Which 'Canon' do you prefer?

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Nov 20, 2022, 03:00:55 AM

Which 'Canon' do you prefer?

"Pre-Prometheus" (ALIEN, ALIENS,  ALIEN 3, ALIEN RESURRECTION, and applicable supplementary material pre-Prometheus)
14 (23%)
"Expanded Universe" (Toylines, Comics, Novels, Anything set within the 'ALIEN' IP including unmade films)
1 (1.6%)
AVP Canon (AVP, AVP Requiem, and applicable sources/materials)
3 (4.9%)
"New Canon" (ALIEN 1-4, PROMETHEUS, ALIEN COVENANT, Isolation, Alien The Cold Forge, Alien The Roleplaying Game, etc)
16 (26.2%)
"Anything Goes" (Pick and choose/Personal preference)
27 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author
Which 'Canon' do you prefer? (Read 10,550 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Stitch on Nov 20, 2022, 01:02:55 PMWhatever is applicable for the film I'm watching

This, and generally being as reductive as possible. For example, Prometheus requires no other films or content to be canon to it. Likewise, Alien requires no other films or content to be canon to it. While say, Alien 3 requires Alien and Aliens, but nothing else. And so on.

Nightmare Asylum

It's an approach that's been running strong for nearly 70 years at this point with Godzilla.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Nov 20, 2022, 08:47:40 PMIt's an approach that's been running strong for nearly 70 years at this point with Godzilla.

I learned from the king.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Pretty much everything but I don't worry about canon that much.

ralfy

ralfy

Pre-Prometheus, as it's challenging to come up with an "origin" stories that clashes with corporate/blue collar ethos of the previous movies, if not horror and/or action. At best, they could have extended the franchise by working on stories like those from the audio dramas and games like Isolation.

For the origin stories, they would have probably needed something like a political thriller combined with procedural. That would be interesting in the form of a mini-series.

About crossovers with Predator, I read somewhere that one reason the AVP franchise didn't do very well is because the audience faced combinations of up to three sets of protagonists/antagonists.

Some Old Dude

For me it's alien 1-3 and the two prequels.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Some Old Dude on Nov 21, 2022, 07:25:38 AMFor me it's alien 1-3 and the two prequels.

Give Rez a chance without taking things so seriously, you might end up having a good time. It's very silly but it was getting made either way and the version we got (rather than what we could have got) is a lot of fun in the right context.

Quote from: ralfy on Nov 21, 2022, 01:24:19 AMAbout crossovers with Predator, I read somewhere that one reason the AVP franchise didn't do very well is because the audience faced combinations of up to three sets of protagonists/antagonists.

I think it was just that the AvP movies were a bit shit. And I say that having just defended Resurrection in the same post.

Some Old Dude

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 21, 2022, 09:26:51 AM
Quote from: Some Old Dude on Nov 21, 2022, 07:25:38 AMFor me it's alien 1-3 and the two prequels.

Give Rez a chance without taking things so seriously, you might end up having a good time. It's very silly but it was getting made either way and the version we got (rather than what we could have got) is a lot of fun in the right context.

Im old enough to have seen it in the 90's and several times since. No matter how many chances I give it, as good as it's strengths are, it sucks and I don't like it enough to count it as canon.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

I'm a bit torn on what 'canon' to accept myself; They all have their Pros/Cons and they're all really cool IMO. One canon that I've been working with or thinking about a lot are the more recent materials via games and their supplementary materials that are more in line with Cameron's visions and ideas

Namely - Aliens: Colonial Marines, FireTeam Elite, AVP: The Hunt Begins (mostly in terms of 'castes' or Xenomorph phenotypes) along with the other films, the Weyland Yutani Report, and the RPG books to help 'smooth over' other stuff and help 'connect the dots' as much as possible while still allowing some freedom for extrapolation or personal ideas/thoughts; For example, I'm a bit partial to the idea that Xenomorphs are indeed a 'natural' species, or at least had some progenitor like them, and I'll admit I'm a sucker for the phenotypic diversity or nomenclature/dynamics presented in the aforementioned materials (allows for diversity or unique designs without going full 'Kenner' per-say)

The Cruentus

I would pick the pre promethues one, but adding Isolation and removing Resurrection, as that is more of a parody to me.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Prometheus came out in 2012, and Alien Isolation in 2014, so I understand why it is not an option here.

I would easily vote option four, but it is inaccurate, Colonial Marines does not factor into the new canon or current continuity. It should be removed from that particular option. And probably substituted with Alien The Cold Forge, as it is the one novel with by far the biggest influence on the current expanded universe continuity, visible in The RPG, Fireteam Elite, and of course many other novels.

Also Prometheus released in 2012, so the first option should not include Colonial Marines either, being it released in 2013.

@Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Samhain13

Samhain13

Personal canon masterrace coming through

Huntsman

Huntsman

ALIEN, ALIENS, ALIEN 3, RESURRECTION, ISOLATION. Not really bothered by the rest. Although Resurrection is what it is, I do like the idea of the Ripley clone.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I go by the OG trilogy and everything else is what ifs. 

When talking comics I throw the comics in their own continuity but don't try to fit the movies in them.  Especially since Marvel nuked DHs stuff.

Same with games/novels/terrible prequels/terrible sequels/terrible vs movies etc.

It really doesn't matter what the suits say.  The suits went out of their way back in the day to tell everybody that all the DH stuff was canon.  Then disney/marvel laid the mouse weiner down.  I don't particularly think that they will try very hard to work all of their movies into a working canon either under the mouse house.  If they are writing standalone movies I see it as a way to kind of test the waters of where fan interest is. 

If it isn't in new standalone movies with new characters, then I fully expect them to reboot the franchise. 

ralfy

ralfy

Right: the first four movies do well, but with the latter two affected by various issues. Isolation could have been a very helpful contribution, together with some of the audio dramas from Audible.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed