Best viewing order for first time watching?

Started by Obama, Jun 07, 2021, 03:53:12 PM

Author
Best viewing order for first time watching? (Read 13,472 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

ALIEN:

Alien - Aliens
Alien3
Alien: Resurrection

Alien: Covenant

-

PREDATOR:

Predator
Predator 2
Predators
Prey

-

AVP:

AvP

Nightmare Asylum

Alien:
Alien (TC)
Aliens (TC or SE)
Alien 3 (SE)
Alien: Resurrection (TC)
Prometheus
Alien: Covenant

Predator:
Predator
Predator 2
Predators
Prey

AVP:
Nah

Crazy Rich

Alien:

Alien (Theatrical)
Aliens (Special)
Alien 3 (Special)
Alien: Resurrection (Theatrical)

For me Prometheus and Alien: Covenant are entirely optional because I see them as an offshoot that I don't even really acknowledge to be honest.

Predator:

Predator
Predator 2
Predators
Prey

As for AvP... I'd say check out the first just for the experience.

Annnnd "Belongs in the Dumpster Fire so Don't Bother":

AvP-R
The Predator

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

hmmm

Blade Runner (Final Cut)
Alien
Predator
Aliens
Predator 2
Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)
Alien Resurrection
Predators
Prometheus
Covenant
Prey

The way I watched switched back and forth between Predator and Alien movies periodically and I think that was good since they were contemporaries at points. Also watch Blade Runner first since it informs what Ridley Scot(?) pictured Earth like, from what I understand. (Havent seen the new Blade Runner though)

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

If we include Blade Runner and Blade Runner 2049:

Alien Theatrical 4K Blu-ray
Predator 4K Blu-ray
Aliens (Either Edition)
Predator 2 4K Blu-ray
AlienĀ³ (A34K)
Predators 4K Blu-ray
Alien Resurrection Blu-ray
Prometheus 3D/4K Blu-ray
Alien Covenant 4K Blu-ray
Blade Runner Final Cut 4K Blu-ray
Blade Runner 2049 3D/4K Blu-ray
Prey

exorcissy72

As a first time watch, watching the movies in release order would be a lot more rewarding. All the movies build on the others, and I think it'd be more interesting to watch the evolution of the franchise. Besides, if you watch them in the timeline order you end up watching like two to three different homages to Aliens before actually watching Aliens.

Furthermore, I don't think the AvP movies or Alien prequels work all that well without having some understanding of the franchise(s) that came before them.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Alien (TC)
Predator
Aliens (TC)
Predator 2
Alien 3 (TC)
Predators
Prey

If you're curious after that:
Alien vs Predator
Prometheus

Relegate to the fires of Hell:
Alien Resurrection
The Predator
Aliens Vs Predator Requiem
Alien Covenant

alexpop

Top 3?
Predator
AVP
Predator 2

Kel G 426

I can't find the quote now, but someone once said:

Alien, Aliens, Predator, STOP!
Enjoy sweet, sweet life.

BlueMarsalis79

Some idiot.

Kradan

Yeah, how much is the life worth living if you don't watch Resurrection

BlueMarsalis79

I was actually thinking, more along the lines of how dull do you have to be to not enjoy Predator 2 even the once?

Nevermind AlienĀ³ or Prey.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

The quote was made long before Prey.

For the record, I love Predator 2 and thought Prey was excellent.

Acid_Reign161

This is absolutely not a dig at the OP, but I'll never understand "which order should I watch" threads, in the same vein as "what is a good jumping on point for (insert tv show here)?" - the answer always will be (and always should be) "the beginning." Any prequel chronologically always requires some knowledge of the movie or tv show that came before it, you will simply ruin the experience any other way.

So (to me) there's only two acceptable ways to view: Either release order of each movie (as if you grew up with them and saw each one as they arrived) or by individual franchise in release order (the latter is my preference, as the franchises shouldn't mix). Like with the release order, I'd always go for first versions of the movies released too, and then you have the joy of seeing the extended/directors cuts on a later viewing. However, if you are set on only one version of each movie, this would be my suggested viewing order to get the most out of the experience:

(Alien Movies)
Alien (Director's Cut)
Aliens (Special Edition)
Alien 3 (Assembly Cut)
Alien Resurrection (Theatrical Cut *you can take or leave this one, I treat it as expanded media like a dark horse comic - Alien is a Trilogy in my view)

(Pathogen Movies)
Prometheus (3D - as theatrically intended)
Alien Covenant

(Predator Movies)
Predator
Predator 2
Prey (Comanche Language Version)
*do yourself a favour and disregard Predators and the Predator*

(AvP Movies)
*worth a one time watch as popcorn flicks /live action dark horse comics, then put them in the same bin as Predators and the predator*

dnicholson277

Release order... only ones I'd say you could move around and it wouldn't make much difference is swap Predators and The Predator around.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed