Alien: Harvest - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 23, 2019, 07:20:15 PM

Author
Alien: Harvest - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films (Read 20,584 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Night Shift's awful, the attacking newborn Alien is laughable as is the acting and direction. The contrivance of the gunshot. Ugh. The idea it's superior to Alone or any other short is beyond my perception. Predictable and dull.

Containment and Harvest are, nearly exchangeable, both erratic and a lil' silly, each with a beautiful opening and nothing really of substance.
Spoiler
Containment's fourth place though, superior acting and restraint.
[close]

The top three contenders are,
Specimen, Ore and Alone.
Although I believe people are being a tad harsh on all of them. Myself included.

A beta male

A beta male

Well done. :)  :)  :) 

SiL

Specimen
Alone
Ore
Night Shift
Harvest
Containment

The only reason Harvest doesn't crash to the bottom is it at least has an Alien in it. Considering the films were meant to elicit the feel of Alien, it is the only one which singularly failed to grasp anything about what made that movie work.

Monster Man

Monster Man

Congratz to the main lady with the scanner for looking so damn off-putting that the ending makes perfect sense.

Spoiler
Speaking of that ending, I love it when things like this end on a more horrifying note. We gotta have more endings like this, but all the time so as to preserve that feeling.
[close]

D88M

It sucked. How surprising.

bacchus

My review..

By far the best looking, most cinematic and technically polished of all of the shorts. Everything from the set design and lighting to the colour grading and camera work was very well done, and really the technical standard I expected for all of the shorts. This is the only one that really made the grade in all of those fronts.

The script and performances were far from reaching those heights though. I liked that we joined the action straight away as if we were viewing the final minutes of a feature. However, not sure about that ending – it seemed as if she intentionally trapped the other two in the escape pod (judging by the grin on her face), but the story until then didn't really provide any reason or foundation for her to act that way and was just a semi-twist for the sake of it.

Given the budget, I thought the Xeno effects were very good, but once again budget limitations meant they had to be creative with the editing to give it as brief an appearance as possible.

Overall, technically the best of the shorts (by some distance), but the script left a lot to be desired.

6/10

My final scores for the shorts..

Specimen - 8.5/10
Alone - 6/10
Harvest - 6/10
Ore - 5.5/10
Night Shift - 4.5/10
Containment - 3/10

The Old One

The Old One

One of the three worst, but pleased by all of them above this one to various degrees.

SiL

The editing and the ending are just...

Why.

Xenomorphine

Great visuals. Sort of WTF at how the Alien was somehow fended off. Got confusing at the end.

Huggs

That's how you do it baby!

Outfu**in standing!!!

The Old One

The Old One

New thread idea:

Egg on November

0321recon

Quote from: The Old One on Apr 27, 2019, 04:35:00 AM
New thread idea:

Egg on November

build theories how the magical egg got into the transport and such lol!

The Old One

The Old One

Exactly, the real movie magic.

Huggs

The answer is as clear as it always was.

The synthetic did it.

The Old One

The Old One

lol. The aforementioned short film's? Sure.
The ridiculous evil smile confirmed it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed