Alien: Solara - New Audio Drama!

Started by Anarchist86ed, Jan 28, 2018, 07:12:41 PM

Author
Alien: Solara - New Audio Drama! (Read 88,339 times)

Corporal Hicks

You'll enjoy it! They're all feel authentic. The sound engineering is superb.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 04, 2018, 07:18:50 AM
You'll enjoy it! They're all feel authentic. The sound engineering is superb.

Already up to Part 4 and half way through. This is so well made - at times on par with those official Audible dramatisations adaptions.

Really love how
Spoiler
Dr Church
[close]
is in this and all those other great easter eggs throughout. Brilliant!!!

Anarchist86ed

Thanks. Two people like us. We're moving up!

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Anarchist86ed on Oct 04, 2018, 02:58:51 PM
Thanks. Two people like us. We're moving up!

;D It's great and now I'm hanging out for part 5.

Anarchist86ed

I need a break, so part 5 isn't coming all that soon. Making 4 of them plus the specials with absolutely no reward whatsoever is kinda taxing.

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Anarchist86ed on Oct 06, 2018, 02:49:51 PM
I need a break, so part 5 isn't coming all that soon. Making 4 of them plus the specials with absolutely no reward whatsoever is kinda taxing.

Isn't the work itself its own reward?

Anarchist86ed

Anarchist86ed

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 06, 2018, 04:26:21 PM

Sure. Let's go with that.  ;D

By reward I don't mean money. We couldn't do it anyway, and we wouldn't get one single penny. For example, there's this other series I listened to with one person doing the voices. Horrible audio quality and horrendous editing and they have far more twitter followers and get mentioned constantly and praised. I listen to pig squeals for hours on end with my tinnitus and can't get a single like on twitter. Seriously, it really, really hurts to even make these and honestly I had to stop using ear phones and sometimes the leveling of audio suffers because of it. Doing the xenomorphs with earphones on wasn't fun, so I didn't.

Safe to say it's kind of a waste of time, honestly, but the cast is having fun doing it and at least we now have 2 confirmed fans. All I wanted going in was to gain an audience and tell a story. Never once did I ever expect to gain anything from it, in fact I've told my cast to use it to promote themselves and get what they can from it. All I hope to ever get is no cease and desist from a mouse.  ::)

But there will be a part 5. And 6. And 7. And... I dunno after that.

Our spinoff "Charon" will come out before part 5. So will "The Captain", another of our short episodes.

Perfect-Organism

So I just downloaded and listened to everything all at once.  Really fantastic work.  Super well timed humour too!  I hope the team gets an opportunity to do an licensed project out of this.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteAll I wanted going in was to gain an audience and tell a story.

Okay, so then it hasn't been a waste of time. You're getting front page promotion of your work on this site's front page, for free, each time you release a new episode. And people are engaging with it and appreciating it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Anarchist86ed on Oct 06, 2018, 05:55:54 PM
Safe to say it's kind of a waste of time, honestly, but the cast is having fun doing it and at least we now have 2 confirmed fans. All I wanted going in was to gain an audience and tell a story. Never once did I ever expect to gain anything from it, in fact I've told my cast to use it to promote themselves and get what they can from it. All I hope to ever get is no cease and desist from a mouse.  ::)

At the end of the day, if you and yours are enjoying putting it together, then it's not a waste of time. If you don't enjoy it then that's a different story. I know it can be disheartening to put lots of effort into something and not get much in the way of response - and I really do know what that feels like - but if you're proud with what you've done then that's what matters. And you have every reason to be proud.

If you want to reach more people then you or someone has to start pushing the advertising. I think you need a website with a release/listening order that is easy to follow. I think you need to start pushing the Twitter - and with more than just episode releases. Alien pictures, hashtags, previews etc. You need to get yourself on a Facebook page and push it to the active groups. You might not like socials but that's where most attention comes from these days.

It took me far too long to realise how important social media was and to put them to use purely because I disliked social media. This shit takes work on top of the work you're doing. And it's not an instant thing.

AhabPredator

By reward I don't mean money. We couldn't do it anyway, and we wouldn't get one single penny. For example, there's this other series I listened to with one person doing the voices. Horrible audio quality and horrendous editing and they have far more twitter followers and get mentioned constantly and praised. I listen to pig squeals for hours on end with my tinnitus and can't get a single like on twitter. Seriously, it really, really hurts to even make these and honestly I had to stop using ear phones and sometimes the leveling of audio suffers because of it. Doing the xenomorphs with earphones on wasn't fun, so I didn't.

Our spinoff "Charon" will come out before part 5. So will "The Captain", another of our short episodes.

Could be worse. At least people leave feedback and comments here. There are some of us who have posted projects here that are lucky to get a single comment. So at the end of the day, the only one you can do it for is you. Luckily yours is a group coordinated effort. Some of us do our projects solo. Working with multiple mediums; such as photography, photoshop editing, story writing, etc.

Appreciate and love your work. Do it for you. Don't do it for anyone else. And you do great work! Most people never get past the conceptual phase. You have managed that and more!

Prez

Prez

Completely understand. Know that I'm truly grateful for all the hard work you've (and others) have put in.

I think Solara would be fantastic as a comic book adaptation... ahem hey Dark Horse ;-)

Anarchist86ed

Anarchist86ed

Quote from: Hudson on Oct 07, 2018, 04:37:17 AM
QuoteAll I wanted going in was to gain an audience and tell a story.

Okay, so then it hasn't been a waste of time. You're getting front page promotion of your work on this site's front page, for free, each time you release a new episode. And people are engaging with it and appreciating it.

And the Corporal is awesome for that. We're grateful. But the reality is even with YouTube I get maybe 50 views, sometimes less. My 700 or so subs never click, never comment. The first part got over a thousand views, thanks to the Corporal, but after that we crashed, like I expected. I could put 3 am in the tags and title the video "we went looking for xenomorphs at 3 am and we all got killed! (Gone wrong!!) And still wouldn't get any views.  :laugh: yes, that's a thing on YouTube, look it up. It's garbage.

Of course it better be free, my broke ass couldn't even afford to get river of pain to use some of its audio for Deckard.  ;D

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 07, 2018, 09:44:40 AM

At the end of the day, if you and yours are enjoying putting it together, than it's not a waste of time. If you don't enjoy it then that's a different story. I know it can be disheartening to put lots of effort into something and not get much in the way of response - and I really do know what that feels like - but if you're proud with what you've done then that's what matters.

If you want to reach more people then you or someone has to start pushing the advertising. I think you need a website with a release/listening order that is easy to follow. I think you need to start pushing the Twitter - and with more than just episode releases. Alien pictures, hashtags, previews etc. You need to get yourself on a Facebook page and push it to the active groups. You might not like socials but that's where most attention comes from these days.

It took me far too long to realise how important social media was and to put them to use purely because I disliked social media. This shit takes work on top of the work you're doing. And it's not an instant thing.

I enjoy it, till I'm sick of it. Listening to it over and over and over and over again gets on the nerves. 4 was not that much fun to make. It was originally way shorter because of cast real life issues, then Ryan sent his stuff in one day before I was going to release it, which is why chief and Ramirez are post credits.

I push it everywhere I can, but we get buried less than a day after I post, and no one scrolls down anymore. But as I said, the least effort always gets the attention. Trust me on that.

Stephanie said the same thing about a website, I tried making one but gave up. It sucked. I might try again.

While I'm proud of the work, I also hate it because it can be better. As I said, it hurts to make these, and I just can't handle working with earphones to do it, so there are lots of things I don't like when I listen back. But it will all get fixed when I combine it all to one long presentation. Every time I listen back I hear some embarrassing thing I didn't fix because I didn't listen with headphones or earphones. Like when Ramirez says she hates planets, it's way too loud.  ::)

But the cast, mostly, are always enthusiastic. Graham is WAY too perfectionist. Doing the sing along in dead rock was a pain in the ass, I wanted to tell him it was fine, only 20 people would ever listen to it anyway. But he's a Broadway performer and it's an honor to have him.

Every week I spend all day on the #AudioDramaSunday hashtag on Twitter promoting. Last week during release, I think I got one like outside of AJ's enthusiastic hearting. Man was that crushing after all that work and not a single comment or heart. But I knew that going in.

Then I was told in a private message to stop promoting, more popular projects didn't appreciate it.  >:( I won't say how I responded.

There's a difference between us and them. We don't ask for money. Don't put our work behind a paywall like some do. And we never get snotty with people who listen, unlike some of the people out there. We don't push agendas, like more and more peoplw who do this are. We're just trying to tell stories, not beg for money and make every character "queer". We're here to chew bubble gum and kick ass. But I'm all out of bubble gum and my feet hurt.  ;D

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Oct 07, 2018, 11:13:25 AM

Could be worse. At least people leave feedback and comments here. There are some of us who have posted projects here that are lucky to get a single comment. So at the end of the day, the only one you can do it for is you. Luckily yours is a group coordinated effort. Some of us do our projects solo. Working with multiple mediums; such as photography, photoshop editing, story writing, etc.

Appreciate and love your work. Do it for you. Don't do it for anyone else. And you do great work! Most people never get past the conceptual phase. You have managed that and more!

True enough, but I think I'm 95% of the comments here. Which means I should shut up.  :D

Quote from: Prez on Oct 07, 2018, 11:33:28 AM

Completely understand. Know that I'm truly grateful for all the hard work you've (and others) have put in.

I think Solara would be fantastic as a comic book adaptation... ahem hey Dark Horse ;-)

We tried to enter the fox fan film thing, but the people I talked to about making it were a tad on the shady side, so I never sent a pitch in.

But, if any artists are out there, hit me up and we'll talk.

Perfect-Organism

The benefits of what you are doing may be instantaneous, or they may take a long time to be felt.  There's no way to tell.  But you definitely now have an awesome body of work that nobody can take away from you.

Famous business book author Jim Collins once wrote in his book, Good to Great, about the "Flywheel Effect".  A flywheel takes a lot of effort to get going, but once it catches, it is hard to stop.  It's about building momentum through a series of repeated, seemingly small pushes.  They all have an effect.  I can tell you that you definitely have momentum.  It's been a steady build-up.  Now you just have to figure a way to promote it right.

Anarchist86ed

Well, we've been doing it almost a year. Just like my white privilege, it sure is taking a long time to kick in.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed