VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"?

Started by Voodoo Magic, Feb 12, 2019, 05:13:36 PM

Author
VMP2: PREDATOR 2: Is the City Hunter Predator "bad blood"? (Read 19,385 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 10:51:40 PM
You're imagining Elder Greyback has a human's concept of morality though

A fair point to make, but in regards to hunting, doesn't the Yautja morality match humans or come very close?  Don't hunt the young. Don't hunt the pregnant. Trophy collecting is okay. Camouflage is okay. Advanced weaponry is okay. Bait trickery like duck calls or deer urine is okay. All acceptable during the hunt.

The Old One

The Old One

Fair digs, BTW do you agree with me regarding Predator 3?

Voodoo Magic

Sorry, I meant to reply to that and forgot. I absolutely adore the idea of the Thomas brothers coming back to write "Predator 3"!  Adore it!

Do you know how old they are though? I recall that their internet bios were always pretty thin.

The Old One

The Old One

No idea tbh.

SiL

Predators are always shown as sadistic. The first could've just killed Dutch at the end, but wanted to beat the living shit out of him with his bare hands. "Fair fight" my ass, he knew Dutch couldn't hurt him. The Elder Predator killing CH was because CH failed in his hunt, much the same way as them trying to blow themselves up when they lose.

All that being said, Kevin Peter Hall literally calls him a "bad blood" in a promo interview for the movie :D

I don't think he meant he was going against the Predator hunting code or whatever, just that he's a much more vicious, in-your-face killer. He's not the patient stalker from the first movie.

SM

More bad hunter than bad blood.

Local Trouble

Weren't they both "pussy predators" according to PWSJ?

The Old One

The Old One

Haha, indeed. ;D @SM

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 11:46:50 PM
No idea tbh.

Unfortunately, based on the lackluster performance of "The Predator", I highly doubt Disney/Fox will execute on any immediate plans for another feature, in time to take advantage of the talents of the Thomas brothers, if it's not too late already.  :-\

Quote from: SiL on Feb 12, 2019, 11:54:20 PM
Predators are always shown as sadistic. The first could've just killed Dutch at the end, but wanted to beat the living shit out of him with his bare hands. "Fair fight" my ass, he knew Dutch couldn't hurt him.

Fair fight or not, I don't believe the Elder would cry foul with a chance for the human prey to defeat the Predator at its own combat (fisticuffs) just as it doesn't cry foul for using advanced weaponry or camouflage. That's not a fair fight either. Their logic must be the context, not ours.

QuoteThe Elder Predator killing CH was because CH failed in his hunt, much the same way as them trying to blow themselves up when they lose.

Yes, I considered that interpretation, but all that is an alternate interpretation and neither interpretation is conclusive in the draft either way.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 12, 2019, 09:24:11 PM
In an early draft of the "Predator 2" script, the City Hunter was still breathing after his last fight with Harrigan, only for the Grayback Elder Predator to behead the City Hunter with a flash of a knife. It didn't read to me that the Elder Predator was very happy with the CH.

It also ends like that on the novelization, Pussyface let the Elder do it, he accepts it. The novel has a lot of parts from Pussyface's POV, he thought that by killing Harrigan's team mates it would make him want to seek revenge, thus becoming a greater challenge on their fight, he didn't seem to be enjoying the "psychological torture" on Mike, it was just a means to an end. When I first watched the movie I thought it was mostly coincidental, but on the novel it goes on detail on how much Pussyface is stalking Harrigan, he only attacked the metro because he saw Mike's team mates going there.

Pussyface got interested(maybe a little obsessed) on Harrigan from the moment he almost got spotted on the rooftop, saying he was a superior human like Dutch, he wanted to keep the best one for last.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 13, 2019, 02:08:21 AM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 12, 2019, 09:24:11 PM
In an early draft of the "Predator 2" script, the City Hunter was still breathing after his last fight with Harrigan, only for the Grayback Elder Predator to behead the City Hunter with a flash of a knife. It didn't read to me that the Elder Predator was very happy with the CH.

It also ends like that on the novelization, Pussyface let the Elder do it, he accepts it.

In the older script draft too. He seemed to accept his fate. Why he was accepting that fate, was unclear.

QuoteThe novel has a lot of parts from Pussyface's POV, he thought that by killing Harrigan's team mates it would make him want to seek revenge, thus becoming a greater challenge on their fight, he didn't seem to be enjoying the "psychological torture" on Mike, it was just a means to an end.

Interesting! As many here know, I personally only accept the films as canon, not film novelizations or any other EU, but it would be interesting to read the author's interpretations and the fleshing out choices!

QuoteWhen I first watched the movie I thought it was mostly coincidental, but on the novel it goes on detail on how much Pussyface is stalking Harrigan, he only attacked the metro because he saw Mike's team mates going there.

I actually got the stalking right away. Plus Leona called it out after the CH took out King Willy.

QuotePussyface got interested(maybe a little obsessed) on Harrigan from the moment he almost got spotted on the rooftop, saying he was a superior human like Dutch, he wanted to keep the best one for last.

Was Danny's necklace in the novelization? Probably not right? Not if the Elder killed the City Hunter in the book like the old draft. In the old draft, Harrigan found King Willy's dreads in the cemetery - not a necklace.

Corporal Hicks

The code of honor thing is one of the things I truly hate about the EU. It just doesn't work retroactively to Predator and P2. To me, they'll always just be sadistic hunters in it for the thrill of the hunt/satisfaction of the kill.

SiL

The Thomas Brothers also said they were trying to show CH taunting Harrigan and egging him on for a final match.

Stitch

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 13, 2019, 02:39:08 AM
Was Danny's necklace in the novelization? Probably not right? Not if the Elder killed the City Hunter in the book like the old draft. In the old draft, Harrigan found King Willy's dreads in the cemetery - not a necklace.
If I remember correctly it was a medallion, not a necklace.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 13, 2019, 08:48:56 AM
The code of honor thing is one of the things I truly hate about the EU. It just doesn't work retroactively to Predator and P2. To me, they'll always just be sadistic hunters in it for the thrill of the hunt/satisfaction of the kill.

Yeah, they have rules; not honour.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed