Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 24, 2022, 04:22:54 PM

Author
Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro (Read 36,657 times)

Corporal Hicks

Looks like this is now out in the UK. My copy from Amazon just arrived.

Xiggz456

Got pushed back to Nov 8th stateside >:(

felix

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 26, 2022, 11:29:14 AMLooks like this is now out in the UK. My copy from Amazon just arrived.

So how was it?

Corporal Hicks

I've not finished it, but I've been rather enjoying it. My only real complaint so far is it's a little heavy handed on some of the current day politic allegory but it's been relevant to the character and not like Colony War's handling.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

https://twitter.com/vlatinalondon/status/1588176817558622209

I'm about 180 pages in, in Part 3. Mini progress review.

Spoiler
It's taken a while to get to Alien. The first 80 of so pages with Jenette Vasquez I actually really enjoyed. Then we spent another 100 pages with her kids. It's been well written, but it's not really felt Alien as yet. And I don't mean a lack of the creatures, just the world-building. It's felt very contemporary, with the only real Alien feel being the name Vasquez. 
[close]

Wweyland

I will be getting the book soon as well. Would be cool if they reference one of the Vasquez relatives from the EU (sister and cousin I believe).

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 03, 2022, 10:20:13 PMI will be getting the book soon as well. Would be cool if they reference one of the Vasquez relatives from the EU (sister and cousin I believe).

Spoiler
Sister from Colonial Marines is mentioned, as is her nephew from Aftermath.
[close]

Wweyland

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 04, 2022, 06:34:51 AM
Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 03, 2022, 10:20:13 PMI will be getting the book soon as well. Would be cool if they reference one of the Vasquez relatives from the EU (sister and cousin I believe).

Spoiler
Sister from Colonial Marines is mentioned, as is her nephew from Aftermath.
[close]
That's great to hear. I know Cameron also dropped some background tidbits about her and Drake.
About them being juvies or something.
Also wondering how much Drake factors into this and if there are any Bug Hunt connections (probably not).

Corporal Hicks

I'm on page 300 currently. Got another 120 or so left to go. I'm starting to lose interest, unfortunately. While it started strong with the Jenette Vasquez background, it still continues to feel nothing like Aliens. There's random chapters of some research related to the Aliens interspersed throughout the book to remind readers, it is an Alien book, but it just continues to feel so contemporary. There's no twist on things like mobiles or tablets or smart watches.

There's some interesting stuff with the Aliens, but it's also getting silly.

Spoiler
I've been enjoying the things like developing bacteria weapons against the Aliens. I thought it might have been a callback to Labyrinth when it was first brought up, but I think it's just going to be the accelerant now.

But we're doing things like mutating little parasites into little Xenosite and I'm getting images of Spaceballs.
[close]

And I'm starting to see some more and more dialogue that's just not feeling very natural.

Spoiler
Quote"We've both got military in our family, so let the best woman win."
[close]

Looks like the book is now available on Audible now.

Engineer

I've caught the beginning few chapters on audible...

A) this book so far is worse than I could have imagined. I'd rank it as a 0 out of 10 so far.

B) do NOT bother with the audiobook version. The narrator is the worst, most monotoned narrator I've ever heard. Makes frequent, awkward pauses too.

Mr. Clemens

That reminds me, back in the day I had Alien3 read by Lance Henriksen... it was the greatest cure for insomnia I've ever known. :D

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Nov 08, 2022, 09:51:32 PMThat reminds me, back in the day I had Alien3 read by Lance Henriksen... it was the greatest cure for insomnia I've ever known. :D
I wish there was a "laugh" button but a "like" will do lol
The one with Peter Guinness is better.

Sorry for the double post, but both versions of the Alien3 audiobook are available on Audible. The one narrated by Peter Guinness and the one narrated by Lance Henriksen... just in case anyone one is interested...

Engineer

Triple post!
I've figured it out...
The narrator sounds like she's reading erotica the whole time. It's weird af.

Wweyland

Is there any of Drake or the other marines?

Engineer

Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 09, 2022, 11:00:55 PMIs there any of Drake or the other marines?
Yes
Mostly Drake

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed