Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 30, 2016, 08:03:03 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44 (Read 27,431 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 01, 2017, 10:00:59 PM
Regarding taking helmets off in Prometheus.

[as they reach an area of the structure that has water streaming down and the sun shining through the open ceiling]
Charlie Holloway: Look at this!
Elizabeth Shaw: Oh, Charlie!
Ford: Jesus! Sun light's heating the water. Check out the humidity.
Charlie Holloway: Yeah, look at the CO2 levels. Outside it's completely toxic and in...in here, there's nothing. It's breathable.
[as Holloway prepares to take off his helmet]
Elizabeth Shaw: What are you doing? Charlie, don't be an idiot!
Charlie Holloway: Hey, don't be a skeptic. Right? There's something generating an atmosphere. David?
David: Dr. Holloway is correct.
Ford: Cleaner than earth, actually.
Charlie Holloway: They were terraforming here!
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't do...
Charlie Holloway: Look, Eli...
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't!
Charlie Holloway: Eli, I'm not wearing this thing anymore! Wish me luck, babe.
[he takes off his helmet, takes a large breath of the air and laughs]
Elizabeth Shaw: You crazy bastard!

I'd completely forgot about that dialogue. That's just about good enough for me. Would have been nice for some specific comment about toxins and pathogens and etc though. With how much of Covenant seems to be course correcting following Prometheus, I'm sure it'd be something he's taken note of.

SM

Quoteperhaps not so clever of her to run in a straight line most would argue.

Most inexplicably miss her and Shaw making a left turn while running away and not, in fact, running in a straight line.

Necronomicon II

I always noticed that they turned left and was baffled by all the reactions online.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 31, 2016, 05:16:36 PM
The Covenant crew might be under the impression that "paradise" is just a secret terraformed planet (created by humans) and that the "strange signal" comes from an old Weyland research station that is in trouble.
From above they examine and find breathable air, lots of absolutely earth-like forests.... the buildings they see might be confused with human settlements, etc..
In short, they have no idea about "Engineers", their Paradise or the Prometheus expedition..
So they just land, assume that everything is fine with the local earth-like fauna/flora and immediately try to find the signal's source.
"maybe it's just a busted communications tower" and they think they can help.

I think that's the easiest way to explain away the lack of special hazard suits.

Which makes them look even more stupid because they didn't bother to confirm and verify before putting all their lives at risk (plus those back at base, who they'd be in danger of infecting - and who shouldn't even let them back on board, if following basic scientific protocol).

All of this is pretty bizarre when you remember how Ripley, 'Alien', addressed this precise issue as only causing problems if people didn't follow the kind of training even space-going tug jockeys are getting. :)

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 01, 2017, 10:00:59 PM
Regarding taking helmets off in Prometheus.

[as they reach an area of the structure that has water streaming down and the sun shining through the open ceiling]
Charlie Holloway: Look at this!
Elizabeth Shaw: Oh, Charlie!
Ford: Jesus! Sun light's heating the water. Check out the humidity.
Charlie Holloway: Yeah, look at the CO2 levels. Outside it's completely toxic and in...in here, there's nothing. It's breathable.
[as Holloway prepares to take off his helmet]
Elizabeth Shaw: What are you doing? Charlie, don't be an idiot!
Charlie Holloway: Hey, don't be a skeptic. Right? There's something generating an atmosphere. David?
David: Dr. Holloway is correct.
Ford: Cleaner than earth, actually.
Charlie Holloway: They were terraforming here!
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't do...
Charlie Holloway: Look, Eli...
Elizabeth Shaw: Please, don't!
Charlie Holloway: Eli, I'm not wearing this thing anymore! Wish me luck, babe.
[he takes off his helmet, takes a large breath of the air and laughs]
Elizabeth Shaw: You crazy bastard!

Again, that's just referring to chemical composition, not what might be living down there. It also meant they weren't even thinking of their own bacteria/etcetera contaminating their surroundings. Holloway was bad enough, but then they all go and do it - including Shaw, who was the one character pointing out it was against basic scientific (and archeological) protocols.

Real scientists had a lot of problems with how badly that film misrepresented their fields. Some of their criticism is heard here (along with constructive suggestion for how the various inaccuracies could have simply been fixed)

Quote from: anduu on Jan 02, 2017, 11:19:02 PM
Exactly...What kind of movie would it be if we had to watch them shamble around in hazmat suits for 90% of the movie...

Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief.

The Nostromo crew did it - as did the Prometheus crew, for a while. If anything, I'd argue it made those scenes a little more tense, not less.

Besides, they'd have clear visors, just like in 'Prometheus'. It's not like the audience would find it mysterious to identify which actor is speaking.

Ingwar

@Xenomorphine

Scientists can easily destroy any Sci-Fi movie.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2017, 08:50:11 AM
They had quarantine and decontamination in Prometheus.

I didn't say they didn't. I'm saying Alien made use of it in an effective way. In Prometheus it's like "you shouldn't do that." "Oh well! WOOOOO!!!"

Scorpio

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 03, 2017, 09:29:34 PM
@Xenomorphine

That's because it's science fiction.  Almost fantasy.  We don't have the technology to go to other planets yet, plus lots of other things, hence speculative, future mythology.  Asking for realism is a bit of a tall order.  Even 2001:  A Space Odyssey is not that realistic.

Xenorgue

Xenorgue

LoL! This video is really stupid. Prometheus is an SF film, not a scientific documentary or a molecular biology course.

Yes the microbiological aspect is completely evaded as in 100% of SF films or air is breathable.

ALL SF films can be scientifically criticizing. Avatar, Terminator, Star Wars, Star Trek even Interstellar. Oddly nobody is shocked when guys easy comes into a black hole, or the guy move the books in a parallel world. It's amazingly scientific.
And then let's talk about avatar. It is not normal that the Na'Vi have strangely like us 2 arms, 2 legs, articulated fingersa head with 2 eyes, ears, nose, hair, skeleton ... Strange that the evolution is radically identical to ours.

It is true that Prometheus has some lack of writing, notably in Shaw's arguments to justify the mission.

It would have been so much easier for the scenario that Shaw found on earth monolithic engineers indicating the position of LV 423 via a hologram rather than cave paintings. The viewer would have more easily accepted and asked less questions.

For me Prometheus remains a very good film that leaves little clue behind him regarding the origin of xenormorph and that is what is essential.

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

That was exhaustive, if not exhausting;  ;D Good job. I've seen the Apocalypse Destroying Angels book. It actually captures some sense of the original Giger artwork and retains the Lovecraftian aspect of the Alien and Space Jockey. In a lot of ways, all that would have been fine as basis for a movie. Instead, we have Prometheus and Covenant. I'm not happy that David is any way connected to making the Alien. Evidence indicates he will be. Even if he's using Engineer tech to do it, I don't like it. I like the idea that the derelict is ancient, and the creatures are from some far-flung corner of the universe. But we get what we get. The trouble is, Covenant does not have to be good to spawn more movies. It has to make a big pile of money. If it does that, more will films will be made. If it is visually stimulating and well-marketed, it can be very average and still make money.

SM

Best remove that link.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 04, 2017, 02:37:55 AM
That was exhaustive, if not exhausting;  ;D Good job. I've seen the Apocalypse Destroying Angels book. It actually captures some sense of the original Giger artwork and retains the Lovecraftian aspect of the Alien and Space Jockey. In a lot of ways, all that would have been fine as basis for a movie.

I plan on doing a podcast covering that series at some point (and talking about the similarities to Prometheus). Destroying Angels is the main reason I even got into the Expanded Universe and a series I love very much.

SM

It's probably no accident it was called Apocalypse, what with it being a take on Heart of Darkness.

Corporal Hicks

I've seen the film but I never got around to reading the book, despite buying it. It's in that ever growing pile of books to read.

Ingwar

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 04, 2017, 01:00:36 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 03, 2017, 09:29:34 PM
@Xenomorphine

That's because it's science fiction.  Almost fantasy.  We don't have the technology to go to other planets yet, plus lots of other things, hence speculative, future mythology.  Asking for realism is a bit of a tall order.  Even 2001:  A Space Odyssey is not that realistic.

I totally agree. I wrote that sentence (Scientists can easily destroy any Sci-Fi movie) regarding to what Xenomorphine had written about Prometheus crew taking their helmets off. Some Sci-Fi movies contain more science than fiction where some are almost utter fiction. Not without a reason Star Wars is called space opera or fairy tale in space (it's marriage between Sci-Fi and fantasy when you think about it).

XenoHunter99

XenoHunter99

Quote from: SM on Jan 04, 2017, 09:06:00 AM
It's probably no accident it was called Apocalypse, what with it being a take on Heart of Darkness.
Now that you mention Heart of Darkness, I see the parallels. I've read the story and seen Apocalypse Now more than once. It's all the more appropriate when you factor in the hints of Conrad in Alien.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 04, 2017, 08:51:31 AM
I plan on doing a podcast covering that series at some point (and talking about the similarities to Prometheus). Destroying Angels is the main reason I even got into the Expanded Universe and a series I love very much.
I'll look forward to that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed