Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 08, 2018, 06:36:34 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant: One Year Later - AvP Galaxy Podcast #68 (Read 17,579 times)

Corporal Hicks

Here’s something to help get you through your Monday! We have just uploaded the 68th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! Our latest episode sees regular hosts Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop and Xenomorphine reconvene to discuss how we feel about Alien: Covenant after a year to learn about the film, re-watch it and re-consider it.

We talk about how what we’ve learnt about Alien: Covenant since the film’s release, we briefly discuss the prequel novel, if our opinions on the film have changed and if we’d still want to see Sir Ridley Scott with his hands on the reins of the franchise.

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunesPodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher and now YouTube!

Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

426Buddy

Yay! :laugh:

Will listen now :)

Jones The Cat

Great podcast!
I still have to read the prequel novel. I totally lost interest after I found out its not about David and Shaw...    ???
By the way, I think there are a lot of fans out there who want to see the painting of giger come to life in form of an engineer home planet. I dont think money is the reason. I really dont know why they're not doing it... It would be fantastatic!  :)

TERMINATOR-SSD

Scott needs to STAY AWAY....Crapynant is just terrible and has ruined the franchise for me, I saw the film on the first day. I came out of the cinema in rage and utter disappointment along with my other friends. The Alien being a tacked on horror gimmick but all the stupid things that happen in the film was shocking. Everything wrong with... and Honest trailers put it down perfectly on why its terrible. Damn movie, damn Scott... -_-

If they make more Alien films it needs to stay away from Scotts odd prequels. Hell Alien Isolation was just perfect. They can expand on that. May be Amanda Ripley is still alive or she didn't die the way Burke said in Aliens, a cover up etc.

Foxnet need to hire Rebellion to make another AvP game to continue after the 2010 game. And another dev needs to make an open world / planets Predator game

also, love the podcast guys :-)

Evanus

The Old One

The Old One

The one thing Isolation did wrong was to include Amanda Ripley, Alien needs to move away from that family- not towards. Leave them alone.

The universe is vast, there's plenty other opportunities for stories all their own.

acrediblesource

Unfortunately the right idea to cash in was to keep going with the Ripley family. Anything new would have opened up a can of empty unless they tied it to the films. One thing they did wrong was tie it to the Alien family (ie, the life cycle and all it's members). What keeps this franchise going is mythology and unanswered questions. The problem is IF they don't use the myth HR Giger brought us, we will find ourselves empty yet again. At least Prometheus managed to tie HR GIger work (if only a mural or two). Otherwise would have been something like Covenant.

OpenMaw

I'd say "aside of the Juggernaut" because everything else in that movie lacks Giger's touch. The murals are vague and incoherent in the background.

Isolation would have been just as good if Amanda Ripley were somebody else. Change a few of the details, and poof. Works just fine.

The Old One

The Old One

That's ultimately due to the fact that Amanda Ripley has no personality, she's essentially a shell for the player and the players' nostalgic reaction to hearing a message left specifically for them is intended to be the same as Amandas' reaction.

That's why, as coincidental as the whole scenario is- that's why it works.

I see the whole thing as a spiritual closure to the Ripley story, more genuine to the tone of the first three than Resurrection.

It's also left the Torrens floating through space that could end up anywhere for a good writer to exploit.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jul 08, 2018, 10:43:06 PMWhat keeps this franchise going is mythology and unanswered questions. The problem is IF they don't use the myth HR Giger brought us, we will find ourselves empty yet again. At least Prometheus managed to tie HR GIger work (if only a mural or two). Otherwise would have been something like Covenant.

Covenant didn't provide any mythology and unanswered questions?
The ship, eggs and the xeno in Covenant were no tie in to Giger's work?

MU-TH-UR 6000

Isolation has a pretty subpar story and writing. I would never want a movie based on it, it's essentially the first movie but slightly bigger.

It has, however, some really really good world-building with the Sevastopol's downfall and how people reacted to it. That really felt like something out of the Alien universe. The desperation of becoming jobless and hopeless on the far reaches of space affected me way more than the main storyline, through some very simple audio logs and emails. The whole litigation between Seegson and its employees was great and how Weyland-Yutani stepped in to buy the entire station, giving some momentary hope, only to be taken away by the Alien "invasion" was fantastic.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: MU-TH-UR 6000 on Jul 09, 2018, 10:31:44 AM
Isolation has a pretty subpar story and writing. I would never want a movie based on it, it's essentially the first movie but slightly bigger.

It has, however, some really really good world-building with the Sevastopol's downfall and how people reacted to it. That really felt like something out of the Alien universe. The desperation of becoming jobless and hopeless on the far reaches of space affected me way more than the main storyline, through some very simple audio logs and emails. The whole litigation between Seegson and its employees was great and how Weyland-Yutani stepped in to buy the entire station, giving some momentary hope, only to be taken away by the Alien "invasion" was fantastic.

This.

I really do want a film though to find a crashed Torrens at some point.

The Cruentus

I agree that the trailers didn't help the movie, especially how they spoiled a lot of stuff including who dies and how.

TC

Quote from: MU-TH-UR 6000 on Jul 09, 2018, 10:31:44 AM

Yes. It would need alot of work to turn it into amovie.

But I think the writers need a bit of defending because I feel like they were hamstrung by technical limitations. For e.g. there are so few times when you really get to interact with NPCs, as though the tech. director didn't feel like the user's CPU could handle many AI people at once. Maybe the xeno AI was just a huge CPU cycle hog.

Quote from: MU-TH-UR 6000 on Jul 09, 2018, 10:31:44 AMIt has, however, some really really good world-building with the Sevastopol's downfall and how people reacted to it. That really felt like something out of the Alien universe. The desperation of becoming jobless and hopeless on the far reaches of space affected me way more than the main storyline, through some very simple audio logs and emails. The whole litigation between Seegson and its employees was great and how Weyland-Yutani stepped in to buy the entire station, giving some momentary hope, only to be taken away by the Alien "invasion" was fantastic.

It was well thought through, but all told via "log entries." If you compare it to film, this is a very curious kind of scriptwriting; it's all setting, with no real ability to build character or plot. (Characterisation is all hearsay, and you have to reconstruct the plot from what you read, more like prose fiction than the realtime drama a play or film gives you). I think I learned a bit about game writing from this.

But an enjoyable game. And thats what really counts.

TC

AVP-CAPCOM

One of those rare occurences where I can say- yep I CAN believe its been a (busy) year.

I re-watched Covenant on download a few months back (after a June 2017 Cinema ticket) and my positive opinion is unchanged. Still a 4/5 movie and third only to ALIEN 5/5 and ALIENS 5/5.

I also had a suggested YouTube video of an "against the grain" movie reviewer who also liked the film. I agree Covenant greatest strength is David as the central character and his story arc from servant to God with a multitude of subliminal imagery, sound and symbolism.

Yes Covenant is misanthropic and anti-humanist, nihilistic. But that is/was the whole point of the ALIEN series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed