Predator vision and equipment

Started by GTC71, Aug 16, 2022, 10:22:27 PM

Author
Predator vision and equipment (Read 3,433 times)

GTC71

GTC71

One thing I never understood is how the Predator can see the details in much of their weapons and equipment.  It seems as though their vision doesn't pick up detail as well as a human's vision.  So, how can they use and inscribe all of these details into their equipment?  Do we know if they have some other way to supplement their vision to be similar to a human?

BigDaddyJohn

I always asked myself that question too  :laugh:

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

In "Predators" I noticed the Berserker Predators vision was quite clear and detailed and it made way more sense for how they accomplished making their own equipment, but early movies didn't have the technology to portray the vision that good with the available technology of the time and movies after "Predators" just kind of dropped it in favor of more in line with the first movie just a little clearer.

Huntsman

Huntsman

I like the idea they wear the helmets nearly all the time because their natural vision doesn't compare to the technology they themselves created.

oduodu

oduodu

i believe they have more than one set of technologies that they use. maybe some kind of magnetic resonance imaging. maybe some kind frequency range that is unknown to us. mmixing it all up to get a very detailed visual and 3d guidance system.

Kailem

Kailem

Just because their vision looks bad to us doesn't mean it looks bad to them. Jungle Hunter certainly didn't have any trouble following Dutch and beating the crap out of him when he took his helmet off. I'd imagine there are plenty of animals in real life (especially ones that use sonar or echo-location) that we'd wonder how they could possibly make anything out if we were somehow able to "see through their eyes" too.

I've never been a fan of the idea that they have naturally poor vision because of how it looks in the original film. I've always just taken it like Bad Blood said, that it's just a case of the movie-making technology at the time making it less clear than they were able to do later on in Predators when we see it briefly again there.

BlueMarsalis79

I actually like the not so high fidelity look myself, it feels more otherworldly.

littlesprout

littlesprout

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 06, 2022, 07:58:25 PMI actually like the not so high fidelity look myself, it feels more otherworldly.

Agreed. I was never a fan of how the predator vision became more clear over the years simply due to the fact that our filming effects and technology got better.

The blurry heat signatures have never been replicated as good as the original 2 films which I personally love and think it feels more "predator"

It's like in Prometheus/Covenant how it's super futuristic in the fact that everything looks complex and high tech on the ships whereas in the original alien you had old computers and just simple buttons flashing that doesn't look to fancy but has this weird retro yet future style to it.

And when you play isolation you really get to explore that in detail.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I've played around with a thermal scope before and it's really interesting how it "sees" the world. If you look at a field of tall grass for example, it looks all blurry and indistinct, almost like a loose watercolour painting. Then you might spot some rocks in the field that has been lying in the sun for the whole day and those rocks would be sharply defined and very distinct because of the temperature difference.

Mammals/humans of course stand out very sharply and clearly because of the heat that warm blooded animals radiate while cold-blooded lizards/snakes are virtually invisible.

One might spot a roadsign and it would stand out very clearly because the metal's thermal qualities are completely different to the natural environment, but it's still impossible to read unless the paint itself has different thermal qualities to the metal base.

Thermal vision, is a total game changer for hunting, search & rescue and military use though. Can absolutely see why the Predators would use it, despite it's shortcomings in overall vision fidelity.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Reminder me of how the Terminator vision gets sharper with each movie. I prefer the weird-looking T1 one with code running on the side.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed