Should the next Predator film be released in streaming or in theater?

Started by Cougerboy, Sep 14, 2022, 12:01:45 PM

Author
Should the next Predator film be released in streaming or in theater? (Read 7,046 times)

Cougerboy

Given the success of "Prey" on Hulu, I am curious to know, should the next Predator film be released in streaming or in theaters?

BlueMarsalis79

I think people would go see it but that depends upon the marketing and quality of the film, never underestimate the power of word of mouth.

Kailem

Theatre if only to get a Blu-ray out of it afterwards. It sucks having nothing for Prey.

Cosmic Incubation

I'll always want to see a theatre release.

Hopefully, if that were to happen, they would increase the budget and keep the same amount of creative control as Prey.

Prey should be a good springboard, and a reminder that this franchise still has legs and quality.

With all that, along with good marketing, I think a lot of people would go out for a theatre release!

Cougerboy

I personally prefer theater release first, then streaming/Blu-ray release.

SiL

Why not both?

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Sep 15, 2022, 01:12:13 AMWhy not both?

Release both in theaters and streaming at the same time? The problem is that it may hurt box office revenue. Legendary was not pleased with Warner Bros approach of releasing Godzilla vs Kong initially only on streamng. They had to sue WB to get a theater release for that film. Director Denis Villeneuve also slammed WB for a streaming and theater release at the same time for Dune.

SiL

Part of that was contracts tied to theatrical performance which were undermined by the dual release - the whole thrust of the problems with Black Widow behind the scenes.

Limited exclusive theatrical release then release on streaming. Let people watch the movie.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Sep 16, 2022, 01:23:18 AMPart of that was contracts tied to theatrical performance which were undermined by the dual release - the whole thrust of the problems with Black Widow behind the scenes.

Limited exclusive theatrical release then release on streaming. Let people watch the movie.

Well, WB burned their bridges with leading directors with that approach in any case. Not a very smart move in hindsight. But those directors also have a legitimate point besides contracts and apportioning revenue. Some films are made for the big screen. To have it go straight to streaming removes the theater-going experience audience could have had otherwise.

SiL

It was a bad idea to tie bonuses and future film deals to theatrical performance and then release on streaming, circumventing their Contractual obligations.

Some directors complain about movies on small screens but most are happy for their work to be seen.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Sep 16, 2022, 01:57:45 AMIt was a bad idea to tie bonuses and future film deals to theatrical performance and then release on streaming, circumventing their Contractual obligations.

Some directors complain about movies on small screens but most are happy for their work to be seen.

Maybe for Predator directors and Fox, especially if they are coming off a horrible sequel like the 2018 "The Predator". Although..."Prey" might restore some faith to the Disney executives of a potential theater release in the future.

But on the point about directors just happy for their work to be seen, not if you are a director of a caliber like Denis Vileneuve or Chris Nolan. Those A-list directors want their movies released in theaters. Good thing Nolan jumped ship to Universal from Warner Bros. In any case, WB is deep in the red now. New CEO David Zaslav discovered he inherited a big financial mess at WB due to the mismanagement from the prior decision makers at WB. The problems at WB goes way beyond just "Batgirl".  They are running short of cash.

SiL

Those are the "some directors" I meant, but it's wrong to say all A list directors are precious about theatre vs streaming.

Prey doing well on streaming is a great argument to keep releasing Predator movies to streaming. They weren't doing great in theatre.

Cougerboy

Quote from: SiL on Sep 16, 2022, 04:12:08 AMThose are the "some directors" I meant, but it's wrong to say all A list directors are precious about theatre vs streaming.

Prey doing well on streaming is a great argument to keep releasing Predator movies to streaming. They weren't doing great in theatre.

I don't know....how much box office revenue is Fox forsaking for streaming?

And I suspect quite a few A list diectors prefer theater release first...

SiL

What's one-off box office revenue to ongoing subscriptions? That's the new game. They don't want you to spend $15 on a ticket once or twice, then maybe another $20 on the blu-ray. They want you to pay $10 a month in perpetuity. There are less overheads, smaller marketing spends, and they don't have to split revenue with theatres and distributors.

Sure you can get a 30 day free trial, and if you know what you're doing you can get endless 30 day free trials, but the average punter is going to sign up for the free trial, forget to cancel, and get hit with some ongoing charges. And if they don't sell the movie on blu-ray or DVD, you have to have a subscription to watch it again later.

I don't like it, but I'd be lying if I said I don't get it.

And "quite a few" is still not "all". I understand a lot of A-list directors still believe in the prestige of the cinema, but others are coming around to the fact that audiences are moving on.

oduodu

so thats how it works

ty

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed