Single Player Questions/Help Thread

Started by WeaN, Feb 14, 2010, 03:37:48 PM

Author
Single Player Questions/Help Thread (Read 60,282 times)

GrimyGhost

GrimyGhost

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 06:26:01 PM
Quote from: GrimyGhost on Feb 14, 2010, 06:25:35 PM
Quote from: Zephon on Feb 14, 2010, 06:23:16 PM
Quote from: GrimyGhost on Feb 14, 2010, 06:20:08 PM
according to a guy on youtube each campaign can be finished in 1-2 hours... is that true?? if so thats a serious disapointment..

Meh..almost anything can be finished that fast if you zoom trough it and dont take your time with everything. + play on easy. Mass Effect 2 is arround 80hours but people can finish it in 6hours... Same goes for alot of games. It all depends on how much you ignore.
there was no rushing involved, he was on medium... he did campaign play throughs on youtube

Link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv3NVeuA8sU

MrBrokenTusks.

I am very troubled at the first boss. I was expecting it to appear twice but i think it i will have to be epic or it has to be really long to justify it being right at the beggining. If i was rebellion i would swap the first and last bosses but obviously I'm not and i don't know the story but to make that last boss work it will have to be really epic otherwise it will be a stupid order for the bosses to be in imo. Because the least dangerous boss is last. I don't know in what concept so i can't really comment but apart from the bosses the marine campaign sounds amazing.

BTW the bosses aren't bad. There amazing its just that i think it would of been better in a different order that is all.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

You don't pay 60 bucks for the campaign, but the multiplayer, which is the core of the game.  ;)

choadonemillion

Quote from: Predator:o:95 on Feb 14, 2010, 06:30:08 PM

BTW the bosses aren't bad. There amazing its just that i think it would of been better in a different order that is all.

agreed

GrimyGhost

GrimyGhost

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Feb 14, 2010, 06:31:33 PM
You don't pay 60 bucks for the campaign, but the multiplayer, which is the core of the game.  ;)
actually i pay for sp with my money, mp is something to do once i complete it, and rebellion have never staitd that the main feature of the game was mp..

spychi

spychi

according to a guy on youtube each campaign can be finished in 1-2 hours... is that true?? if so thats a serious disapointment..
wean said that it took him 6 hours on hard, so i'll take your/that guy's version on youtube as a huge bulshit

Ghost Rider LSOV

So, my question:

What about those facehuggers, they insta-kill you like the old days or you insta-grab them like in the trailer, or is it a grab-but-fail move?
(yeah, I don't make much sense)  :P

GrimyGhost

GrimyGhost

Quote from: spychi on Feb 14, 2010, 06:35:55 PM
wean said that it took him 6 hours on hard, so i'll take your/that guy's on youtube as a huge bulshit
i would love too, but its kinda hard to when you watch the vids.

MrBrokenTusks.

Quote from: spychi on Feb 14, 2010, 06:35:55 PM
wean said that it took him 6 hours on hard, so i'll take your/that guy's on youtube as a huge bulshit

i don't think it is bullshit all the reviews have said marine is the longest campaign and that aliens is shortest
and wean has only played marine so it probably is different campaigns that there on

Asian Assassin

do u ever meet the predalien?

WeaN

WeaN

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PM
Who are all named marines? Are there any unknown main characters? Who dies and who lives?

Spoiler
Only Tequila plays a big part, really. The others are just canon fodder and die real quick. I don't remember any of the other Marines getting fleshed out actually, except her and another guy named Van something you had to rescue but by the time you make it to him he's already been cocooned... you get to choose whether to shoot him before the chestburster comes out or not.
[close]

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMDo you see #6?

Spoiler
No you don't.
[close]

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMHow is the battle with the Predator handled?

With style :

Spoiler
He ambushes you as you try to enter a small cabin, but your character cancels his trophy kills and slides down to a small arena kind of place. You then have a showdown with the Pred.
The fight basically goes like this :
The Pred keeps on trying to shoot you from above with his plasma caster. You get to shoot at him if you manage to spot him (sniper rifle helps a lot). He has two health bars ... a blue one that works like the shield from Halo and a red one. Once you shoot him enough to deplete the blue bar, he'll try to hide and use his medicomp. We he does, that's your only chance to shoot and deplete his red health bar, before he recharges the blue one. Once you shoot all of his red health bar, he's done for.
He will try to come close and personal when his health is low, but if you played the demo and know how to block/counter attack it won't be a threat at all and he'll just run away like a bitch.
[close]

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMHow many facehuggers do you see? Do you get to fight them?

Yeah you'll face many of them. Sometimes they come out of eggs, sometimes they just lurk in dark places.
You can also shoot the eggs before they come out and save you the trouble.

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMBiggest battle scene? Description would be nice!

It's a matter of tastes, but to me, the best encounters are probably the 2nd and 3rd bosses, which are ...

Spoiler
The Pred and Praetorian fights.
I already described the Pred one.
You meet the Praetorian in the research facility. That thing is huge... probably half as huge as a Queen. It first appears by itself, then, it will start screaming to call for regular Aliens to fight you, while it remains in the distance. It will also sometimes come close to you or try to ram you with its Queen shaped head.
A single melee hit from the Preatorian will throw you down helpless, and it will usually finish you with its claws. It doesn't seem to have trophy kills, unlike regular Aliens.
[close]

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMHow many friendly A.I. do you run into?

Spoiler
Not much. Once in the jungle, you'll meet a lone dude shouting insults at Aliens (kinda like Cole in the first Gears of War but by the time you get to him, a Brown Alien (Runner) spits acid at him and he dies. The whole scene is to introduce Brown Aliens.
You also meet up with two Marines when you get to the Ruins, and together you try to repell a few waves of Aliens, but they eventually get killed too.
You then meet a single Marine by the temple, but he gets killed quickly too.
Later on, you have to rescue a cocooned Tequila. You get to free her and backtrack by her side. You get attacked by Aliens, but she can't die (at least didn't seem so to me, or she can sustain A LOT of damage) so it's not so hard.
[close]

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMDo you see a lot of cocooned victims?

Spoiler
Around a dozen. Dead already most of the time, at the exception of Tequila and mister Van something guy.
[close]

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMHow many Marine exclusive achievements do you have?

Not much so far. I got the Kill 10 enemies with head shots from the scoped rifle one, cause that thing is really handy in open environnements. It deals a lot of damage too, you can usually kill Aliens in one body shot.

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMAny special "wow" moments?

A few. But if you're used to this kind of game, you'll expect it most of the time. Having played and completed Dead Space more than once, it takes a lot to actually startle me.
I did go wow when the 3rd boss appeared, though. Didn't expect that.

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMHow abundant is ammo for weapons?
I never ran out. You'll find these white ammo boxes often, either lying on the ground or by a Marine's body. As long as you don't shoot half your clip in the air during encounters, you're safe, really.

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMAny singleplayer exclusive weapons?
None. If you played the demo then that's it.
Smartgun has much more ammo in SP though. You even get to reload the thing.

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMDo you see / ride in / get transported in an APC?

Nope.

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMDescribe the Alien spit ability. How much damage, how the animation looks, etc.

Oh yeah, that one.
Regular warriors (skin from the demo) don't spit. But eventually you'll come across Brown Aliens (some might like to call it Runner since its design is so close to the Xeno from the 3rd movie) that can spit acid.
Unlike warriors, they tend to keep at range and sometimes they'll spit at you... if you played Halo, imagine a Wraith mortar, except it's smaller and so slow you'll have plenty of time to dodge it. I only got hit once or twice cause I was zooming with the rifle and didn't see it coming.
It doesn't deal much damage even on Hard.

Quote from: VEF214 on Feb 14, 2010, 05:49:48 PMAny easter eggs? Description if you've found any please.

There's definitely a few, but right now I can't recall all of them. You'll get obvious references to the movies in some lines, like "how can they cut the power ?" and stuff.
The first levels are an easter egg themselves since they look like the setting from Aliens so much. You'll basically go through everything the characters from the movie experienced. Fans will enjoy that.

Quote from: XLRDALLAS on Feb 14, 2010, 05:52:31 PM
In your  judgement  was it a let down

I really enjoy the first half of the game ... the gameplay is solid, the Xenos look awesome and the environnements aren't breath taking, but they are good enough for what it is. Very faitful to the atmosphere from the movies (Aliens, Predator and the first AvP movie).
What I didn't like is the fact you get more mindless action as you go, at the expense of atmosphere.
Also, I won't go into details to avoid spoiling, but towards the last third of the game (well, the Marine Campaign at least), you get to fight less and less Xenos, which I didn't like. What you fight instead is much less fun to face, and feels clunky because of the Marine gameplay which is obviously more aimed at fighting Xenos.
I found the plot a bit weak, but I'll wait till I complete the two other Campaign to emit a final judgment. But to be honest, anybody expecting a deep plot in this kind of game are luring themselves.

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Feb 14, 2010, 06:03:19 PM
6 hours sounds a little bit short. If reviews are accurate, they indicate that the marine campaign is the longest, with the most substance.   Assuming your average gamer is as capable at FPS at the OP, it may only take a weekend to finish the whole game.

I'm afraid you're probably right.
I took me a bit less than the whole afternoon to complete the Marine SP. I did die a few times during the first encounters... but once you get the hang of it, only the bosses will pose a real threat, until you actually get the mechanics of the fight.

Quote from: Huol on Feb 14, 2010, 06:05:28 PM
Seriously? the last boss is
Spoiler
karl weyland?
[close]

How the hell does that work?
Some kind of arkham asylum
Spoiler
super joker treatment?
[close]

Hum.... be prepared for a big spoiler sir :

Spoiler
Karl is actually a cyborg (lol what a twist) and you fight him inside the Pyramid... he has a huge health bar and a really nasty shotgun that almost acts like a sniper rifle since it deals a lot of damage even from afar. I had troubles at first... the fight would just start then he would come at me and kill me in a few shots.
But once you realize you can stun him each time you shoot at him with your shotgun, you can just shoot, hide, shoot, etc.
[close]

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Feb 14, 2010, 06:11:14 PM
Before OP confirms I'm going to take some kind of guess that;

Spoiler
He is genetically enhanced by the Royal Jelly, possibly mutated into some weird hybrid
[close]

Do I win a prize?

No you don't. Check the previous spoiler :)
Then again ... maybe there's a bit of that. It's not actually explained, only hinted at.
But one thing's for sure :

Spoiler
He spits white blood and makes metallic sounds when getting shot at.
[close]

Quote from: Huol on Feb 14, 2010, 06:16:03 PM
Spoiler
Hows the predator boss?
[close]

Is it just a straight fight? Or does it
Spoiler
play with you like a real predator.
[close]

Already explained that fight above, in response to VEF214's question :)

Yeah it's probably possible if you play on Normal or below and if you know it already for beating it at least once before.
I just took my time to admire the scenery or move slowly in dark corridors... you know. To actually enjoy the thing ?

Quote from: Ghost Rider LSOV on Feb 14, 2010, 06:37:53 PM
So, my question:

What about those facehuggers, they insta-kill you like the old days or you insta-grab them like in the trailer, or is it a grab-but-fail move?
(yeah, I don't make much sense)  :P

If you have close to full health, you insta grab them just like in the trailer. But you'll lose about 90% of your health (at least that's how it is on Hard).
If they get to you once more ... it's game over man.

Ghost Rider LSOV

Quote from: WeaN on Feb 14, 2010, 06:51:39 PM
If you have close to full health, you insta grab them just like in the trailer. But you'll lose about 90% of your health (at least that's how it is on Hard).
If they get to you once more ... it's game over man.

I see.
If you grab one, you lose most health and then drop it down to shoot it?

MrBrokenTusks.

In your opinion wean do you think the bosses are back to front because the list u gave us looks like it should be
Spoiler
queen last and karl first
[close]
obviously it is not but do you think it suits the story?

WeaN

WeaN

Quote from: Ghost Rider LSOV on Feb 14, 2010, 07:02:20 PM
I see.
If you grab one, you lose most health and then drop it down to shoot it?

Yeah, you grab it and repell the first assault, it gets back on the ground and you're free to do whatever you want (shoot it, run away...).

Quote from: Predator:o:95 on Feb 14, 2010, 07:05:11 PM
In your opinion wean do you think the bosses are back to front because the list u gave us looks like it should be
Spoiler
queen last and karl first
[close]
obviously it is not but do you think it suits the story?

Hm... the last boss does suit the story, since...

Spoiler
Karl is portrayed as the bad guy .... the guy behind everything, you need to stop him to keep everyone safe etc. That kind of thing.
[close]

The first boss COULD be a let down in the sense that you don't actually get to attack it directly. More like scripted events you have to complete in order to win the fight.

MrBrokenTusks.

:O that was the boss i was most looking forward to firing hundreds of rounds into. Shame hopefully bosses 2 and 3 (maybe 4 depending on how it is handled like straight up fight or qte.) Will be a saving point for the bosses.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed