Noah Hawley's Alien is gearing up for production

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 12, 2023, 08:38:37 PM

Author
Noah Hawley's Alien is gearing up for production (Read 16,732 times)

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 11, 2023, 09:44:59 PMOn the other hand, our first look at the engineer in Prometheus wasn't it dual wielding katanas, facing off against a hissing Alien.

Excuse me, what dual wielding katanas, where?

[cancerblack]

Concept art thread.

skhellter

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 11, 2023, 09:44:59 PMOn the other hand, our first look at the engineer in Prometheus wasn't it dual wielding katanas, facing off against a hissing Alien.

i don't think Hawley knew that this would be our first look at Wendy.. via a leak in a forum.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 11, 2023, 11:35:01 PMConcept art thread.

Ok, thanks. Learned now also it will take place before Alien or even Prometheus.

Quote from: RIP77 on May 11, 2023, 09:15:17 PMThe context is important.

Focus is important.

Saying that because Wendy is superhuman it will be a superhero/action series is like saying that because in Prometheus  engineers two meters  came out with super strength, muscles the movie would be a superhero movie and not what it was.

This series will have various approaches and genres and Noah has described it as a cold war thriller as well as action, pure horror.

But just because there's a character like Wendy doesn't mean this is one of Alita-type superheroes or martial arts.

Ex-Machina has a female character as well and the movie is not ridiculous action or superheroes but a serious and terrifying thriller.

The character is as he is but the series will be as it will be and we still don't know.

District9 and Transformers have in common but it is radically different.
The Lord of the Rings has in common with The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power but is very different.
Batman and Robin has in common with The Batman but is very different.
Aliens has in common with Alien 4 (there are aliens...) but it is very different.

Yes, in this new Noah series it seems that Wendy is superhuman with super strength but then you have to see the execution, narrative, context In your head you imagine the worst scenario believing that it will be like Transformers  or Residents Evil movies ( Wendy like Alice) with a thousand exaggerated fights but that this element exists, Wendy does not mean that the series is like that in the examples that I gave, the key is the final result, not the premise and even less the premise of your imagination that is put in the worst scenario.

That there is a character like Wendy can be positive if they touch on themes like Blade Runner, Ghost in the shell, Ex-Machine too. More sober, elegant, adult than blockbuster Disney or Marvel.

In Blade Runner 2049 there were replicants with super strength, more budget, more fx than Blade Runner 82 but the movie is not an action movie, it is not a typical blockbusters and the combats are more minimalist and content putting the characters, narrative above the combats .

Before the premiere, it was doubtful ( the people in general )  whether Villeneuve would put in as much action  comercial as he seemed in the trailer with those characters with big force , but in the end it didn't happen, not as people imagined for the worse.

The president of Fx has said that it will be a reinvention, expansion in the Noah style but also pure Alien.

The actress hired on Instagram uploaded a story with those statements.

This series will anger and the movie in theory will be more faithful to the classic formula. Eso lo entiendo y ese es el plan con dos productos Alien tan diferentes el mismo año o cerca. Saga Alien is dead , never was perfect saga. Alien4, Prometheus ( love this movie) ,Covenant, AVP1,2...

Now i  want risk too. No only "remake" Alien of fede with similar style.

That is why in PREY the protagonist was criticized before seeing her and then  liked her character.

prejudices of old fans.

But the angry fan's imagination is overblown with a character like Wendy. In the Alien universe there may be such a character and the how is more important than the what.

My opinion. Comment optimist of course, i accept this.

I respectfully disagree, this will be worse than any Transformers or Transmorphers movie.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: skhellter on May 11, 2023, 11:49:52 PM

i don't think Hawley knew that this would be our first look at Wendy.. via a leak in a forum.

I can't say that that makes much difference.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 11, 2023, 11:48:45 AM
Quote from: Bojo on May 10, 2023, 09:51:16 PMGetting slight Major from Ghost in the shell vibes.

Hopefully that's roughly what it turns out like.

Sounds like they are still planning on filming in Thailand according to @Corporal Hicks. Can't imagine tropical beaches with palm trees in an Alien setting but Bangkok has some seriously cyberpunk/GITS looking areas.

Quote from: skhellter on May 11, 2023, 11:49:52 PM

Wasn't that concept art intentionally given to AVP Galaxy?

Corporal Hicks

It was not.

SiL

Quote from: RIP77 on May 11, 2023, 09:15:17 PMSaying that because Wendy is superhuman it will be a superhero/action series is like saying that because in Prometheus  engineers two meters  came out with super strength, muscles the movie would be a superhero movie and not what it was.
Except the Engineers are villains and bigger, badder bad guys in successive instalments is pretty normal. It's not the same at all.

Simply_Kevin

I think knowing about the endgame for the main character has ruined any possibility of a slow paced balanced character arc. Everyone who read about it already knows where it leads to and everyone is jumping to conclusions. Chill out, guys! It's a series, not a movie. It has enough time to develop concepts. Conceptual art is not final product. It's not even vetted by the cinematographer! Many things change on set, lines and scenes can be re-written on the spot, then there's editing and soundtrack... And to be fair, giving synthetics more depth isn't something new. It wasn't Prometheus which pioneered that. It was Resurrection with Cal, who was a new type of synthetic made by other synthetics, that took part in a revolution (hello, Blade Runner). I know that movie isn't great, but it has many nice ideas.

reecebomb

I'm willing to give this series a chance only if it manifestly states that the story doesn't take place in the same universe as Alien, Aliens, Alien 3.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Simply_Kevin on May 12, 2023, 12:49:30 PMIt was Resurrection with Cal, who was a new type of synthetic made by other synthetics,

The new asshole model they were putting out?

Quote from: RIP77 on May 11, 2023, 09:15:17 PMSaying that because Wendy is superhuman it will be a superhero/action series is like saying that because in Prometheus  engineers two meters  came out with super strength, muscles the movie would be a superhero movie and not what it was.

The engineers were supposed to be big because they are supposed to be the space jockeys from the first film.

The engineers were actually widely lambasted on here for being too small compared to the original space jockey.

Their strength also appears to be consistent with their size and therefore realistic.

TC

Quote from: reecebomb on May 12, 2023, 01:52:36 PMI'm willing to give this series a chance only if it manifestly states that the story doesn't take place in the same universe as Alien, Aliens, Alien 3.

If some new writer wants to riff on a well-known franchise because they think they have an interesting take on the material (and I have no problem with this), sometimes the respectful thing to do is make it plain that what they have is an alt-universe story, like a (hard) reboot. But the temptation is not to do so because the lore and canon of the original is usually the biggest selling point of any long-standing franchise, and they naturally want to lure in that ready-made audience.

The way I see it, Aliens was the result of Cameron riffing on Alien. It worked because (among other things) sci-fi action-horror is a close match to sci-fi suspense-horror. A big franchise is like a complete genre all on its own, and Aliens didn't jump outside the Alientm genre, whereas Ghost in the Shell-Alien probably does (just like I feel happened with Prometheus). With Aliens some of the tone changed, but the lore and canon remained intact. At least, it did until the Quadrilogy version of Alien showed us the egg-morphing. But by then it was too late, the fans had already given Aliens the nod of approval way back in 1986  :). Plus, Aliens was a good storytelling and that always helps. Maybe the same will apply with Hawley.

TC

RIP77

RIP77

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 12, 2023, 01:58:12 PM
Quote from: Simply_Kevin on May 12, 2023, 12:49:30 PMIt was Resurrection with Cal, who was a new type of synthetic made by other synthetics,

The new asshole model they were putting out?

The engineers were supposed to be big because they are supposed to be the space jockeys from the first film.

The engineers were actually widely lambasted on here for being too small compared to the original space jockey.

Their strength also appears to be consistent with their size and therefore realistic.

Yes. I don't criticize the engineers.

I'm just saying that they could put more commercial action for being the way they are.And  not have liked in one of Alien something like that

With Wendy they can put action  like to the RE movies for example style Alice or they can be more minimalist and contained even with super strength as with the Engineer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed