You guys are silly billies.

QuoteTransgender colonists, or colonists who are forced into acting as transgender, usually under age from the years of 15-18  for the pleasure of marines, is hardly a joke. The entire thing is depressing and f**ked.

QuoteBut personally I prefer if they kept the realistic hard-edged feel of the Alien universe. The chance of humans encountering intelligent humanoid alien life within the next hundred to two hundred years is extremely slim even with FTL capability.

It also makes the discovery of the Space Jockey in Alien so much more awe-inspiring.

^ ^
This, not only does this explanation fit more with the universe but it doesn't conflict tonally with the depressing-ass hard-edge world that they're trying to create.

Also, remember when the Space Jockey was just a really cool-looking plot device that foreshadowed what would happen to the crew of the Nostromo? :P

Corporal Hicks

That's not the feeling I get from Alien. It feels to me like whilst not exactly common-place, it's still pretty important. It's one of the things I do really like about River of Pain. The awe-inspiring part of the Jockey is truly how alien that design is and that creature is.

Just opinions and all that.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2015, 04:12:20 PM
That depends entirely on the actual intention of that singular phrase. I really don't expect that was what Jim Cameron intended. And the ambiguity of it is quite obvious as this discussion is still being had.

I think, it was meant to allude to something along those lines. What I just found in bad taste was just the joking about a really terrible point in time for the lives of lots of underage teenagers in Vietnam.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Not all Thai prostitutes were underage or doing it against their will. Also keep in mind that Aliens was made during the mid-eighties, a different era before political correctness became the buzz word. I don't think the Cameron of today would have done it, but back then - certainly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed