Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 559,146 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

My main problem with Alien3 is the pacing and the way the scenes just don't seem to flow smoothly from one to the other. I still enjoy the film (I'd give it about 6 to a 6.5/10), but those problems are simply too much to overcome.

SM

SM

QuoteSame can be said about Ripley in Alien. She survived and got the happily ever after treatment (that is when not considering the trauma she mightve experienced after the event but I think its safe to assume the writers didnt think of that)

Simply living longer than the Alien was enough for for the first film.  Aliens dealt the psychological scars, which were essentially healed (a bit too neatly) by the end.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on May 28, 2010, 04:06:37 AM
QuoteSame can be said about Ripley in Alien. She survived and got the happily ever after treatment (that is when not considering the trauma she mightve experienced after the event but I think its safe to assume the writers didnt think of that)

Simply living longer than the Alien was enough for for the first film.  Aliens dealt the psychological scars, which were essentially healed (a bit too neatly) by the end.

Well I dont see it. I mean, the movie got a resolution in the end. One for the danger of the alien species and one for the theme of the psychologically scared Ripley. The resolution is that she overcame her fear and found someone to live for. I dont think its too much of a happy ending, its simply a resolution to the story. Newt's family and all the colonists are still dead and so is almost the entire crew of Sulaco

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 28, 2010, 04:04:08 AM
My main problem with Alien3 is the pacing and the way the scenes just don't seem to flow smoothly from one to the other. I still enjoy the film (I'd give it about 6 to a 6.5/10), but those problems are simply too much to overcome.

I like the pacing. The movie leans very much towards a straight forward drama in the beginning which is good because you get to know the characters more (Clemens) and you see Ripley's awkward evolution after the accident that killed the others. You also see bonding between her and Clemens and the sorry lives of the scumbags that lived on Fury. I think the movie pull you in so much into Ripley's sad turnaround that when alien appears its really more of a side thing than the main or one of the main elements of the movie. Its an extra danger, but the real and main issue here is Ripley's tragedy. I enjoy it for what it is - a signature Fincher movie, which is a drama thriller

I think the slight shock and change in the feel from the other two movies is caused by the fact that this movie doesnt rely on tension or suspense or horror like the other movies. Its very relaxed, very downbeat and slow. It relies more on our reflections, thinking and pathos

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

To each their own. I'm not saying it's bad by any means, simply mediocre to kinda good at best. But again, simply my opinion.

SM

SM

The Sulaco crew are really neither here nor there since they had no proper connection with the protagonists.  Ripley and Newt are each others salvation.  They 'can both dream'.  Ergo happy ending.  And "happy ending" isn't necesarily a dirty word either.

And the pacing of Alien3 drags a bit in the first half.

Solace

Solace

Quote from: StrangeShape on May 28, 2010, 04:27:34 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 28, 2010, 04:04:08 AM

I like the pacing. The movie leans very much towards a straight forward drama in the beginning which is good because you get to know the characters more (Clemens) and you see Ripley's awkward evolution after the accident that killed the others. You also see bonding between her and Clemens and the sorry lives of the scumbags that lived on Fury. I think the movie pull you in so much into Ripley's sad turnaround that when alien appears its really more of a side thing than the main or one of the main elements of the movie. Its an extra danger, but the real and main issue here is Ripley's tragedy. I enjoy it for what it is - a signature Fincher movie, which is a drama thriller

I think the slight shock and change in the feel from the other two movies is caused by the fact that this movie doesnt rely on tension or suspense or horror like the other movies. Its very relaxed, very downbeat and slow. It relies more on our reflections, thinking and pathos
I agree and disagree.I liked the pace and overall flow of the film,it just seemed choppy sometimes and some scenes just didn't mesh well with what preceded it.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

I agree its slow in the beginning (excluding the crash - funeral), but like I said, its because it was fleshing out the characters I think. It leaned more towards drama in the beginning and later on introduced the thriller element

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The thing is, the character fleshing out didn't really work that well. After my first viewing, the only character name I knew was Ripley. I've now picked up on who Dillon and Clemens are, but none of the other ones stand out for me.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on May 28, 2010, 04:32:00 AM
They 'can both dream'.  Ergo happy ending.  And "happy ending" isn't necesarily a dirty word either.

I know. Im just saying its not really different from the original movie's ending like one of the posters claimed and that was my point. It got a resolution to the issue, the character(s) went to sleep with the "happily ever after" and "we made it" tone

SM

SM

QuoteI've now picked up on who Dillon and Clemens are, but none of the other ones stand out for me.

The only other one that needs to stand out is Aaron.  Everyone else is Alien fodder.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SpaceMarines on May 28, 2010, 04:39:26 AM
The thing is, the character fleshing out didn't really work that well. After my first viewing, the only character name I knew was Ripley. I've now picked up on who Dillon and Clemens are, but none of the other ones stand out for me.

I dont know. I think Fincher did great in the character department considering the fact that they all looked the same, therefore making the task even harder. I think the characters are quite fleshed out - Dillon, Clemens, Andrews, 85 and Morse

SM

SM

Don't see any particular fleshing out of Andrews and Morse.  Maybe Morse in the last few minutes.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

What I mean is that they were both very different from each other and very distinctive at the same time

SM

SM

Distinctive, I guess.  But since both characters spent most of their screen being loud and angry, not terribly different.  If Andrews wasn't the warden, they'd almost be identical.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed