Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 774,335 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 28, 2021, 01:16:39 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Sep 27, 2021, 02:11:57 PM
Highlander 2: The Quickening

Highlander 2: Special Edition (2004)

Highlander 3: The Final Dimension

Highlander: Endgame

I've watched and own the original, and then only watched the second one once.

And as far as I've heard, I'm not missing out on anything.

Yeah you're not missing much, though the Renegade/Special Edition cuts of 2 are worth a watch at least once for what they did to try and make a "better" film

Highlander: The Source

Passenger 57

War of the Worlds (2005)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Sep 28, 2021, 01:43:24 PM
Yeah you're not missing much, though the Renegade/Special Edition cuts of 2 are worth a watch at least once for what they did to try and make a "better" film

These cuts never seem to fully turn a film around, do they.

I guess there are a few exceptions, like "Blade Runner".

SiL

SiL

Kingdom of Heaven is another transformative director's cut.

Blood Red Sky

My phone wanted to autocorrect this to Blood Red Shit and I think that about sums it up.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Conan the Barbarian (1982) - Extended Cut

Conan the Destroyer

The first movie is basically a 10/10 masterpiece in fantasy film making. The sequel is nowhere near as good, but fun to watch if you think of it as being a D&D movie instead.

Huggs

Huggs

There's an extended cut?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 28, 2021, 09:56:35 PM
There's an extended cut?

Yes, slightly. It puts back in the princess stuff at the end that was dropped from the US cut, and an extra scene of Conan and Subotai before the final battle. They were both on the DVD, but I had to import an Australian blu-ray to get them in HD.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Sep 28, 2021, 09:27:29 PMKingdom of Heaven is another transformative director's cut.

Word. Never seen a film so completely transformed from meh to borderline masterpiece.

Troy's another good director's cut. It's not quite the revelation Kingdom of Heaven was but the longer version is a vastly better film.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 28, 2021, 10:51:43 PM
There's an extended cut?

Yes, slightly. It puts back in the princess stuff at the end that was dropped from the US cut, and an extra scene of Conan and Subotai before the final battle. They were both on the DVD, but I had to import an Australian blu-ray to get them in HD.

Even though I appreciate the acting of Arnold in that quiet pre-battle scene with Subotai, I prefer the US Cut ending without the Princess. To me it's much more impactful and dramatic

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 29, 2021, 08:48:47 AM
Word. Never seen a film so completely transformed from meh to borderline masterpiece.

Borderline?

Huggs

Huggs

Crimson Tide

Venom

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Alien - Theatrical Cut

Aliens - Special Edition

Alien 3 - Assembly Cut

Alien Resurrection - Theatrical Cut

The only way to watch the series now for me

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 29, 2021, 01:49:16 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 28, 2021, 10:51:43 PM
There's an extended cut?

Even though I appreciate the acting of Arnold in that quiet pre-battle scene with Subotai, I prefer the US Cut ending without the Princess. To me it's much more impactful and dramatic

I think it feels more complete with the princess. Otherwise it just wraps up really quickly with a sudden fade to the end card with Arnold on the throne.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 30, 2021, 03:59:20 PM
I think it feels more complete with the princess. Otherwise it just wraps up really quickly with a sudden fade to the end card with Arnold on the throne.

To me, I don't think it wraps up quickly at all. I think the Princess cut is too much a drag upon the perfect pace. And the music crescendo ending upon the mountain of power burning just gives me the good chills, still!

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Honestly, I can't rewatch the theatrical ending, the edits feel jarring now that I know what's meant to be there. But I know I'm apparently on an island with that, even Chris Morgan and Will Beall forgot the princess existed when writing the Legend of Conan drafts. :laugh:

SiL

SiL

I much prefer the princess cut too. I love the moment of Conan taking her hand and leading her away with Poledouris' beautiful score playing. After the intensity and excitement of the rest of the film, it's nice to just let it breathe and sit there for a moment to reflect on what's happened and let the journey come to a close.

It also shows him completing his McGuffin rather than entirely abandoning the plot :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed