Is Fox Trying Too Hard To Create A Marvel-esque EU? - AvPGalaxy Podcast #40

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 29, 2016, 08:08:12 AM

Author
Is Fox Trying Too Hard To Create A Marvel-esque EU? - AvPGalaxy Podcast #40 (Read 17,176 times)

Corporal Hicks

And is that necessarily a bad thing? We have just uploaded the 40th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy podcast (right-click and save as to download)! This latest episode sees RidgeTop host a conversation between himself, Xenomorphine and I about the current state of the expanded universe – more specifically is Fox trying too hard to create a Marvel-esque EU and is that a bad thing?

The latest episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast sees RidgeTop host a conversation between himself, Xenomorphine and I about the current state of the expanded universe - more specifically is Fox trying too hard to create a Marvel-esque EU and is that a bad thing?

The latest episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast sees RidgeTop host a conversation between himself, Xenomorphine and I about the current state of the expanded universe – more specifically is Fox trying too hard to create a Marvel-esque EU and is that a bad thing?

I take the time to have a gripe about all the retconing that has been taking place lately (even I can’t stomach the sounds of the new Predator prequel coming out!) and we ponder about all the attempts at trying to connect the expanded universe to one another. I will also apologise as I was ill at the time of the recording so I don’t sound my usual charming self.

You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. What did you think of the latest episode and about the recent expanded universe releases? Let us know down below! Thanks for listening.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Cool, checking it out now. I was in need of something to listen to tonight.

I'm agreeing. As someone who was at the age picking up the older comics when I was a kid, I feel the EU at the moment is having too much studio interference to shoehorn stuff in & I would love them to just go off & do their own thing again. I love this franchise so much that it kills me to see it go the way it is these days.

Sourabh Karmakar

I don't think AVP 2010 is the last of the EU. Cause it was ended with xenomorph homeworld coordinates revelation to both Yautjas and Older looking Weyland.  :o  :-  :-  :'(  ???

XENOMORPHOSIS

This is very likely due to the success of The Avengers in 2012 "the yeah Prometheus also came out" leading to most post Alien Predator EU including the games Aliens Colonial Marines/Alien Isolation ect material being handled in a cross over connected universe.

me

Instead of focusing on an EU, Fox needs to focus on just making a good movie.  Just make a good movie and the people will come.  Don't need to copy everything everybody else does.

FiorinaFury161

QuoteFox needs to focus on just making a good movie.
While I completely agree, we all are very aware of the sole reason FOX does anything; money. I am all for an expanded universe, so long as new films/games/books/etc. support each other and don't try to contradict another (ahem Alien 5 ahem). New characters and actors are pivotal in franchises, just think if Christian Bale didn't take The Dark Knight series and we got, oh let's say George Clooney for all three. We all see how many endorsements have risen for Marvel since The Avengers, why not have a facehugger to go cup (reuseable of course ;) ) and Predator spear pens?

Hey, all we can do is try after all.

Nostromo

Nostromo

This is one awesome podcast guys. I listened to most of it this morning half asleep, but man you guys, especially Hicks, really hit the nail right on the head and kept on hitting. I will listen to it a few more times, very interesting topic.

I've been saying the EXACT same thing about the new Disney Star wars fking around and completely screwing up years of continuity just for the sake of giving us what they think fans want. And this fkin rebooting shyte, it's not really smart. Talk about diluting your franchise.

And yes 100% agree what is worse is using the same old characters and events all the time in the new stories. As if they are not smart enough to make up new events and characters etc.

That's why I like Defiance and Alien isolation. Anyways great podcast, really happy you guys think this way, have to have another listen to this or two, or 3.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Out of curiosity does anyone have the link to where Neill Blomkmap commented his like of AVP as a concept?

DisLike, I meant his dislike of AVP

SM

QuoteFox needs to focus on just making a good movie.

The publishing and licensing arm don't have anything to do with making films.

Seegson Executive

Sourabh Karmakar the thing is AVP 2010 is a video game, obviously, and video games tend to get a video game sequel and not comic book one, or a novel or a movie. The problem is that AVP 2010 wasn't well received by critics and most fans, so i dont think it will be getting a sequel,  I  mean im sure will be getting an AVP game sooner or later but I dont think they will follow the story of AVP 2010 unfortunately.

Bad Replicant

Nice one gents. Interesting to hear this stuff broken down a bit as I've never been hugely into the EU. Played a couple of the video games in the '90s, but didn't delve into the novels or comics much. Newt's Tale was an exception, which I cherished as a kid. Had the Colonial Marines Technical Manual as well. I thought AVP2 was fantastic, after that I didn't get lost in anything outside of the films again until Isolation. River of Pain piqued my curiosity but kind of lost interest when I heard the stuff about the marines.

Personally, I don't care a great deal what Fox does with EU/world-building in other media as long as the movies are quality.   

Randomizer

That's a really good question. Will listen tonight.

Nostromo

Just heard the 2nd half. I'm surprised there was no talk about the sort of continuity that's happening right now with Aliens Defiance and Alien Isolation. Something which if is done right, could possibly (wishful thinking here) lead to a future Alien game or even an Alien 5 movie.

Imagine a game (or movie) where the now crew of 3 pick up Amanda and continue to different space stations, shipyards, planets trying to eradicate the Alien from spreading. A game where you can take control of Davis the android as well and run some missions with him/it and the other different characters.

Damn that would be awesome...

me

SM, that is the whole point of an extended universe.  Everything works together. Books, movies, comics, etc.  Fox owns it, they have control over it.

Xenomorphine

The problem is, a lot of the time it hasn't worked together. SM's done some excellent work on figuring out all the time-line (and other) inconsistencies.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed