Why were Stompy and the other Xenomorphs on Sevastopol so big?

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Nov 15, 2022, 01:17:24 AM

Author
Why were Stompy and the other Xenomorphs on Sevastopol so big? (Read 2,775 times)

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Something I had been remembering recently is that 'Stompy' (the nickname given to the Xenomorph Drone from Alien: Isolation were eff-off big compared to most of their brethren; Your average Xeno Drone or Warrior is about 7 or so feet tall, but Stompy and the others were around 9 or 10, being nearly as large as Praetorians! This is especially considering they came from the same 'clutch' of eggs as Big Chap who was normal sized for a Xenomorph.

Personally I have a few ideas or theories as to why they were able to get so big beyond the game devs wanting to really make the Aliens feel like unstoppable juggernauts due to scale.

1. An abundance of resources allowed them to get bigger, as if I recall correctly Big Chap's rapid growth was partially due to finding food as a Chestburster and gorging themselves, and this was on a comparatively rinky-dink ship rather than a much bigger supply depot space-station. While Xenomorphs don't NEED to eat, we do know they can; The Dragon actively fed on the people it killed, and other sources like the AVP movies, games, and Alien novels suggest they do in fact consume hosts for food. Granted, the canonicity of some of these sources is VERY tenuous, but we do know Xenomorphs can eat in some capacity, so perhaps that occurred here?

2. They're a unique 'phenotype' or evolution; As much as I'm not incredibly fond of any single Xenomorph/Xenomorphs being able to 'moult' into a Queen willy-nilly, it could be possible that Stompy and the others were developing into a more 'Royal' caste (digitigrade/spurred legs*, long-bladed tails, increased stature and intelligence) whether they or the others were becoming Praetorians and ultimately Queens, or perhaps some sort of other phenotype that allowed them to breed rapidly (ie sort of an 'Eggmorpher' or 'Drone' in the sense of them being 'reproductives') as there hadn't been a Queen on Sevastopol during the initial 'outbreak' 

Of course, this is all just my own personal stupid conjecture, and I wanna hear your guys' theories or ideas as to why these guys were made so friggin' big!

*I am aware that the actual reason is plantigrade legs wouldn't animate properly but it's still something to consider given that other Xenomorph Drones in other games/canon possess plantigrade feet and legs.

BlueMarsalis79

Artistically in Alien Isolation to effectively communicate the power they have over the player, to stand apart from other depictions, where they can be easily blown away with a gun.

This got carried over to Aliens Fireteam Elite, with their Drones and Warriors being massive whilst Runners and Prowlers are of average human height and mass. (Closer to depictions of Aliens in the three prior AVP FPS entries.)

PAS Spinelli

It's just a design difference, the Alien from the first movie has the same design and size in the Isolation version of events, you can see that in the what if scenario of the DLCs

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Aug 21, 2019, 04:30:50 AMThe big chunky jaw they gave Stompy compared to the original will always be what keeps me loving that bastard.

BlueMarsalis79

I attribute the lack of lips to the fact the damn things never stopped snarling in the sequels.

PAS Spinelli

it does have lips actually! it's just never closes them

BlueMarsalis79

That's what I mean! lol

The Cruentus

Aliens have always been in the range of 7 to 9ft, I guess it depends on the media and maybe the individual, like some species, an individual can be larger than the common size.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: SiL on Aug 21, 2019, 04:30:50 AMThe big chunky jaw they gave Stompy compared to the original will always be what keeps me loving that bastard.

They went from Big Chap to Big Chad with that jaw  :laugh:

Kradan

judge death

To me stompy seemed same size as big chap, so to me its normal sized xeno. Maybe digit legs made it a inch bigger but wouldnt class it as bigger.

The Cruentus

Plus we do see it more often and in the open than the shots in the first two movie do.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Odd, because most sources seem to suggest Stompy and the others were MUCH bigger than Chap was, but I could be wrong.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/201402-opm.pdf

The source in question

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Maybe it isn't a drone but something that grew from a drone. Ladies and gentlemen I brought you the Alien Aristocrat what is it, basically a bigger drone

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed