Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 553,306 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Alien 3 took me a while to appreciate. When I saw the theatrical cut I didn't care for it because it seemed like a mess. It was as if someone slapped it together at the last minute. The Assembly Cut made more sense because it was more complete, but it wasn't perfect. And the reason it wasn't perfect to me, was because as good as it was, it was an unnecessary sequel. It is, and always will be, seen as a cash-grab in my eyes.

And let's not talk about Alien: Resurrection. That just sucked hard.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 16, 2009, 06:48:39 PM
And the reason it wasn't perfect to me, was because as good as it was, it was an unnecessary sequel. It is, and always will be, seen as a cash-grab in my eyes.

W H A T ?!?!?!?!?!  :o

???

You can criticize Alien 3 for a lot of things, but you can't accuse it for being a crowd pleaser because that's just ridiculous. Alien 3 was and still is the perfect and only way to end the Alien saga. If anything was an unnecessary sequel it was A:R or even Aliens, and the reason I add the latter to the list is because Alien didn't need a sequel. To me Alien 3 tied the knot and perfected the whole series and gave Aliens a purpose fitting the dark, cold and harsh universe of Alien. The deaths of Newt and Hicks sobered up the hammy ending of Aliens and brought everything back to reality - there are no such thing as superheroes.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

That's stupid. Aliens was all the closure we needed. I was more than content with the idea that Hicks, Newt, Bishop, and Ripley all go back home and live happily ever after. The idea of "Uh oh, ONE MOOOORE EGGG AYYYEEE" was so pathetic in retrospect to me it just...if that doesn't scream out desperation, I don't know what does.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 16, 2009, 07:10:38 PM
That's stupid. Aliens was all the closure we needed. I was more than content with the idea that Hicks, Newt, Bishop, and Ripley all go back home and live happily ever after. The idea of "Uh oh, ONE MOOOORE EGGG AYYYEEE" was so pathetic in retrospect to me it just...if that doesn't scream out desperation, I don't know what does.

A happy ending like the one in Aliens was beyond stupid (let's play family! Momma Ripley, daddy Hicks, doughtier Newt and their old trusty pooch Bishop...).

The Alien in Alien already had a way cooler and scarier way to develop eggs (Egg-morphing) compared to the generic Queen concept... But since Cameron wanted a Hollywood bug hunt in space and he needed a retarded Godzilla vs. King Kong boss fight in the end, he DESPERATELY changed the whole concept to fit him and his idea of the perfect Startroopers (the books) rip-off. Fincher did the same thing, but since people still hold a grudge against him, just like they hail Cameron as if he was a god, the egg thing in Alien 3 isn't considered to be legit. That's hypocrite!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm not defending what Cameron did. I will always stand by the idea that he did more harm to the Alien than good.

I don't blame Fincher for Alien 3 failing though. I never have and I never will purely because he had to deal with so bullshit from Fox it was coming out of his ears. I think the egg thing in A3 was dumb because it doesn't work logically following the second film. If the Queen needs to develop that large ovipositor (sp?) in order to lay eggs, how the f**k did she do it quick enough to lay an egg in the time it took to get from the colony to the Sulaco?

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 16, 2009, 08:40:03 PM
I'm not defending what Cameron did. I will always stand by the idea that he did more harm to the Alien than good.

I don't blame Fincher for Alien 3 failing though. I never have and I never will purely because he had to deal with so bullshit from Fox it was coming out of his ears. I think the egg thing in A3 was dumb because it doesn't work logically following the second film. If the Queen needs to develop that large ovipositor (sp?) in order to lay eggs, how the f**k did she do it quick enough to lay an egg in the time it took to get from the colony to the Sulaco?

Can't we assume an Alien warrior or drone planted the egg there? A-la Alien: Resurrection, when they set the trap?

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

How would it have gotten there? They were all in the Hive.

Lt. Mike Harrigan

Lt. Mike Harrigan

The same way the one that killed Spunkmeyer got there...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

So it got in the ship and didn't kill Bishop and Hicks?

Sure.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Or maybe she just grabbed one egg and took it with her as she ventured her way through the hive, the elevators and to the dropship? And it makes sense too, especially since her hive was about to burn down.

Another explanation could be that Queens are able to lay eggs without the ovipositor, but the egg layer frequency will be much (s)lower.

Seriously, there are a bunch of viable explanations, but it's up to you and me to decide if they're good enough, and if not then we should ask ourselves if it matters depending on the quality of the rest of the movie. I totally accept Fincher's explanation though. But of course I can understand if it annoys people, especially people who decided they hated Alien 3 from the get-go, even so, I don't think it should matter since the end-product is what I would like to call a "perfectly flawed masterpiece".

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 16, 2009, 09:44:04 PM
So it got in the ship and didn't kill Bishop and Hicks?

Sure.

Can't kill something thats not alive

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

Quote from: Lt. Mike Harrigan on Jun 16, 2009, 09:24:44 PM
The same way the one that killed Spunkmeyer got there...

That was always my reasoning to a T.  Never saw that alien get in, it was my understanding that it was almost a foreshadowing that the Sulaco was contaminated after the dropship incident.

xxxPREDBUGxxx

xxxPREDBUGxxx

Gotta go with A L I E N but AL()ENS is very close

Deadmeat

Deadmeat

Alien and Aliens.

randy4321

randy4321

Aliens and alien resurrection are my only favorites aliens before ressurection though. any other movies of the franchise are dead to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed