Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 30, 2016, 08:03:03 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Teaser Trailer - AvPGalaxy Podcast #44 (Read 27,429 times)

Jeri

First time listening to the podcast; interesting stuff...

Ingwar

@RidgeTop

1. Every epic Sci-Fi movie (Star Trek, Star Wars, Terminator, Alien series and so on) contain scientific inaccuracies. Even the recent ones like Gravity, Interstellar and The Martian are flawed on that field. Am I bothered? Not at all. You cannot take Sci-Fi movies too seriously because you wouldn't enjoy them at all.

2. Charlie Holloway doesn't take his helmet off on LV-223 surface. If he did that he would have been dead, like Ford says during the landing: Only if you're breathing through an exhaust pipe. CO2 is over 3 percent. Two minutes without a suit, you're dead. He does take his helmet off being inside Engineer pyramid knowing that the air (result of terraforming) is cleaner than Earth's one. It's a minor scene in the movie. Its explanation is sufficient enough. Besides, sometimes you have to sacrifice scientific accuracy and rational characters behaviour for a sake of the story itself. Deal with it. Charlie takes his helmet off? Not a big deal. Main protagonist in Interstellar enters the black hole and ... survives. Try to beat that :).

anduu

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 02, 2017, 10:40:24 PM
@RidgeTop

1. Every epic Sci-Fi movie (Star Trek, Star Wars, Terminator, Alien series and so on) contain scientific inaccuracies. Even the recent ones like Gravity, Interstellar and The Martian are flawed on that field. Am I bothered? Not at all. You cannot take Sci-Fi movies too seriously because you wouldn't enjoy them at all.

2. Charlie Holloway doesn't take his helmet off on LV-223 surface. If he did that he would have been dead, like Ford says during the landing: Only if you're breathing through an exhaust pipe. CO2 is over 3 percent. Two minutes without a suit, you're dead. He does take his helmet off being inside Engineer pyramid knowing that the air (result of terraforming) is cleaner than Earth's one. It's a minor scene in the movie. Its explanation is sufficient enough. Besides, sometimes you have to sacrifice scientific accuracy and rational characters behaviour for a sake of the story itself. Deal with it. Charlie takes his helmet off? Not a big deal. Main protagonist in Interstellar enters the black hole and ... survives. Try to beat that :).

Exactly...What kind of movie would it be if we had to watch them shamble around in hazmat suits for 90% of the movie...

Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief.

skhellter

Quote from: anduu on Jan 02, 2017, 11:19:02 PM
Exactly...What kind of movie would it be if we had to watch them shamble around in hazmat suits for 90% of the movie...

Good like 2001?

SM

90% like 2001?

Scorpio

Some people ignore the fiction part in science fiction.

anduu

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2017, 11:43:40 PM
90% like 2001?
Well if you want to go there...

I just quickly skimmed through 2001...they spend maybe 20% of the film in full suits so there is that...

SM

Sounds more accurate.

BeamChan

Love the podcast, really gets me through the night shift. Pleased to hear my concerns of David creating the Alien being voiced in this podcast. But I get the feeling this will probably be the outcome of Covenant. A few people might ask why? Why would David create a creature that could wipe out human life? To which I say,
"Doesn't every child want their parents dead?"

Godzillakuj94

Before I give it a listen, how spoilery is it?

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Godzillakuj94 on Jan 03, 2017, 06:14:29 AM
Before I give it a listen, how spoilery is it?

Somewhat. The majority of the podcast is us speculating, but we do talk about some potentially spoiler-ish rumors.

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 02, 2017, 10:40:24 PM
@RidgeTop

Logical fallacies and difficult to buy scenarios should not always be forgiven simply because a movie is a movie. This highly depends on the franchise or series, as Star Wars is equal part fantasy as it is Science Fiction. Alien has always been depicted as very hard sci-fi, so the standard for suspension of disbelief is higher. This is evident in the very first film when Ripley refuses to let the captain of the ship aboard in accordance with quarantine procedure. She's essentially a space trucker, and even she is highly concerned about infection due to protocol. The scientists in Prometheus couldn't care less it would seem, as is evidenced by far more than just the helmet-removal scene.

It's fine if Prometheus was plausible enough in all its scenarios for you, but that's like, your opinion, man. How the scientists acted was a common point of criticism among critics and audiences, however, and I'd simply like the filmmakers to learn from what I considered the missteps of Prometheus. I don't hate the film, and as I noted in the podcast it's actually grown on me over time, but I'm certainly not the only one who sees its many flaws.

OpenMaw

Yeah, it's a bullshit argument to say "It's Science Fiction, people can act like idiots for no reason."

What's more interesting, people acting like idiots and bad things happening to them... Or people being smart, and bad things still happen?

Alien at least used the idea of quarantine and isolation as a source of drama between characters, and it didn't leave Dallas looking completely stupid for it either.

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 03, 2017, 12:14:43 AM
Some people ignore the fiction part in science fiction.

I would argue that most people seem to ignore the science part in science fiction.

juxtapose

well Vickers fried holloway because she was scared he might infect the crew. . .ok he also asked her to do it. .she probably would have toasted him anyway. . So at least she had more intelligence than the majority of the crew and ripley might have acted in a similar fashion in that same scenario. . Seeing as she also did'nt want a infected crew member onboard. .

SM

QuoteAlien at least used the idea of quarantine and isolation as a source of drama between characters, and it didn't leave Dallas looking completely stupid for it either.

They had quarantine and decontamination in Prometheus.

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .and just to add what i said about vickers earlier. .it was a good decition on her part to fry holloway. .perhaps not so clever of her to run in a straight line most would argue. .but personally if i was in her shoes i think i would do the same. .their huge chunks of burning shit falling left, right and center, plus the ship can't roll on forever. .it has to lose momentum. .if she did not stumble and fall she might have survived, it came to a standstill shortly after crushing her. .if shaw knew what her fate in covenant was gonna be she probably would not have even bothered running. . Asuming she does die in covenant ofcause. .

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed