Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Started by Chris!(($$))!, Mar 04, 2015, 02:36:00 AM

Retcon, Reboot, Sequel: Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP?

Yes.
39 (50%)
No.
32 (41%)
Cameo/Supporting Characters at the most.
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author
Let's be honest. Retcon, Reboot or Not. Should they let Ripley, Hicks & Co. RIP? (Read 12,164 times)

Chris!(($$))!

Personally... I think I'd rather them just let the characters RIP BUT if I had to settle I certainly wouldn't want 60 year old Hicks and Ripley being the main characters.

Adam802

I think most people (both on these forums and fans worldwide) want a new film set after ALIENS with Ripley and Hicks.  So much potential to revive the franchise.

marrerom

I voted yes because it seems that the only way to bring back those characters would be to retcon half the series, which is a terrible idea. Either have Alien 5 fit into established canon or dont bother.

RakaiThwei

Personally... I think Ripley and Hicks' story is done. Let sleeping dogs lie.

But if this is going to be an alternate timeline, and hopefully not a retcon which will write Alien 3 and Resurrection as dreams, then they can do whatever they hell they want.

Adam802

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2015, 02:56:04 AM
I voted yes because it seems that the only way to bring back those characters would be to retcon half the series, which is a terrible idea. Either have Alien 5 fit into established canon or dont bother.

Except the 2nd half of the series wrote itself into a corner and hurt the franchise.  Thats why a retcon/alt timeline is necessary.

marrerom

Quote from: Adam802 on Mar 04, 2015, 02:58:54 AM

Except the 2nd half of the series wrote itself into a corner and hurt the franchise.  Thats why a retcon/alt timeline is necessary.

Its not necessary at all.  Some people just cant move on from Aliens is all.  I would much rather have the franchise follow Ripley 8 then retread old ground with Ripley & Hick's taking on Weyland-Yutani again. Retconning is what will hurt the franchise. Its a cheap and lazy way to tell a story.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2015, 03:06:04 AM
Retconning is what will hurt the franchise. Its a cheap and lazy way to tell a story.

Which is why I am hoping that this will be an alternate timeline.

Retconning would require a write-in/write-out.

marrerom

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 04, 2015, 03:14:03 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2015, 03:06:04 AM
Retconning is what will hurt the franchise. Its a cheap and lazy way to tell a story.

Which is why I am hoping that this will be an alternate timeline.

Retconning would require a write-in/write-out.

An alternate timeline is also cheap and lazy.  Its done for the same exact reasons a retcon is and it further muddles things by adding weird fantastical elements to what should be a series that's grounded in gritty realism.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Seriously, I'm hearing don't retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection, don't render them dreams, amnesia, false memories. Then I'm hearing retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection, go the route of dreams, amnesia, false memories..

You can't reconcile one and the other (Alien 3 and Alienkamp) without further muddling things.. What is it you want?

marrerom

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 04, 2015, 03:23:31 AM
[Sighs] ....What do you people want?

Seriously, I'm hearing don't retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection, don't render them dreams, amnesia, false memories. Then I'm hearing retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection, go the route of dreams, amnesia, false memories..

You can't reconcile one and the other without further muddling things.. What is it you want?

I cant speak for others but all I want is Alien 5 to take place after Alien 4.  No alternate timelines, no multiple dimensions, no retcon.

I also liked Aliens but I'm not in favor of butchering continuity so that I can have Aliens 2

RakaiThwei

Quote from: marrerom on Mar 04, 2015, 03:28:01 AM
I cant speak for others but all I want is Alien 5 to take place after Alien 4.  No alternate timelines, no multiple dimensions, no retcon.

And that is fine to want that, I wanted that too at some point but it doesn't look like we're going to get that based on Blomkamp's words. You could argue conjecture and all of that, which is fine and dandy but all signs point to the possibility that it's not going that particular route. Now, I'm willing to be proven wrong but something tells me we're not gonna get that.

UHF

For me, it's all about reason.  I don't have much of an issue with Alien 3 or Resurrection, which is why I'd like them to remain canon.   Even though I enjoy the first two films a lot, there is still no reason to remove, retcon or cheapen the existence of the last 2 films.  I can understand that people are/were upset with the unceremonious deaths of the survivors from Aliens, but I really don't have a problem with that (Ripley's misfortune is that she is a lone survivor that lives when everything else dies).

Would have it been interesting to revisit an Aliens sequel? Sure, if it had been done over 20 years ago.  However we can't go back now and pick back up when we left the Sulaco.  For me it just doesn't make sense to go back now

Xenomrph

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Mar 04, 2015, 02:36:00 AM
Personally... I think I'd rather them just let the characters RIP BUT if I had to settle I certainly wouldn't want 60 year old Hicks and Ripley being the main characters.
Seconding this.

Kel G 426

What's the problem with them being older?

NetworkATTH

What would be the retcon if they're not bringing back ripley and hicks.

there wouldn't be a retcon

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed