THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018)

Started by Tetsujin, Aug 23, 2018, 05:22:16 PM

Author
THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018) (Read 25,207 times)

Xerxész

Quote from: The Shuriken on Aug 31, 2018, 10:23:52 PM
I mean, now that "the hunt has evolved" is every future film (if we even get more) going to feature these new Upgrades? Are we never going back?

There will be a director in the future who will say: "let's get back to original, just let the Predator be what it used to be once."

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: huntin8-t0n on Aug 31, 2018, 10:08:42 PM
Quote from: Nathsp on Aug 31, 2018, 08:39:13 AM
Yes I was refering to the whole idea of it, not the inteligence of the character.
About the joker, its a comic, and the better aproach would be that now the joker become a giant mutated monster with joker dogs that also use make up...
The predator from stan windston was perfect, the tribal aspect, the weapons, all of it make it unique, shane black removed all of this and transform it into another big cgi monster, the idea while can be great to see sounds lazy, its the same as any other modern movie, megalodon whoaaa a bigger shark...
About the aliens, cameron remove the individual inteligence of it, but gave them something more powerfull, a society, a collective inteligence, a realistic and more efficient lifecycle.
And dont get me wrong, i really hope the best from the movie, its just that the idea of the upgrade is to stupid, lazy and unnecesary, a smaller guy that hits hard is cooler than a big guy doing the same
Yea, I see the point about being a lazy idea.

The thing is he suggested only lazy ideas too, no offense, ones that children could come up with, nothing better than what this movie seem to offer.

The Old One

The Old One

I take it, that's a no then.

Nathsp

Im sure a movie with a pred as a protagonist, not a hero, but as a main character is more interesting than a gian cgi mutated monster with dogs that has dreads...
You dont oftten to see a movie with a villain as protagonist, and has background to explore the pred society and rutials, but meh, lets enjoy the explosions and q big monster

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 01, 2018, 04:06:35 AM
Anybody got any bright ideas for the future of "Predator" as a franchise that isn't leeching off Alien?

Can't say I do. I just hope they clamp a lid on this thing before it gets any bigger. Before giant predators are running everywhere and everybody knows about them. Before we have the predator military vs the human military. Before this turns into Lord of the Rings or Jurassic World. I hope classic predators are once again elevated to a respectable level of fear, and the creature is returned to the shadows and the jungle.

The last thing I want to see, is the predator franchise as a whole, turned into avp. And I'm honestly concerned Shane would be the one to take it there. I hope this movie does good, but not enough to warrant a sequel. Let it hibernate again for awhile and have Shane walk away. Lest we suffer the Ridley effect and begin Shane Black's predquels.

Nathsp

Next movie will be a predator hybrid tall as a building fighting with godzilla and people will say its amazing idea...
How i wish they put out a movie like modern mad max, new but not shitty new.

Huggs

This is all too ironically similar to the Indominous Rex concept.

I feel like saying "They're predators, wow enough."

yautjapet

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 01, 2018, 10:13:15 PM

That's how I feel about it. They're already imposing and interesting enough. I think it was Shane who said we can't just do a rehash of the original movie because what made it tense and frightening won't necessarily work again, since we as audiences know the predator now, and I agree... but they can't think of anything to keep a ruthless, brutal, cunning, mysterious alien hunter scary without doing a "bigger and better" hybrid thing...?

PredBabe

PredBabe

What's done is done with this movie and I think the saving grace is the design choice they went with for the Upgrade. It's not out of the realm of possibility for them to get as large as Upgrade. Any bigger though and we will be treading in some awful storytelling and design territory. A few shots do look a little too CGI (like when he's roaring) but, as a whole, it seems  acceptable for the species mythos.

I also hope this movie is a complete success but I'm ok with the series going into hibernation for a bit before another sequel emerges. Personally, I like that each sequel, so far, has been more standalone rather than direct sequels. Little call backs to previous films is ok but I don't care to see an all out Independence Day-Predator series unfold after this one. 

Of course any Predator movie should revolve around the hunt but I think a big thing that helps keep these types of stories fresh is the different settings. It would be cool to see a Predator movie set in the old west (or another time period), but I get how that is something big studios are not looking to put money towards. I think the upgrade/bad blood concept is a fresh and viable route to take sequel films however. Perhaps take a story back on another hunting planet or, dare I say, their home world. Execution is everything but it's easy to see how that could completely ruin the image of the creature and the series for good too.

Heres hoping the video game industry puts out a new Predator game or two that is willing to unveil the species in certain ways that probably wouldn't work in movie format. Frankly, I'd rather see a detailed Predator games than unoriginal sequels pushed out by a film studio.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: yautjapet on Sep 01, 2018, 10:25:58 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Sep 01, 2018, 10:13:15 PM

That's how I feel about it. They're already imposing and interesting enough. I think it was Shane who said we can't just do a rehash of the original movie because what made it tense and frightening won't necessarily work again, since we as audiences know the predator now, and I agree... but they can't think of anything to keep a ruthless, brutal, cunning, mysterious alien hunter scary without doing a "bigger and better" hybrid thing...?

Ala Jurassic World or not, they are just expanding the bestiary (for better or worse) just like the Alien franchise...

huntin8-t0n

I like predators as they were in the first two movies. I really hope key elements about them won't change, and this movie will not be going in the direction of turning the creature any its mythos to be just another evil sci-fi villain.

If the canges feel right, respect the predecessor and make room for thoughts to come, it's good. I hope the whole upgrade concept will do that.

On the other hand, and for me this is really sad, I think introducing something like the Upgrade was inevitable. Not because the creature alone wouldn't stand its ground, but because there were so many f*ck ups about the franchise since P1, they are desperately trying to find something to lure the audience in. That's just sad.

The Shuriken

Quote from: Xerxész on Sep 01, 2018, 05:45:19 AM
Quote from: The Shuriken on Aug 31, 2018, 10:23:52 PM
I mean, now that "the hunt has evolved" is every future film (if we even get more) going to feature these new Upgrades? Are we never going back?

There will be a director in the future who will say: "let's get back to original, just let the Predator be what it used to be once."

I was hoping that would have been Shane Black. :laugh:

Danversity

They already made it clear several times that Upgrade is ONE guy who was especially made for this. The franchise won't become a 10-foot tall Predator party, especially after the Upgrade fails in his mission in this one. Just like Aliens didn't shove the Alien Queen in every movie after she appeared. They're gonna do something else, and whatever it is we're just gonna have to wait and see.

Huggs

Quote from: Danversity on Sep 02, 2018, 08:14:51 PM
They already made it clear several times that Upgrade is ONE guy who was especially made for this. The franchise won't become a 10-foot tall Predator party, especially after the Upgrade fails in his mission in this one. Just like Aliens didn't shove the Alien Queen in every movie after she appeared. They're gonna do something else, and whatever it is we're just gonna have to wait and see.

I don't think it's a matter of 10' creatures forever. But in the last movie we had the beserkers, now we have the upgrade. That's two movies in a row where the classic predator has been outmatched by larger/stronger hybrids. There's only so many times this can be done before people start wondering, "are the classic predators just the Kevin Hart's of their species?".

I'm all for seeing new and awesome things, but the bigger and badder the new predators get, the less ferocious the originals become.

Nathsp

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2018, 08:20:22 PM
Quote from: Danversity on Sep 02, 2018, 08:14:51 PM

I don't think it's a matter of 10' creatures forever. But in the last movie we had the beserkers, now we have the upgrade. That's two movies in a row where the classic predator has been outmatched by larger/stronger hybrids. There's only so many times this can be done before people start wondering, "are the classic predators just the Kevin Hart's of their species?".

I'm all for seeing new and awesome things, but the bigger and badder the new predators get, the less ferocious the originals become.
100 % agree, look jurassic world, now a hybrid of a hybrid, and you just think how ended like this, how a magic dinosaur franchice ended in a movie about a hybrid monster killing people in a mansion...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed