Alien: Alone – Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 23, 2019, 07:06:12 PM

Author
Alien: Alone – Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films (Read 33,817 times)

SiL

The first thing the hugger did was attack her. Then realised it couldn't do anything with her. What else was it going to do? It's clearly not her pet, but it's explained why it stays close to her.

Huggs

No threat to the character and they were indeed going for the pet angle.

This is pure covenant celebration.

Aside from the music, there's nothing in this one even remotely related to the original film.

They definitely got their movies confused.

bobbityboo

bobbityboo

Nice link between the original trilogy and this last short.

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2019, 05:59:37 AM
they were indeed going for the pet angle.
I'll let Nrmiller speak for himself on that one.

QuoteAside from the music, there's nothing in this one even remotely related to the original film.
Except the ship designs (same EEV model as the Narcissus), the sets, the set decoration -- drinky birds, Aspen beer, computer interface -- costumes -- both the android's and the guy who comes on the ship -- and repeated character actions -- such as the android's "Ash run" in the corridor. Other than that, totally, not a thing related to the original movie :-\

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Apr 27, 2019, 06:08:15 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2019, 05:59:37 AM
they were indeed going for the pet angle.
I'll let Nrmiller speak for himself on that one.

Oh, I'm certain nobody would be nuts enough to admit it out loud, but the short speaks for itself. The grown Alien doesn't even kill her at the end. Last time I checked, Bishop and Call weren't immune.

Quote from: Highland on Apr 27, 2019, 05:41:23 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2019, 05:31:19 AM
Any stage of the organism being anything less than outright hostile is a big no-no in my book.

These things ain't pets. Even David had his hands full with them in the novelization.

It's possible that you could have shot it differently to imply the same thing, but the hugger slowly drumming it's fingers while you fill in your paint by numbers book was a smidge too far.

I think this says it rather well.

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2019, 06:36:04 AM
Oh, I'm certain nobody would be nuts enough to admit it out loud, but the short speaks for itself.
Again, I'll let the person who actually knows what the intent was speak for himself.

QuoteThe grown Alien doesn't even kill her at the end. Last time I checked, Bishop and Call weren't immune.
They look at each other for a couple of seconds. We have no idea what it does next. Call wasn't killed instantly, she was played with.

Nrmiller

There's nothing to defend or speak for if anyone doesn't care for it, they don't care for it. And they're not wrong about how they feel.

Personally I love the documentary Grizzly Man. A mind, even a synthetic one, can convince itself something is something it isn't.

The Old One

The Old One

Interesting.

SiL

QuoteAnd they're not wrong about how they feel.
Totally, but there's a line between saying how they feel and insisting on what was actually intended based on that.

Local Trouble

This was really the one that made me want to see what happened next.

SiL

Even if it was just another 30 seconds :P

HuDaFuK

This was definitely the most arty of the shorts. I liked it. Moments of it were excellent, but overall it didn't top Specimen or Ore for me.

bacchus

Quote from: Huggs on Apr 27, 2019, 04:48:25 AM
My final personal score

Harvest
Ore
Specimen
Containment
Alone
Night Shift

For such restrictive budgets, some of them did pretty good. Funny thing is, with the first letters of each short you can spell "NO CASH".  :laugh:

:laugh:

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Apr 27, 2019, 08:51:11 AM
Even if it was just another 30 seconds :P

Why is that?  If the alien surmised that the android wasn't a threat, why attack her?

SiL

To see if it surmised if she's a threat or not.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed