Female Predators, and some things about them I want to address *pretty long*

Started by DUB1, Jun 25, 2011, 11:12:24 AM

Author
Female Predators, and some things about them I want to address *pretty long* (Read 17,838 times)

DUB1

I know there is the Predator study thread, but it's a very old thread and posting this there would count as necroposting. Assuming necroposting is that big a deal here.

Back to female Predators, I've read a lot comments about them and their concept that I felt had to be addressed.

First, the apparent breast issue. Many seem to think breasts on female Predators would look ridiculous, that it wouldn't make sense on account that Predators are reptilian. I disagree. Predators are an alien species. Not to say that aliens would inherently defy scientic explainations, but it's ludicrous to think we'd know exactly how they'd be like. Secondly, if female Preds had breasts they wouldn't have to be like human ones. They wouldn't need a use beyond the aestetic kind, because nature didn't design everything for a practical purpose. What's really the point of human hair, after all?

Thirdly, some say the mandibles wouldn't make breastfeeding possible. They're aliens, like I said. If their breasts had the same purpose as human ones, then the feeding doesn't have to be done through nipples, but maybe four small openings a baby Pred sticks it's mandibles into, instead.

The second thing I wanted to address was whether they hunt or not. Going with the assumption that every Predators so far have been male, it still doesn't prove whether or not their women do hunt. We've only seen five Predator hunts (yeah, the AvP movies count, like it or not), and the Predators are still mysterious. There have no doubt been many hunts, for a very long time, that it's absurd to think we know exactly how each hunt went, and which Predators did or did not hunt. My point? During every movies, somewhere else, female predators might have been hunting.

And that's it for now.

Darkbladepred2.0

Quote from: DUB1 on Jun 25, 2011, 11:12:24 AM
Secondly, if female Preds had breasts they wouldn't have to be like human ones. They wouldn't need a use beyond the aestetic kind, because nature didn't design everything for a practical purpose. What's really the point of human hair, after all?

The many functions of hair include the retention of heat, attraction of mates, protection of skin, and reflection (or absorption) of sunlight.

Breasts dispense milk.

Most of the time things in nature do have a purpose. Things that serve no purpose tend to slowly erode away over millions of years thanks to our good pal evolution.

When it comes to them hunting or not, let's just make sure we leave out the EU... That's all going to boil down to speculation about a gender that we aren't even sure if it exists in the movieverse.

The PredBen

I agree that there is much to know about Predators left. But here's the thing - why would females have breasts - why? Breasts are something female mammals have, a species that lives on Earth. Why would an alien species evolve to have something so similar?

My memories a bit foggy, but didn't Broken Tusk say something to Machiko Noguchi about her having "milk glands" like the females of his own species? If so, then female Predator's use breasts for milk like Earth mammals, which is IMO a lame concept.

AVPmaniak

What I dont understand is how predators would mate. Also how babies are born. That never comes up in the movies. Also, in a book it says that female predators are bigger and stronger than males. If so, then shouldnt females also hunt?

OmegaZilla

Quote from: AVPmaniak on Jun 25, 2011, 02:57:43 PM
What I dont understand is how predators would mate. Also how babies are born. That never comes up in the movies.
[Sir David Attenborough mode ON]
During the mating season, males fight excruciatingly in order to take the female they want - their mouth gets vivid red tones and they start to fight. The battle is divided in two distinct stages, and starts out with a series of growls which purpose is to intimidate the opponent. If one of the contenders runs away, the battle ends. If he does not, the real fight starts. The two Predators roar furiously at each other and start to wrestle and try to get the opponent down. The first Predator to get down loses the fight and has to flee - or his opponent will have the right to kill him. The winner then approaches the female and, literally, kisses her. A special reproduction organ releases the sperm down the female's throat. When the eggs inside her uterus are fecundated and mature, the female in turn gives her 'burden' to the male, depositing the eggs via a specialized ovopositor in her throat that reaches a special sack in the male's chest - where the eggs will be gestated for four months; when the time ends, the female violently rips out the sack with her mandibles and takes out the eggs, that need five more months to germinate into newborns.

Darkbladepred2.0

...From what source did all that originate...???

DUB1

Quote from: Darkbladepred2.0 on Jun 25, 2011, 01:36:07 PM
Most of the time things in nature do have a purpose. Things that serve no purpose tend to slowly erode away over millions of years thanks to our good pal evolution.

When it comes to them hunting or not, let's just make sure we leave out the EU... That's all going to boil down to speculation about a gender that we aren't even sure if it exists in the movieverse.

When it comes to female Predators' breasts having a purpose, it doesn't have to be equivalent to breastfeeding. They could be used to eject some sort of venom, for instance (now I can see some lame jokes being made about that). Males could also do that, but their venom wouldn't be as strong. The idea being that the female's superior venom is used to protect herself and her children.

Or, we could leave the non-aesthetic purpose of breasts a mystery. I don't absolutely need female Predators to have breasts BTW, it's just that I'd like to see the Predator design "feminised" so to speak, even if the female looking Preds weren't actually women but men, or an unindentified gender. I just feel female Predator breasts are written off as nonsensical for no good reason.

Now on the hunting topic, how would most of you here feel about females hunting? What if every Predators we've seen so far were actually female?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Darkbladepred2.0 on Jun 25, 2011, 03:30:59 PM
...From what source did all that originate...???
Strause Bros 'ideas', hyppocampus reproduction style and a blender.

Quote from: DUB1 on Jun 25, 2011, 03:47:22 PM
They could be used to eject some sort of venom, for instance (now I can see some lame jokes being made about that). Males could also do that, but their venom wouldn't be as strong.
Your theory would work if the Predator suits had a hole where this 'venom' is supposedly ejected; there aren't any holes or nipples in Predator suits seen so far, literally. Nothing.
And having round sacks in the precise same place human female breasts are would be a bit too convenient and fan-service-ish, don't you think?

it's just that I'd like to see the Predator design "feminised" so to speak,
There are countless ways to make something feminine without it having any trace of breasts, ya know.

maestro

maestro

like you said, i do not think that the females hunt, and we havent seen them in any movie.

well i think boobs are a given, without them maybe it would be difficult to see whos male and whos female, and besides, come on... who doesnt want to see two big pair of titties on a ugly pussyface?

EDIT: http://www.modelzone.com/mangrasshopper/index.php?level=picture&id=527
maybe like this? without the fancy armor, naginata.

EDIT2: also, the mating, is something that we shouldnt ponder so much about. i dont think they kill each other afterwards, as once suggested. you know maybe it is as simple as
Spoiler
the male getting it on with his predator-penis hurr durr.
[close]

OmegaZilla

Quote from: maestro on Jun 25, 2011, 04:14:29 PM
well i think boobs are a given, without them maybe it would be difficult to see whos male and whos female,

...Sorry?

maestro

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 25, 2011, 04:18:23 PM
well i think boobs are a given, without them maybe it would be difficult to see whos male and whos female,
http://www.theanimalfiles.com/images/sexual_dimorphism.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Descent_of_Man_-_Figure_16.jpg
http://www.findaspider.org.au/info/images/dimorphism.jpg
...Sorry?
well i am saying this from the fact that i dont think that predator females look so different from the males, its not like they have hands sticking out from theyre heads? maybe its like with human males and females?  :-X

DUB1

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 25, 2011, 03:51:09 PM
Your theory would work if the Predator suits had a hole where this 'venom' is supposedly ejected; there aren't any holes or nipples in Predator suits seen so far, literally. Nothing.

it's just that I'd like to see the Predator design "feminised" so to speak,
There are countless ways to make something feminine without it having any trace of breasts, ya know.

About the suit thing, my venom idea could be an exclusively female characteristic. And yes, I know something can be feminised without breasts, I'm just not too quick to dismiss them as absurd.

like you said, i do not think that the females hunt, and we havent seen them in any movie.

I never said I don't think they hunt, I've said we have absolutely no proof that they don't. We don't even know if any of the previous Predators were male to begin with.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: maestro on Jun 25, 2011, 04:23:03 PM
well i am saying this from the fact that i dont think that predator females look so different from the males, its not like they have hands sticking out from theyre heads? maybe its like with human males and females?  :-X
They could have, literally, everything one could imagine. Red foreheads, different color scheme, different proportions (bigger and stronger, or smaller and more fragile), feminine curves, crests, absence/presence of something compared to the males... a bunch of stuff. Breasts aren't necessary.

About the suit thing, my venom idea could be an exclusively female characteristic.
Ohhh, so convenient.

And yes, I know something can be feminised without breasts, I'm just not too quick to dismiss them as absurd.
A breast is the upper ventral region of the chest, in both sides, which is developed in female humans to breastfeed their young. Predator males do not have nipples - thus the females surely don't, making the idea of breasts absurd. If this breast does not have the purpose of a breast, don't call it a breast.
Besides, having them in the exact same place as human females (again) is incredibly fan-service-ish.

maestro

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 25, 2011, 04:38:27 PM
They could have, literally, everything one could imagine. Red foreheads, different color scheme, different proportions (bigger and stronger, or smaller and more fragile), feminine curves, crests, absence/presence of something compared to the males... a bunch of stuff. Breasts aren't necessary.

About the suit thing, my venom idea could be an exclusively female characteristic.
Ohhh, so convenient.

And yes, I know something can be feminised without breasts, I'm just not too quick to dismiss them as absurd.
A breast is the upper ventral region of the chest, in both sides, which is developed in female humans to breastfeed their young. Predator males do not have nipples - thus the females surely don't, making the idea of breasts absurd. If this breast does not have the purpose of a breast, don't call it a breast.
Besides, having them in the exact same place as human females (again) is incredibly fan-service-ish.
maybe they have their lungs there, maybe they are like kangaroo-pouches.  :laugh:

Darkbladepred2.0

Darkbladepred2.0

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jun 25, 2011, 04:38:27 PM

Yup. They're just...

Quoteincredibly fan-service-ish.

Yeah, basically that.

I simply don't see the point, other than giving a mainstream audience another set of knockers to stare at so that they can forget what the movie was actually about.

I don't even see the point of addressing gender differences in the Predator species. Hasn't the EU already proven what dangerous territory that is?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed