Best pic of an Alien

Started by War Wager, Sep 19, 2007, 05:58:14 PM

Author
Best pic of an Alien (Read 1,609,968 times)

H.r.giger fan

H.r.giger fan

compare the aliens closely they have changed a lot in the second movie and not even that but they change it's behaviour.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: SiL on Sep 25, 2007, 08:39:50 PM
Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 25, 2007, 01:18:57 PM
Show me a guy who stands up like that, and I will show you a guy with joint and spine deformities.
The Alien doesn't stand up like that naturally either. It's striking a pose just like a person would, and it's not exactly a pose any person couldn't do.

True, it's physically possible, but unlike the man-in-suit aliens we see in the first two films, it's not just standing up straight like any other guy, albeit one who happens to be wearing a costume.  And I appreciate and respect the fact that the actor/CGI artist is trying to make the Alien pose in a fashion that is not NORMAL, not traditionally humanoid.  No person would NATURALLY stand like that.  Yes, it's a pose; and thank god for that, better to pose than to just stand and walk like a dude in a suit.

It's funny how everybody complains about the CGI aliens, yet everyone complains about the suit aliens too.  Basically nobody is going to be happy, ever.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

It's not whether its CGI or suit.....its the way they're done.

People complain because they dont like the way the alien stands and it is alays standing differently in each film. A simple soluution to this would be to have aliens mostly in the dshadows.......remember thiose days?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 26, 2007, 03:58:10 PM
And I appreciate and respect the fact that the actor/CGI artist is trying to make the Alien pose in a fashion that is not NORMAL, not traditionally humanoid.
It's only not 'traditionally humanoid' in that it looks like it's trying to do a bad chicken impersonation. A really abnormal pose would be something a human just physically couldn't do; six year olds do this on a regular basis.

QuoteNo person would NATURALLY stand like that.
Neither does the Alien. Get it out of that pose and it still looks like a humanoid.

Quotebetter to pose than to just stand and walk like a dude in a suit.
How many people do you know glide across the floor with no lower body movement?

QuoteIt's funny how everybody complains about the CGI aliens, yet everyone complains about the suit aliens too.  Basically nobody is going to be happy, ever.
Maybe it's because we just think that design is shit, be it realised by computer, animatronic or man in suit. Ever think of that? ???

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: SiL on Sep 26, 2007, 08:49:50 PMMaybe it's because we just think that design is shit, be it realised by computer, animatronic or man in suit. Ever think of that? ???

I'm referring to the fact that different people will bitch about every single suit and every single CG/puppet/whatever in every single movie to date.  So no, I did not consider the possibility that these people HATE THE ENTIRE ALIEN DESIGN as a viable option, but perhaps I should.  Depressing and illogical though it may seem, it actually makes the most sense out of any explanation I've considered.

SiL

SiL

There are two Alien fans when it comes to design.

Those that like their Aliens as actual alien organisms, unique and scary and f**ked up. Something we've never seen before, something different. They like the first two designs most.

Then you've got those that like their Aliens as walking shits with a slightly mean temperament that looks sort of like it's trying to be the Alien, but clearly belongs in a ripoff somewhere back in the 80s. They like the AR/AvP design.

The third design is a mixed bag.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: SiL on Sep 26, 2007, 09:17:21 PM
There are two Alien fans when it comes to design.

Those that like their Aliens as actual alien organisms, unique and scary and f**ked up. Something we've never seen before, something different. They like the first two designs most.

Then you've got those that like their Aliens as walking shits with a slightly mean temperament that looks sort of like it's trying to be the Alien, but clearly belongs in a ripoff somewhere back in the 80s. They like the AR/AvP design.

The third design is a mixed bag.

Or maybe everybody wants the first one, but defines what that entails differently, and your opinion isn't gospel law?  Something to consider.  Although consideration is not a prerequisite of making it true.

I mean, you seem to think that the pose in the photo of debate looks like something any kid could do, yet somehow you also don't seem to believe that any kid couldn't just move smoothly across a screen if you didn't see his/her legs scooting along out of frame.  Which they could.  So to me, that's even more unimpressive, because anybody can appear to "glide" from the waist-up.  Now, show me somebody who can seem to smoothly glide from the KNEES up, and we're going somewhere.

By the way, you left out the "Cameron ruined the Alien!  Only the first and third movies had decent designs!" people.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 26, 2007, 09:52:48 PMyet somehow you also don't seem to believe that any kid couldn't just move smoothly across a screen if you didn't see his/her legs scooting along out of frame.
But if his/her legs were scooting along out of frame, there'd still be signs of it. Of course a person can do it, because obviously it's a guy in a suit, but it's a far more alien movement than anything the later designs did.

Quotethat's even more unimpressive, because anybody can appear to "glide" from the waist-up.
It's not as easy as you're trying to make out. Try it some time - it takes a lot of muscular control to make your upper body not respond to the pulling and contracting of your legs. It's nowhere near as easy as striking a chicken pose.

Bishop2

Bishop2

What, you never did the ol' "taking the escalator behind the couch" gag? :) Besides, we barely see it "glide" for 2 seconds at most, at an incredibly slow pace; you could almost accomplish that minimal amount of travel just by LEANING through the movement.

As far as Alien 3's design goes, I'm quite fond of it.  I think it looks great; there are days when I waffle over and feel it's my favorite of the bunch.  However, the lack of tubes on the back does remove some of the otherworldly nature from the creature, and I do think it would've been even cooler to go with the more streamlined proposal that Giger sent them.  Although perhaps that one was illogical given its origins.  I mean, it's a cow/dog alien; it's not born from something naturally sleek like a puma.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Here a pic from a old magazine.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 26, 2007, 10:07:28 PM
What, you never did the ol' "taking the escalator behind the couch" gag? :)
Yes, and any idea how hard that is to make it look just right?

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Enough of this petty nonsense. ^^^^ Stop it!
The ALiens, for the most part, move just fine in most of the movies!

ENUFF says the Kuff!

SM

SM

QuoteLooks about right, actually.  He gots the snot-bubbles 'n everything.

Either that or... no second thoughts, I won't go there.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: SM on Sep 26, 2007, 10:47:10 PM
QuoteLooks about right, actually.  He gots the snot-bubbles 'n everything.

Either that or... no second thoughts, I won't go there.

lol! its breeding time!

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: The_Kuff on Sep 26, 2007, 10:19:21 PM
Enough of this petty nonsense. ^^^^ Stop it!
The ALiens, for the most part, move just fine in most of the movies!

ENUFF says the Kuff!

I would say that it is important to remember that, better or worse, an Alien always looks outstanding on-screen.  It's too great an original design to really screw up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed