The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 236,553 times)

predxeno

The entire Alien movie series is just one explosion of irony actually; at the end of Aliens, Ripley makes such a great effort to protect Newt, her surrogate daughter, only to lose her at the very beginning of Alien 3.  Aliens: Sea of Sorrows lessening Alien: Resurrection's thematic impact isn't a specifically new trend for this series as of late.

Ultramorph

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think the weapoized Xenos are from WY. It wouldn't make sense for them to be coming from (assumingly) remote Predator space. Maybe it's Elden 2.0.  :laugh:

happypred

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 29, 2015, 09:51:36 PMThe entire Alien movie series is just one explosion of irony actually; at the end of Aliens, Ripley makes such a great effort to protect Newt, her surrogate daughter, only to lose her at the very beginning of Alien 3.  Aliens: Sea of Sorrows lessening Alien: Resurrection's thematic impact isn't a specifically new trend for this series as of late.

The Aliens series needs to move on from Ripley. Ripley was an excellent character played to near-perfection by Sigourney Weaver, but the series shouldn't be limited to constantly re-visiting this one character. I don't like Alien 3, but I feel that it does conclude her story arc nicely. I'd like the series to progress, to introduce new characters and situations. 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 29, 2015, 09:47:19 PM
I'd argue its more a case of simple plot convenience to reset the universe lore with a somewhat desperate way to link back to the events of Resurrection but that's probably more me being a pessimistic old git.

Not too sure about that considering that James had to go back and tie in 3 and Resurrection retrospectively after the novel was already written. I'm sure something similar was always in the book.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 29, 2015, 06:18:17 PM
Exactly, and weaponizing Aliens wouldn't be enough to get them running en masse. I know that the old EU is not accounted for but we've seen Aliens being weaponized against the Predators... in Three World War. The Predators didn't run from those Aliens, and I'm talking way before the joint team up with the USCMC.

So it'd have to be something EXTREMELY serious to get the Predators running. Although I can't imagine how serious with the Xenomorph it'd have to be. Considering the experiences the Predators have with the Xenomorph, I doubt infestation of homeworld would be that much of a problem assuming the Predators are fleeing from the homeworld.

I'm sure a mass of weaponized Xenomorphs specifically going for the Predators would be good enough. Remember, the EU always displays their humans being their strength and if numbers were sufficient enough...well, AvP flashback.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 30, 2015, 07:17:03 AM
I'm sure a mass of weaponized Xenomorphs specifically going for the Predators would be good enough. Remember, the EU always displays their humans being their strength and if numbers were sufficient enough...well, AvP flashback.

Maybe but we also have to remember that there is an unspecified number of clans. Some of these clans maybe potentially allied with one another, others maybe antagonistic. I'm sure that there are some very strong clans out there with maybe a high number count as well, and throw in potential allied clans.. Well, obvious numbers speak. So for the Predators to be fleeing, some extremely powerful force would have to get them running with Xenomorphs under some control.

You mention the AvP flashback, so I am going to assume you mean the movie. Those Aliens were bred for a specific purpose, and for a few hundred years the Predators were successful... until somewhere along the line, something got screwed up which resulted in the indigenous population of Antarctica being wiped out and the Predators overwhelmed. There were three fighting that pyramid and they took down dozens before being taken down. Their last minute ditch was the self-destruct which... did the job of course. But that was just one clan.

So... what I want to say or ask.. is this ONE clan fleeing or multiple clans? If it's one clan.. I suppose that would be more likely for Xenomorphs to make this one clan of Predators to flee. If it's more than one clan, or the whole race (Super Predators not accounted for due to species tension) then it'd have to be DAMN serious.

....You mentioned the Engineers using the Xenomorphs, well.. what if it's not them? What if it's the Super Predators? Kind of invokes Three World War and AvP: Evolution if that's going to be the case.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 29, 2015, 09:47:19 PMBut nevertheless it goes against everything Ripley stood for. She spent her life and subsequent second life trying to prevent such a threat from reaching Earth to wipe out humanity, only to more or less manage it herself via other means...

But it wasn't Ripley. It was Ripley 8. And the film often hinted that Ripley 8 didn't especially care because she wasn't all human.

Corporal Hicks

HuDaFuK

We're using this on Xenopedia. No idea where it came from (I didn't source it).

Corporal Hicks

Ta. Updated the front page.

Bender

Can't wait for this to hit the shelves. I liked Lebbon's Alien-book very much. It's a shame we have to wait till September. Well, the TPB's of Fire and Stone are getting published from April on, so I can bridge the time with these...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bender on Mar 30, 2015, 12:26:19 PM
Can't wait for this to hit the shelves. I liked Lebbon's Alien-book very much. It's a shame we have to wait till September. Well, the TPB's of Fire and Stone are getting published from April on, so I can bridge the time with these...

I thought it was going to take longer, myself. Think November was what Tim thought originally. I'm looking forward to it too. I liked Tim's book (liked all 3 tbh but they all had some issues) too so I'm looking forward to see what he does with Jim's reset world.

Donald

The cover looks a bit amateurish to me.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Donald on Mar 30, 2015, 01:05:56 PM

You're not wrong there.  :-\ I miss the days of the art covers. Even Stephen Youlls photoshop stuff for DH Press was (mostly) good.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Donald on Mar 30, 2015, 01:05:56 PM

It looks terrible.   :-\

I think Denis Beauvais was the king of Aliens art.  They should bring him back in a big way....

Samhain13

I hope this guy dont try to make turn predators into something else, or we are going to get another Forever Midnight. The synopsis is already lowering my expectations a bit since an invading force of aliens that can pursue them through space seems like the predators' wet dream.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed