Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Started by Chris!(($$))!, Mar 04, 2015, 02:36:00 AM

Retcon, Reboot, Sequel: Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Yes.
39 (50%)
No.
32 (41%)
Cameo/Supporting Characters at the most.
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author
Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP? (Read 12,159 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Mar 04, 2015, 10:37:55 AMno egg, no facehugger. We can postulate, we can assume, we can do what we like. But there was no egg on the Sulaco - we didn't see it happen, therefore it didn't happen

This is equally floored logic. We never saw Dallas and Lambert somehow carry Kane back to the Nostromo in those bulky, utterly restrictive suits. We never saw the Aliens take over Hadley's Hope, yet there they are when the Marines arrive.

Frankly I find it equally silly that just one Alien can lead to the entire destruction of a colony so quickly that apparently no one had time to send out any kind of distress call before they all got taken. Yet Aliens expects us to believe that's what happens.

Alien³

I voted yes because I agree...

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 04, 2015, 08:45:10 AM
They should let them RIP. I think returning Ripley and Hicks is sort of misguided. They keep wanting to bring those characters back because of the fondness people have for Aliens and the great movie it was; people want to relive that. They should be instead trying to move on and make a good movie on its own merits. I believe a new movie with new characters can be done provided it has attention to detail and passion put into it.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 04, 2015, 10:43:31 AM
Frankly I find it equally silly that just one Alien can lead to the entire destruction of a colony so quickly that apparently no one had time to send out any kind of distress call before they all got taken. Yet Aliens expects us to believe that's what happens.

There was clearly upper management with a relatively lazy attitude. Imagine the Nostromo crew on a much wider scale with the addition of red tape. The creatures could have multiplied before they even realised they weren't dealing with something the size of a snake.

And we have no idea what trashed their communications ability. Could have been anything; the first chestburster chewing its way through lots of cables in the wall, included. Could also have been something which happened wherever the creatures were hiding out at the time (successive maintenance crews being sent down, inadvertently providing new impregnation victims). Could also have been only a few people living in the colony who knew how to fix it, who were among the first to be abducted.

Adam802

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2015, 03:06:04 AM
Quote from: Adam802 on Mar 04, 2015, 02:58:54 AM

Except the 2nd half of the series wrote itself into a corner and hurt the franchise.  Thats why a retcon/alt timeline is necessary.

Its not necessary at all.  Some people just cant move on from Aliens is all.  I would much rather have the franchise follow Ripley 8 then retread old ground with Ripley & Hick's taking on Weyland-Yutani again. Retconning is what will hurt the franchise. Its a cheap and lazy way to tell a story.

And i'd MUCH rather retread old ground than take place after Resurrection.  However, like ive said I dont think this movie will "retread old ground" just bc it takes place after ALIENS.  Its just using ALIENS as a jumping off point like A3 did.  It can go a COMPLETELY different direction than ALIENS (and A3). 

Russ

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 04, 2015, 01:00:25 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 04, 2015, 10:43:31 AM

There was clearly upper management with a relatively lazy attitude. Imagine the Nostromo crew on a much wider scale with the addition of red tape. The creatures could have multiplied before they even realised they weren't dealing with something the size of a snake.

And we have no idea what trashed their communications ability. Could have been anything; the first chestburster chewing its way through lots of cables in the wall, included. Could also have been something which happened wherever the creatures were hiding out at the time (successive maintenance crews being sent down, inadvertently providing new impregnation victims). Could also have been only a few people living in the colony who knew how to fix it, who were among the first to be abducted.

Don't they say at some point in the film "Could have been a downed transmitter" when that question comes up? I must rewatch Aliens WITHOUT the commentary.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Russ on Mar 04, 2015, 01:04:31 PM
Don't they say at some point in the film "Could have been a downed transmitter" when that question comes up? I must rewatch Aliens WITHOUT the commentary.

Actually, yes, that's a good point. The dialogue clearly makes it sound like that sort of thing happens frequently. In light of that, it's very plausible that colonies (at least, those of Hadley's Hope scale) don't have the hardware/skilled technicians to correct FTL-capable communications. Either that or the technology is generally prone to malfunction.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Mar 04, 2015, 01:04:31 PMDon't they say at some point in the film "Could have been a downed transmitter" when that question comes up? I must rewatch Aliens WITHOUT the commentary.

Burke's just throwing ideas out at the point to ocnvince Ripley to go.

In any case, the problem clearly wasn't a downed transmitter. The problem was everyone was dead.

Jarac

Yes, they should. I'm very excited about this movie, and bringing back Ripley and Hicks and potentially side-stepping the last two films is a dream come true. However, I've also long been an advocate of letting them go. One of the granchise's greatest weaknesses was it's inability to let Ripley go. I liked a lot of the old comics because they involved new stories, new people without connection to Ripley. I disagree heavily with those who say "the franchise can't survive without Ripley', because that mindset is what gave us Resurrection and weakened the franchise.

I believe Ripley, Hicks and Newt deserve closure, but after that, they need to retire and let new stories emerge within this vast universe. The franchise can survive and thrive without them.

Vermillion

Thrive without them??  Lol

That is why they are brining them BACK!

Jarac

Jarac

Quote from: Vermillion on Mar 04, 2015, 03:42:43 PM
Thrive without them??  Lol

That is why they are brining them BACK!

A:R is loathed by many fans even with Ripley in it. Just because they are bringing Ripley and Hicks back doesn't mean that the franchise can't survive without them. It's to bring closure that many Alien fans feel A3 and A:R did not do well (A3 had a pretty good end for Ripley, but then A:R nullified that).

Make a good script, with good actors and a good story and people will come. Having Ripley brings some familiarity, but she's not absolutely necessary to have to continue on successfully.

Son Of Kane

No it didn't nullify that because Ripley 8 isn't even Ripley.

Xenorgue

" Ripley and Hicks got married and had many children "
No thank you! The saga Alien it is not that. Alien does not amount to Ripley. Why do not to enrich more the universe by developing new unpublished characters. To continue more with Ripley would damage the franchise. Due to seeing Ripley surviving, she gives itself an image of great heroin. With Ripley the alien does not frighten any more because we know that she is going to make a success.
I do not want that Alien 5 is one to copy to stick of Alien and Aliens 2. I like this saga because 4 movies are different and personalized.

I adore alien 3 and Alien the resurrection! Reboot these 2 movies would be a big lack of respect for the fans.

Jarac

Quote from: bworko on Mar 04, 2015, 05:23:05 PM
I adore alien 3 and Alien the resurrection! Reboot these 2 movies would be a big lack of respect for the fans.

For a lot of people A3 (to a lesser extent) and Resurrection showed lack of respect to the franchise. I think a majority wouldn't mind them getting retconned, but the best solution is to follow an alternate timeline story.

All I know is that I have yet to actually meet someone who thought Resurrection was good for the franchise. With A3, you at least have a good division.

Xenorgue

It is funny. In France Alien resurrection is mainly respected.

I am satisfied not to be everybody.

I find that the movie Alien 3 has much more common point with Alien 1 than that of Cameron. The alien is alone and seems invincible, cruel and bestial.

I go can be to shock sensitive hearts but to choose, Alien the resurrection is much darker and more unhealthy than Alien 2. I prefer it.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Jarac on Mar 04, 2015, 03:52:08 PM
Make a good script, with good actors and a good story and prople will come. Having Ripley brings some familiarity, but she's not absolutely necessary to have to continue on successfully.

100% agreed. The series could have, and should have, shed any need for Ripley after Alien 3.

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 04, 2015, 04:50:01 PM
No it didn't nullify that because Ripley 8 isn't even Ripley.

Yeah. I guess that really does narrow down why i've never liked A:R. Aside of the goofiness and stupidity that is. She's just not the Ripley character they're trying to tell us she is. She's a different person.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed