Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 547,654 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Vulhala, watch it.

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

Some of the warriors do look bad I'll give him that but the queen was amazing.

Glazy

Glazy

I like the films in the order they were made, Alien being a 10/10, Aliens being a 9.5/10, Alien 3 a 6/10 and Alien Resurrection being a 3/10

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Welcome to the Galaxy Glazy ;)

Vulhala

Vulhala

He won't last long if he repeats that 6/10 for A3  >:(

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Now, now, be nice to the fresh meat- erm, I mean, newcomer. Yes. Newcomer. Heh, heh, heh.

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Quote from: Vulhala on May 17, 2010, 12:53:02 PM
He won't last long if he repeats that 6/10 for A3  >:(

I declare him an OUTLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Aliens is by far the best movie in the franchise... every minute of that film is pure genious and it remains a nailbiter until the end!
I love how they turned the horror basics from Alien into a fast paced and thrilling action Movie like Aliens.

To be honest, I don't really care much about the rest of the films...

Aliens: 10/10 Alien : 7/10 (but actually only because in that film the alien creature is invented with all it's concepts and ideas behind it...

and the rest well simply have no high opinion on them... In my opinion the Alien franchise should have ended with Aliens... every move afterwords has been worse... and some things that follow are just plainly stupid and make no sense:

Alien 3: Why the hell do you set the film on a planet, where it's impossible to have a little girl (Newt) as a supporting character... and then just killing her off with Hicks straight from the start... come on that's just bullshit! There was so much potential in the Hicks & Newt together with Ripley... it angers me to this day that it was never given any chance......

To be honest, the reason why I hate alien 3 so much, is because it destroyed everything about the end of Cameron's Aliens... You get to sympathize with wonderful characters in Aliens and then slash: in the sequel you're again were you left off after the first movie... su utter crap!!!

and Alien Rez... well 2 things ruin it: Cloned Ripley & Newborn Creature...

Vulhala

Vulhala

As I said in a different thread, Hicks & Newt would have been redundant in A3.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Vulhala on May 17, 2010, 01:46:14 PM
As I said in a different thread, Hicks & Newt would have been redundant in A3.
Ripley was redundant in Alien3. Her character was stripped and made odd decisions that didn't seem indicative of the Ripley from the previous two films. She slept with a prisoner right after Newt and Hicks' funeral, despite 1) not actually knowing Clemens, 2) knowing that she was on a prison for murderers, rapists, and child molesters, and that he was a prisoner there. Alien 3 stripped her of her life, but that had already happened in Aliens. She lost her crew mates, her daughter, very likely everyone she ever knew was dead, she also lost her job, her reputation, integrity. Alien 3 puts her in the exact same position as the previous movie. How many times can you wake up with an Alien over you? It becomes redundant, and the diminishing returns begin.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Ripley was an interesting character in A3.

Very independent and strong without being overly boisterous. She asserted herself calmly and confidently, as per the Ripley we already knew. Her grief and shock over losing the only two people she could call friends can account for some of the thing she did, but for all that, she was remarkably well-composed.

In fact, I think A3 has the best characterisation.

As for A2, it was probably the strongest film as a piece of entertainment, but it lacks the depth that make A1 and A3 interesting to watch time after time. There was a lot of cool stuff, but once you've seen that cool stuff, it's done, stick a fork in it.

A2 was really damaging, too, due to the imitators when it came to comics. What was a potentious comic series turned out to be boring, dull and derivative. A2 itself was quality, of course, but its popularity caused it to become the standard for the franchise, rather than the much more interesting A1. A1 is waiting three hours for a prawn curry at a top-notch restaurant. A2 is getting McDonald's at midnight having eaten nothing since you got up at 8am. I sure as f**k enjoyed that McDonald's, make no mistake, but the prawn curry was to die for (and lingered longer).

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Good post, but -

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 17, 2010, 03:17:04 PM
a prawn curry

Ewwww...

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: MadassAlex on May 17, 2010, 03:17:04 PM
Ripley was an interesting character in A3.

Very independent and strong without being overly boisterous. She asserted herself calmly and confidently, as per the Ripley we already knew. Her grief and shock over losing the only two people she could call friends can account for some of the thing she did, but for all that, she was remarkably well-composed.
For the emboldened, that Ripley was portrayed in Aliens, the destruction of her life and her conflict with that was resolved. Alien 3 seemed to re-examine that. She was odd, ready to sleep with a potential child molester/murderer/rapist within hours of knowing him, and quite ready to have herself killed before setting after the Alien. I just didn't want to see Ripley again, for me, she was done. Using her again would be to risk redundancy or unnecessary repetition. I would rather have had a new character, something totally fresh.

QuoteAs for A2, it was probably the strongest film as a piece of entertainment, but it lacks the depth that make A1 and A3 interesting to watch time after time. There was a lot of cool stuff, but once you've seen that cool stuff, it's done, stick a fork in it.
That could be subjective, Alex. For me, the mother-daughter dynamic represented by both Ripley/Newt and the Queen and her children, Ripley's arc, the archetypal yet likable marines, the drags of suspense and flashes of action, all keep me going back to Aliens over Alien3, with its blank Alien victims and franchise inconsistencies. Alien 3 looks beautiful and interesting, but it can't drag me for repeat viewings. To aggregate my friends opinions, we all watched Alien3 and it just didn't put any of us through the creepiness, beauty, and horror of Alien, and didn't put us through the suspense, excitement, or terror of Aliens. It was a very subdued affair.

QuoteA2 was really damaging, too, due to the imitators when it came to comics. What was a potentious comic series turned out to be boring, dull and derivative. A2 itself was quality, of course, but its popularity caused it to become the standard for the franchise, rather than the much more interesting A1.
I can't blame a band for their imitators, and can't blame Aliens for its comic series, or the myriad of their writers. It's like saying wet streets cause rain.

QuoteA1 is waiting three hours for a prawn curry at a top-notch restaurant. A2 is getting McDonald's at midnight having eaten nothing since you got up at 8am. I sure as f**k enjoyed that McDonald's, make no mistake, but the prawn curry was to die for (and lingered longer).
I don't like either McD's or prawn curry... Maybe Alien is a steak and Aliens is a takeaway? I love takeaways  ;)

MrBrokenTusks.

MrBrokenTusks.

I love takeaways  ;)

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Three major points:

1. Note that, at this point, Ripley hadn't gotten any in over 50 years. She'd also trusted Clemens with her body beforehand.

Besides, imagine not getting any for 50 years. Man.

2. A3 was a character drama with an Alien, essentially. Watching it under that framework makes it a lot more effective. It certainly has its flaws as a monster movie, but of all the films, the characters themselves are the most interesting. Ripley is now a fully-developed character rather than an archetype or an archetype subversion.

3. Prawn curry is incredible, seriously. I am disappoint, you guys.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed