Noah Hawley's Alien is gearing up for production

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Jan 12, 2023, 08:38:37 PM

Author
Noah Hawley's Alien is gearing up for production (Read 16,721 times)

nanison

So this Wendy is nothing more than a superhero with incredible strength, speed and agility. Boring, I was hoping the influence of superheros would be starting to diminish by now.
It is not going to be about aliens at all, they're just there to add a thread but it is all about those super hybrids probably.
A good aliens show should centre around the thread of the aliens, a survival show.

Rattlehed

Rattlehed

What nanison says . Survival / or marines show .

Veita

Veita

Imo this sounds extremely shallow and boring. Again the focus seems (at least until now) to be set on synthetics (or hybrids) instead of Xenomorphs. Hopefully I am wrong and we have to wait how the show will turn out but I am not hyped and I am not entertained by reading that character description.

nanison

We will see this Wendy beating aliens in hand to hand combat. I can already envision a parkour scene where she is being pursued by aliens as she jumps and runs and climbs her way out of their claws because she has the same agility and speed as the monster :o
First Cameron turned aliens into cannon fodder which was blasphemous but granted it also kicked ass, I love the film.  Now they will be out fought by a human hybrid, it is the next step in destroying an iconic monster.

SiL

@Local Trouble  it's  giving Deadliest of the Species vibes.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on May 10, 2023, 12:32:52 PM@Local Trouble  it's  giving Deadliest of the Species vibes.

But I don't understand DotS!

[cancerblack]

Neither did the author.

Bojo

Getting slight Major from Ghost in the shell vibes.

DangerStranger

DangerStranger

Still clinging to the hope this series gets cancelled somehow together with that romulus thing.

reecebomb

reecebomb

You know what would make Alien relatable and scary again - having a protagonist that has superhero characteristics.
Though this has been kinda done already with Ripley 8 (and perhaps David) - didn't work. Super strength, speed, and agility combined with the limitless courage of a young mind - f**king hell.

Amazing how clueless the current crop of writers/filmmakers are that have somehow managed to get their hands on Alien franchise. Should have let AI write it at this point. Only reason why I keep checking Alien related news is nothing but morbid curiosity.

skhellter

Wendy is the co-lead. The other lead is just a random regular human medic.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Bojo on May 10, 2023, 09:51:16 PMGetting slight Major from Ghost in the shell vibes.

Hopefully that's roughly what it turns out like.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 11, 2023, 11:48:45 AMHopefully that's roughly what it turns out like.

Earth is a terrible setting for Alien story to take place but with the same attention to detail and gritty analog feel of GITS 1995 would be incredible and quite fitting for Alien (as is Blade Runner). But let's be real, this will have the same artificial and sterile world that most streaming era sci-fi/fantasy is plagued with.

Come to think of it, GITS 2017 was pretty decent visually. Of course it didn't exactly escape the digital sheen and somehow the anime looked more realistic, it was still decent.

RIP77

RIP77

The context is important.

Focus is important.

Saying that because Wendy is superhuman it will be a superhero/action series is like saying that because in Prometheus  engineers two meters  came out with super strength, muscles the movie would be a superhero movie and not what it was.

This series will have various approaches and genres and Noah has described it as a cold war thriller as well as action, pure horror.

But just because there's a character like Wendy doesn't mean this is one of Alita-type superheroes or martial arts.

Ex-Machina has a female character as well and the movie is not ridiculous action or superheroes but a serious and terrifying thriller.

The character is as he is but the series will be as it will be and we still don't know.

District9 and Transformers have in common but it is radically different.
The Lord of the Rings has in common with The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power but is very different.
Batman and Robin has in common with The Batman but is very different.
Aliens has in common with Alien 4 (there are aliens...) but it is very different.

Yes, in this new Noah series it seems that Wendy is superhuman with super strength but then you have to see the execution, narrative, context In your head you imagine the worst scenario believing that it will be like Transformers  or Residents Evil movies ( Wendy like Alice) with a thousand exaggerated fights but that this element exists, Wendy does not mean that the series is like that in the examples that I gave, the key is the final result, not the premise and even less the premise of your imagination that is put in the worst scenario.

That there is a character like Wendy can be positive if they touch on themes like Blade Runner, Ghost in the shell, Ex-Machine too. More sober, elegant, adult than blockbuster Disney or Marvel.

In Blade Runner 2049 there were replicants with super strength, more budget, more fx than Blade Runner 82 but the movie is not an action movie, it is not a typical blockbusters and the combats are more minimalist and content putting the characters, narrative above the combats .

Before the premiere, it was doubtful ( the people in general )  whether Villeneuve would put in as much action  comercial as he seemed in the trailer with those characters with big force , but in the end it didn't happen, not as people imagined for the worse.

The president of Fx has said that it will be a reinvention, expansion in the Noah style but also pure Alien.

The actress hired on Instagram uploaded a story with those statements.

This series will anger and the movie in theory will be more faithful to the classic formula. Eso lo entiendo y ese es el plan con dos productos Alien tan diferentes el mismo año o cerca. Saga Alien is dead , never was perfect saga. Alien4, Prometheus ( love this movie) ,Covenant, AVP1,2...

Now i  want risk too. No only "remake" Alien of fede with similar style.

That is why in PREY the protagonist was criticized before seeing her and then  liked her character.

prejudices of old fans.

But the angry fan's imagination is overblown with a character like Wendy. In the Alien universe there may be such a character and the how is more important than the what.

My opinion. Comment optimist of course, i accept this.

[cancerblack]

On the other hand, our first look at the engineer in Prometheus wasn't it dual wielding katanas, facing off against a hissing Alien.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed