Predator: Hunting Grounds @ PAX West

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 29, 2019, 04:57:36 PM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds @ PAX West (Read 17,173 times)

The Kurgan

SpaceKase

Quote from: Kailem on Sep 15, 2019, 08:13:16 AM
What about some sort of video game about Aliens.....versus Predator? I feel like that has potential.

The real wild card here is what's coming out of Cold Iron (Now Hiring!) which we've heard nothing about. Historically this is not a great sign, especially when one factors in the Colonial Marines curse. But As Hunting Grounds appears and as Alien Blackout proved to be there's always potential for pleasant surprises.

Here's a wishful thought, how cool would it be if, in the delightful fashion of Sonic & Knuckles, the Cold Iron Studios finally came out and it featured some capability to interface with Hunting Grounds maps and or players, they would need to have compatible mechanics, but how rad would it be, perhaps even only in a dlc option or something, to have two totally different games have the ability to interact in shared settings?

Perhaps I'm just having fever dream remembrances of old crossovers between the animated X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons in the mid 90's/early 2000's. But where there's a will, there's a way.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SpaceKase on Sep 18, 2019, 09:41:39 PM
What about some sort of video game about Aliens.....versus Predator? I feel like that has potential.

The real wild card here is what's coming out of Cold Iron (Now Hiring!) which we've heard nothing about. Historically this is not a great sign, especially when one factors in the Colonial Marines curse. But As Hunting Grounds appears and as Alien Blackout proved to be there's always potential for pleasant surprises.

Here's a wishful thought, how cool would it be if, in the delightful fashion of Sonic & Knuckles, the Cold Iron Studios finally came out and it featured some capability to interface with Hunting Grounds maps and or players, they would need to have compatible mechanics, but how rad would it be, perhaps even only in a dlc option or something, to have two totally different games have the ability to interact in shared settings?

Perhaps I'm just having fever dream remembrances of old crossovers between the animated X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons in the mid 90's/early 2000's. But where there's a will, there's a way.

Bartender, I'll have what he's having!

;D

Unfortunately in all seriousness, although cool, I don't think that's feasible.

SpaceKase

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 18, 2019, 10:27:42 PM

;D

Unlikely I'll grant you, but there's nothing unfeasible there, capture the flag is capture the flag, regardless of what graphical skin you've got in your world. All this is imaginary speculation of course, but assuming one created a common world or two, all you would have to do is have some common rules. GTA for example is the same game regardless of which perspective your camera is in, be it first person, third person, or whatever. It could be argued the this is exactly the way reality is, each of us as players with totally different comprehensions and perceptions of the common world around us.

This is a totally different sort of thing, mind you, but conceptually and presentationlly it was a brilliant. When Sega first came out with Sonic & Knuckles, hot on the heels of Sonic 3, it had the unprecedented capability to plug one game cartridge into the other and play them simultaneously, in the parlance of 1994 technology.  But the remarkable thing is that suddenly you could replay an entire previous game with a new character who had new and different capabilities in a common world. You could still play either game separately but together was a totally different experience. It was a feature of course that  drove sales for the purchase of both games.

That was all planned ahead of time of course and by a common developer, unlike this situation, so yes, unlikely, but conceptually totally feasible. It brings to mind what they were trying to conceptualize with Ready Player One. Or this awesome attraction StarWars had many years back (pre-LAN-party days) where guests would line up to choose sides in a series of flight simulators, either Tie Fighters or X-Wings for a massive networked battle over common Death Star trench kinda situation. As I recall, the people waiting in line to play next had little kiosks where they could control fixed position Death Star Laser turrets and try to shoot down whomever was playing the current round.
I wish I could find a reference to the article, it was probably in an old Game Pro magazine or something, does that sound familiar to anyone else out there?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SpaceKase on Sep 19, 2019, 12:55:26 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 18, 2019, 10:27:42 PM

;D

Unlikely I'll grant you, but there's nothing unfeasible there, capture the flag is capture the flag, regardless of what graphical skin you've got in your world. All this is imaginary speculation of course, but assuming one created a common world or two, all you would have to do is have some common rules. GTA for example is the same game regardless of which perspective your camera is in, be it first person, third person, or whatever. It could be argued the this is exactly the way reality is, each of us as players with totally different comprehensions and perceptions of the common world around us.

This is a totally different sort of thing, mind you, but conceptually and presentationlly it was a brilliant. When Sega first came out with Sonic & Knuckles, hot on the heels of Sonic 3, it had the unprecedented capability to plug one game cartridge into the other and play them simultaneously, in the parlance of 1994 technology.  But the remarkable thing is that suddenly you could replay an entire previous game with a new character who had new and different capabilities in a common world. You could still play either game separately but together was a totally different experience. It was a feature of course that  drove sales for the purchase of both games.

That was all planned ahead of time of course and by a common developer, unlike this situation, so yes, unlikely, but conceptually totally feasible. It brings to mind what they were trying to conceptualize with Ready Player One. Or this awesome attraction StarWars had many years back (pre-LAN-party days) where guests would line up to choose sides in a series of flight simulators, either Tie Fighters or X-Wings for a massive networked battle over common Death Star trench kinda situation. As I recall, the people waiting in line to play next had little kiosks where they could control fixed position Death Star Laser turrets and try to shoot down whomever was playing the current round.
I wish I could find a reference to the article, it was probably in an old Game Pro magazine or something, does that sound familiar to anyone else out there?

Thinking something isn't feasible simply means one thinks it's not likely nor probable. So we're actually saying the same thing here. :)

SpaceKase

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 19, 2019, 02:58:28 PM

Thinking something isn't feasible simply means one thinks it's not likely nor probable. So we're actually saying the same thing here. :)

Ah! Yes, I grok ya, water brother.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed