Anna's missing cameo in PREDATOR 2.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Apr 23, 2019, 04:00:58 PM

Author
Anna's missing cameo in PREDATOR 2. (Read 4,333 times)

Voodoo Magic

SuperiorIronman

Yeah, I remember she made a cameo in Predator 2 but in regards to where that footage is.., I have no idea.

Like a lot of things associated with Predator 2, there just isn't that much left over from its creation that I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up like the Lost Hunters. I don't know who would still have the footage either seeing as its been a 28-29 years since the movie came out. Fox might still have it, but almost 3 decades later? Predator was important to them, but I doubt they'd hang onto what amounts to a cameo.

Now somebody could simply ask Elpidia Carrillo what she said in the cameo, but it's been decades since that cameo was shot so her memory might be hazy.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 23, 2019, 05:47:57 PMI don't know who would still have the footage either seeing as its been a 28-29 years since the movie came out. Fox might still have it, but almost 3 decades later? Predator was important to them, but I doubt they'd hang onto what amounts to a cameo.

Fox held on to plenty of cut footage from Alien, keeping it secure enough that Scott was able to put together the Director's Cut almost 25 years later. And just look how much of the deleted Alien 3 footage they kept. There's not really any reason to think they haven't still got some Predator 2 stuff.

Not to mention they must have some footage somewhere, because a behind the scenes clip of the deleted Danny funeral scene cropped up in the documentary on the two-disc DVD.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 23, 2019, 06:18:12 PM
Fox held on to plenty of cut footage from Alien, keeping it secure enough that Scott was able to put together the Director's Cut almost 25 years later. And just look how much of the deleted Alien 3 footage they kept. There's not really any reason to think they haven't still got some Predator 2 stuff.

Not to mention they must have some footage somewhere, because a behind the scenes clip of the deleted Danny funeral scene cropped up in the documentary on the two-disc DVD.

Agreed. Alien3 is a great example. Actually even, there has been a lot of restored footage out there that have made their way into director cuts for movies that, quite frankly, are surprising got the attention in the first place.

But for the record I'm not looking for a director's cut of P2. I think it's perfect as is. But seeing some deleted scenes would be great. For example I believe I'm recollecting correctly that King Willie's transition from the living to a trophy was quite longer, including better shots of the City Hunter's "work shop" on the ship as well as the trophy wall. I would love to see that.  :)

SuperiorIronman

In regards to King Willie, I'm pretty sure the workshop was the table in front of the trophy wall itself. During the "cleaning" sequence we can see one of the trophy wall skulls in the background (the one on the top right). So the recessed area King Willie's skull is sitting in is one of the recessed areas of the trophy wall table. The tube that's sucking away the blood and gooey bits still there is also extending in front of that skull as well. Based on that shot of City Hunter walking away with King Willie's head, we can also see a bit of the ship and with the image of City Hunter holding the head, it's probably from a take of the "cleaning" sequence.

I say all that because it seems they did use the interior ship set for that sequence. It would also explain another image of KPH on that set in the City Hunter suit seeing as he was on that set for the end but as Greyback. So I'd say the workshop and trophy cabinet are the same location.

Also something which I'm not sure is accurate or not but in piecing that together I noticed we have two bloody skulls in Predator 2; King Willie's and Jerry Lambert's. King Willie's jaw is also noticeably hidden from view and Jerry's skull lacks it entirely, but when Willie's is put into the cabinet it has one. I'm thinking they simply reused the bloody skull for both shots and used a low angle to hide the lack of jaw and inclusion of spine. Since it seems the skulls are identical across the board save the bloody one, there might not be an extended "cleaning" but an effective reusing of props.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Apr 23, 2019, 09:15:19 PM
I say all that because it seems they did use the interior ship set for that sequence.

Yep. I never said that was a missing scene, but rather an extension of that scene, as in a recollection that "King Willie's transition from the living to a trophy was quite longer, including better shots of the City Hunter's "work shop" on the ship as well as the trophy wall."

For example, in the third draft of the script it indicates that's the very scene we see the City Hunter's face for the first time, albiet briefly, in profile, as it removes its helmet. The City Hunter also finds King Willie's dreads interesting, which makes sense considering the similarities to their own. Stephen Hopkins also revealed in one of the docs that the King Willie trophy sequence was originally supposed to reveal the Alien head for the first time, not at the end of the movie.

There are more substantial deleted scenes out there like Danny's funeral or Leona's husband and her birthday party, sure, but I would love to see what was left out of the King Willie cleaning, however slight it might be.  :)

Elmazalman

Interesting thread. I would like to see an extended edit. I like this film almost as much as the original.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Elmazalman on Apr 24, 2019, 01:06:15 AM
Interesting thread. I would like to see an extended edit. I like this film almost as much as the original.

The first two Predator films are such wonderful companion films. I've never seen a contrast so unique in a film and its first sequel ultimately work so well together.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 24, 2019, 03:46:34 AM

The first two Predator films are such wonderful companion films. I've never seen a contrast so unique in a film and its first sequel ultimately work so well together.
Agreed - like ALIEN & ALIENS.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Elmazalman on Apr 24, 2019, 06:19:17 AM

Agreed - like ALIEN & ALIENS.

My vernacular may be incorrect or I might just be painfully too literal here, and it wouldn't be the first time :) , but I'm actually going to disagree with Alien and Aliens as a comparison in the above context.

I take a companion film, or any companion piece of fiction, as an independent story that exists in the same fictional world as another, and compliments one another. It doesn't continue a particular storyline or feature the same main character. If you're familiar with American television, think Cheers and Frasier. Now companion pieces also usually feature a background character from the original story as the main character in the new companion piece, but not Predator 2.

What's really unique about Predator 2 is it ultimately features no returning characters, not even the Predator itself. You add that to the contrast between the two films and their world being so vast and unique; present to future, military to detective, jungle to city; and I'm surprised they are still such fantastic same world companions to one another. :)

Even though assumptions get me into trouble, coming back to the wonderful 1-2 punch that is Alien and Aliens, I'm guessing when I said "I've never seen a contrast so unique in a film and its first sequel ultimately work so well together", the sci-fi horror contrast to sci-fi action horror of Alien to Aliens came to mind?

I might be in the minority but I actually see that as a natural progression versus a unique contrast in my humble opinion. So many horror films and sci-fi horror films already feature finales that are, for a lack of a better word, actioney to begin with and Alien was no different. The path felt very organic to me.  :)

* edit for spelling

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 24, 2019, 01:50:51 PMWhat's really unique about Predator 2 is it ultimately features no returning characters...

...except Anna :P

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 24, 2019, 02:58:53 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 24, 2019, 01:50:51 PMWhat's really unique about Predator 2 is it ultimately features no returning characters...

...except Anna :P

:laugh:

You would think Anna deserved at the very least a few seconds long appearance on one of those background monitors, but she didn't even get that! They flashed her away quick. And for that tiny blip, she got a paycheck and actor credit!

Elmazalman

Do you think the lab boys (and girls) may have taken Anna's clothes away and found alien DNA from the blood she wiped on her pants?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Elmazalman on Apr 24, 2019, 08:03:22 PM
Do you think the lab boys (and girls) may have taken Anna's clothes away and found alien DNA from the blood she wiped on her pants?

You know I never thought of that. That's brilliant. Yeah I'm certain they would have done that.

Huntsman

Which is why I find the other films so expendable.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed