Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 273,334 times)

SM

SM

What did they waste money on?  Covenant was made for less than Prometheus, Exodus or The Martian.

Evanus

Yeah, 97 million or something like that isn't even that much for a film like Covenant. I'd say they used the money very effectively, even if the film is flawed.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: LCpl. D. Grant on Jun 30, 2017, 12:03:57 AM
Covenant wasted so much money and as I predicted performed mediocrely at best. What a horrible showing. (Not withstanding all of the scenes cut from in China).

Idiot alert

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jun 29, 2017, 10:52:40 PM
They should've showed more of Katherine Waterston's belly.

I would chow down on her cryo box for light years.

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

edit

Nostromo

Nostromo

All I know is the movie has been out for a month...and all that's worth talking about from it is someone's cryo box.  :laugh:

SM

SM

If you're actually sorry - don't post drivel in the first place.

You can knock the film without being a tool.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 30, 2017, 06:23:33 AM
All I know is the movie has been out for a month...and all that's worth talking about from it is someone's cryo box. Can't even remember her name. What a sh!t alien movie lol. If you like this movie you have an iq of 10 sorry.

You can dislike a film without insulting people who do. Don't let me see it happen again or I'll be forced to remove your ability to post at all.

I don't like being forced to act like a school teacher.

Protozoid

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Jun 30, 2017, 03:54:45 AM
Covenant wasted so much money and as I predicted performed mediocrely at best. What a horrible showing. (Not withstanding all of the scenes cut from in China).

Idiot alert

Not an idiot. If you look a the old box office prediction thread, about ninety percent of the forum expected this movie to perform significantly better than it did. This is a poor showing, worse than even the lowest predictions. This is one of Fox's biggest franchises, and they probably lost money on it. They crashed one of their flagship franchises into the ground. For a post-Prometheus, post-Martian, Scott-directed Alien movie to perform worse than AvP is an embarrassment for everyone involved. They can spin it all they want, but the industry will look on this as a failure and I'm sure the stockholders will question the wisdom of making more of these. Calling people an idiot won't make Covenant a better, more successful movie.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 30, 2017, 07:25:10 PM

Idiot alert

Not an idiot. If you look a the old box office prediction thread, about ninety percent of the forum expected this movie to perform significantly better than it did. This is a poor showing, worse than even the lowest predictions. This is one of Fox's biggest franchises, and they probably lost money on it. They crashed one of their flagship franchises into the ground. For a post-Prometheus, post-Martian, Scott-directed Alien movie to perform worse than AvP is an embarrassment for everyone involved. They can spin it all they want, but the industry will look on this as a failure and I'm sure the stockholders will question the wisdom of making more of these. Calling people an idiot won't make Covenant a better, more successful movie.
It didn't perform worse than AvP in total gross, but it did perform badly. Even when I sat down in the theater, at the earliest possible showing in my country, and saw that the theater was perhaps only 70% full, I just had the feeling it wouldn't do too well.
Even barring the negative social media campaigns and leaked spoilers, it just doesn't seem there was much hype for another Alien movie.
Hope they keep all of this in mind for the next one. Just removing the "Alien" in Alien: Awakening might make a huge difference for nowadays twitter bots.

BishopShouldGo

Idiot alert

The sobering truth.

Heck I expected this movie to make nearly triple of its running cume.

Protozoid

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jun 30, 2017, 07:59:44 PM

Idiot alert

It didn't perform worse than AvP in total gross, but it did perform badly. Even when I sat down in the theater, at the earliest possible showing in my country, and saw that the theater was perhaps only 70% full, I just had the feeling it wouldn't do too well.
Even barring the negative social media campaigns and leaked spoilers, it just doesn't seem there was much hype for another Alien movie.
Hope they keep all of this in mind for the next one. Just removing the "Alien" in Alien: Awakening might make a huge difference for nowadays twitter bots.
That's true, it did make more money than AvP. But AvP had a bigger opening weekend and made back almost triple its budget. Covenant will not be able to do that.

At least one pundit believes the Alien label was a liability. I think they should have made a straight Prometheus sequel called Covenant, kept Shaw, and pushed the sci-fi angle. Original sci-fi is huge right now, and Scott is the king of original sci-fi. Trying to make Alien into Star Wars was always going to end in disappointment. There is no universe where Covenant made Star Wars money. They missed their chance to create a new, vital franchise by reboarding a ship they've known was sinking for 25 years. Sci-fi has to continually push boundaries or it doesn't work. Same with horror. Looking back at how audiences, and even James Cameron, reacted to the first teaser, the public could tell immediately that Covenant wasn't going to break any new ground and had retreated from the high-concept approach of Prometheus. Nobody finds a total lack of confidence appealing. To have a successful movie like Prometheus receive such a safe sequel is retreating after victory. It's so cowardly it's kind of pitiful.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 30, 2017, 08:41:50 PM
That's true, it did make more money than AvP. But AvP had a bigger opening weekend and made back almost triple its budget. Covenant will not be able to do that.

At least one pundit believes the Alien label was a liability. I think they should have made a straight Prometheus sequel called Covenant, kept Shaw, and pushed the sci-fi angle. Original sci-fi is huge right now, and Scott is the king of original sci-fi. Trying to make Alien into Star Wars was always going to end in disappointment. There is no universe where Covenant made Star Wars money. They missed their chance to create a new, vital franchise by reboarding a ship they've known was sinking for 25 years. Sci-fi has to continually push boundaries or it doesn't work. Same with horror. Looking back at how audiences, and even James Cameron, reacted to the first teaser, the public could tell immediately that Covenant wasn't going to break any new ground and had retreated from the high-concept approach of Prometheus. Nobody finds a total lack of confidence appealing. To have a successful movie like Prometheus receive such a safe sequel is retreating after victory. It's so cowardly it's kind of pitiful.

Not sure how "safe" I'd consider the Shaw elements to be, but I see what you're saying.

As much as it pains me to say, I do think a large part of Prometheus's success was that people didn't even know it was an Alien film.  They thought it was a new, original thing.  (This can be hard for us AVP dorks to even fathom.)  I imagine there are a lot of people who don't even know Covenant was a sequel to Prometheus.

Maybe if the next film features engineers, the trailer can showcase them and normies will get that it's a sequel to Prometheus and go see it.

BishopShouldGo

It's too late. The toothpaste has been let out of the tube. The time to showcase engineers was with Covenant.

Now you'll really f**king confuse the normies.

echobbase79

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 29, 2017, 04:28:55 AM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Jun 29, 2017, 04:10:07 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jun 29, 2017, 02:36:48 AM
Lol. If we want A list stars, let us want. Alien just might need a bona fide star the next movie to bolster box office. So don't be so agonized.

If you want to watch an Alien movie with no stars just watch most of the other Alien movies. The only star-stars at the time of their respective entries are arguably only Winona and Charlize, and Fassbender but only with Covenant. And Franco barely counts but obviously an A-lister.

On the tier below A list I'd say, Elba, McBride and Pearce would be there.

Dutton! Best part of Alien 3.

Never been an A-lister.

Quote from: echobbase79 on Jun 29, 2017, 04:12:37 AM

I'd like to see Denzel Washington headline the next film. He was great in American Gangster.

He'd be great squaring off against Fassbender.

Agreed. Have they worked together in a movie before?

tleilaxu

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 30, 2017, 08:41:50 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Jun 30, 2017, 07:59:44 PM

Idiot alert

The thing is, to a large extent did make an original sci-fi movie. It had new creatures, it gave a backstory for the old creature and gave a new spin on its development, it had an overarching theme of  creation, it had allegories and artistic references. The third act is mainly where we re-tread old waters, but even then, if you accept it as a build-up for the triumphant final it feels much more coherent and fitting.
However, normies are not going to pick up on this, at least not unless you tell them. The marketing campaign ended up being very misguided, focusing on the action and horror aspects instead of what the movie was actually about.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed