The Disney and 20th Century Fox Merger - AvP Galaxy Podcast #61

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 10, 2018, 07:50:19 PM

Author
The Disney and 20th Century Fox Merger - AvP Galaxy Podcast #61 (Read 18,070 times)

Huggs

I believe sega still does Xiggz. Last I heard was a long time ago, they were pondering whether or not a sequel would be financially profitable. It's a shame, if that's the case. I wish they'd sell to someone else. Isolation was a truly unique event. It was like Alien 79 for videogames. It was borderline perfection and I personally do not expect that lightening to strike twice. Perhaps if we get an actual Aliens movie from Disney that reignites the public interest in the franchise, Sega may be more motivated to green-light a sequel.

But what would it be about? The events of Hadley's hope before the marines arrived? Maybe you could be one of the inmates on fury 161. Thought dead, but somehow survived or was hiding. Now the place is shut down, and your completely alone, except for an alien. What if the fire didn't kill the queen? The xeno did survive the molten lead afterall. Maybe you'd be stalked by the queen, she'd be growing slightly bigger every level, and she'd be hungry. How in the world would you escape? I don't know about you, but the thought of hiding from an ever growing Alien queen in that place with only a shiv and your intelligence seems horrifying. Or you could be battling insanity as well as the queen. But does she induce it herself or is it just your own mind going insane? Having to decide on the fly if something is real or part of your mind would be wild. Did you really see someone go around that corner? Or is she beckoning you to her?

Dean Learner

Great job with the podcast guys, as always really informed, fun chat. My main reason for concern for the merger, isn't that Alien and Predator would have a new home, it's the current business model that Disney uses and has had great success with. Unlike Warners or Paramount, Disney work on releasing very few films a year and they fit into the Marvel/Pixar/live-action remake of animated classic rather than the usual big tent pole, awards bait and lower budget director-driven films which was Hollywood's bread and butter for much of the '90s to the present day.

After the disappointing take for Covenant, I won't be shocked if Disney sub-licences the likes of Alien to Netflix or even Universal who have a habit of picking up properties the home studio doesn't want anyone due to the meagre profit margins (Hellboy 2 and Pacific Rim: Uprising are examples of this).

Another point of concern is Disney's treatment of the original films, they will want them for their streaming service, but will we see 4K reissues given that Disney rarely release non-animated older films?

Alionic

I hope Scott leaves the series if Disney tries to force him to do some generic, overproduced blockbuster formula like that of the new Star Wars films or Marvel. If they want to go that route, then just give it to someone else. Blomkamp is desperate for work, so Disney could easily make him do whatever they want.

Having it end with that shot of David and the Covenant going into deep space would be good enough for me.

The Highlander MacLeod

The Highlander MacLeod

@ Alionic: Agree 100%. If Disney forced Sir Ridley to stay on the series, we'd get another crapfest along the same lines as AVP.

SM

How are they going to force him?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, the clueless and naive statements on here sometimes...

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 14, 2018, 11:51:16 PM
Blomkamp is desperate for work, so Disney could easily make him do whatever they want.

The Highlander MacLeod

The Highlander MacLeod

If Disney is truly interested in successfully keep the series going, they should consider adapting the latest expanded universe novels from Titan Books. Blomkamp and Sir Ridley could do very good things with those stories.

Alionic

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 18, 2018, 05:11:51 PM
Yeah, the clueless and naive statements on here sometimes...

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 14, 2018, 11:51:16 PM
Blomkamp is desperate for work, so Disney could easily make him do whatever they want.

Blomkamp has been reduced to making youtube clips. He is even scamming crowd-funding money for his next "project" because everyone in Hollywood has lost confidence in him; particularly in his scriptwriting skills.

He would definitely take a directing offer from Disney (and the millions of $ that would come with it). I think this definitely qualifies as Mr. Blomkamp being in a desperate position. He even admitted Chappie destroyed his career.

SM

When did he say that?

Alionic

I don't even know why I have to do this when Google is available, but whatever.

Quote from: BlomkampWe could go on for hours about Chappie and where it sits. But it definitely hurt several parts of my career, I think.

SM

So he didn't say "destroyed".

Thanks.

Alionic

SM is the most consistent contrarian on this board with a fetish for semantics, I'll admit.

SM

I'm sure Scorpio would take issue with the 'contrarian' accusation.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 21, 2018, 11:25:55 PM
SM is the most consistent contrarian on this board with a fetish for semantics, I'll admit.

He is a senior librarian

SM

That's MISTER Senior Librarian to you!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed