Predators and regrowing limbs, yay or nay?

Started by The Shuriken, May 18, 2022, 09:56:00 PM

Predators and regrowing limbs, yay or nay?

Yay
7 (19.4%)
Nay
29 (80.6%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author
Predators and regrowing limbs, yay or nay? (Read 6,907 times)

SuperiorIronman

Just to be on the safe side I'm going to spoiler tag this

Spoiler
I figure this probably goes in the things we didn't notice thread but this is more a franchise thing. Anyone else notice that 4 of the 5 solo films involve a Predator losing an arm? Jungle Hunter might very well be the only one to have a film where one doesn't. It just weird to think about. Like how an Alien always has to fall or get sucked into something a Predator has to lose an arm. Which means that by now we should go against the trope. An improvised prosthetic or something they'd have just in case given this seems to be a weirdly common problem for them.
[close]

razeak

I think it fits better if they have cool prosthetics, or stabbing weapons on a stump lol. Maybe they could have an autism injector attached and help make other species better.

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Regrowing limbs from medical technology or, in the case of the 'Ultimate' Predator some weapons grade gene-splicing? Sure.

But 'ordinary' Yautja sprouting out new limbs? That seems a bit much in my opinion.

ralfy

One can probably see that in light of cloning technologies in movies like the fourth Alien movie, and from there assume that Predators have even more advancec tech compared to that.

Ar-Durinn

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Sep 07, 2022, 12:57:52 PMJust to be on the safe side I'm going to spoiler tag this

Spoiler
I figure this probably goes in the things we didn't notice thread but this is more a franchise thing. Anyone else notice that 4 of the 5 solo films involve a Predator losing an arm? Jungle Hunter might very well be the only one to have a film where one doesn't. It just weird to think about. Like how an Alien always has to fall or get sucked into something a Predator has to lose an arm. Which means that by now we should go against the trope. An improvised prosthetic or something they'd have just in case given this seems to be a weirdly common problem for them.
[close]

Right, the arms...

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

Quote from: Ar-Druinn on Nov 15, 2022, 11:53:49 AM
Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Sep 07, 2022, 12:57:52 PMJust to be on the safe side I'm going to spoiler tag this

Spoiler
[close]

Right, the arms...https://emos.plurk.com/276e53253a398bd3f7634e43a11cefd4_w48_h48.gif

When I first watched Predator 2 and saw the 'salve' the City Hunter was putting on his stump, I actually thought he was putting it there because it was going to help grow his arm back, albeit eventually.

More than likely it was just to like, stop the bleeding and help the wound heal/close over, but I don't see why Yautja wouldn't figure out ways to grow back limbs. Again, the question is how much and is it a 'natural' ability or only able through their tech?

SuperiorIronman

I could see a story where someone like Bionic is irritated he's left as a cyborg where someone better off was able to grow theirs body back. Maybe a lack of access to cloning equipment or in a post-The Predator universe the technology is off limits. Further someone like Assassin who is a guinea pig for these kinds of experiments, as inevitably you'll ask "can we make it better than the hand you lost". You could absolutely create a literal class warfare arc where hunters start to question their abilities/station and we see what deranged shit they get up to. As a side note for Bionic, he uses the female roar. You could play with that as perhaps Binoic was put back together in a way that was wrong. Whether Bionic was male and gained a female voice or was female and brought back male, there's a story in there about their sense of self as regardless Binoic's body very much no longer resembles the old one and feels disconnected from past victories as a result.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed