[SPOILERS] Question for those that have seen it regarding David/Walter/Ash..

Started by bacchus, May 12, 2017, 03:45:28 AM

Author
[SPOILERS] Question for those that have seen it regarding David/Walter/Ash.. (Read 4,998 times)

bacchus

bacchus

My last thread, I promise.

Anyway, a question:

Spoiler
On a couple of occasions in the film, Walter says to David that David's model number (model 8 ) was seen as possessing faults/personality flaws that made him too similar to humans and so subsequent models (including Walter) were re-designed to be more subservient, less-human and more protective.

Seeing as Covenant is a prequel/set before the events of Alien and Ash, you would assume that Ash would possess the same characteristics as Walter (i.e. subservient, unwilling to harm humans, less human-like in personality), yet Ash as we know wanted to harm Ripley, was taunting her about the Xeno calling it a "perfect organism" etc and displaying the traits of David than Walter.

David and Walter and both Weyland, and Ash was Weyland-Yutani, so all from the same developers you would assume. Obviously Ash is a different model in terms of appearance, but considering its the same company, if an android had such a major fault as David's model then that would be one of the issues rectified pretty sharpish.

Did I miss something, or is this bit of a plot hole of sorts?
[close]

Whos_Nick

Walter was Weyland-Yutani, but you could argue Ash was more like Walter anyways, just programmed to bring back the specimen rather than protect the crew. It could have just been the way Ian Holm played it as well.

bacchus

Quote from: Whos_Nick on May 12, 2017, 04:00:50 AM
Walter was Weyland-Yutani, but you could argue Ash was more like Walter anyways, just programmed to bring back the specimen rather than protect the crew. It could have just been the way Ian Holm played it as well.

Just couldn't see Walter strangling a human or being provocative/antagonistic towards humans in any way. Ash seemed to change personality when he was outed, which seems a more devious trait more similar to David than Walter.

NetworkATTH

Perhaps he was programmed to be a spy. Illegal pergaps, but by that time there's nothing stopping them from making a one unit ghost with little history on board.

Uncanny Antman

There's no reason to assume design specs stay static over time.  Just as Walter is different to David, Ash is different to Walter.

Xenoscream

Alien Runner

Quote from: bacchus on May 12, 2017, 04:23:28 AM

Just couldn't see Walter strangling a human or being provocative/antagonistic towards humans in any way. Ash seemed to change personality when he was outed, which seems a more devious trait more similar to David than Walter.

In future prequels, David becomes leader of Weyland-Yutani and creates Ash to retrieve his creation.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: Alien Runner on May 12, 2017, 05:07:23 AM
Quote from: bacchus on May 12, 2017, 04:23:28 AM

In future prequels, David becomes leader of Weyland-Yutani and creates Ash to retrieve his creation.

Irony twitter is that way

Doctor Ash

What do we learn about the fusion of Weyland and Yutani in Covenant?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G530FZ mit Tapatalk

USS-Sulaco

It's pretty clear Ash has been tweaked to do whatever he is ordered by the company.

Xenoscream

When Ash got violent I always thought it was really hard for him to do, like he is going against his primary coding because of the special order and basically ceases to function properly (if you watch the scene he face is contorting and he's sweating blood and generally flipping out). His strength is shown then he grabs Parker's chest.

USS-Sulaco

Quote from: Xenoscream on May 12, 2017, 11:04:31 AM
When Ash got violent I always thought it was really hard for him to do, like he is going against his primary coding because of the special order and basically ceases to function properly (if you watch the scene he face is contorting and he's sweating blood and generally flipping out). His strength is shown then he grabs Parker's chest.

Yep, I think whatever tampering they did with him was conflicting with his base programming

Necronomicon II

^ This. Ash was pretty duplicitous and knew much more than he led on; "Well, as I said, I'm still... collating, actually, but uh, I have confirmed that he's got an outer layer of protein polysaccharides."  :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed