Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 551,804 times)

philsaw101134

philsaw101134

Quote from: TyrellCorp on Apr 26, 2009, 11:45:18 PM

I don't disagree too much on Alien3 either. The closing shots of the prison being sealed shut is greatness.
And to top it off with Eliot Goldenthal's amazing music score made it all the better. :)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

If I remember correctly in the theatrical version, the chestburster emerges from Ripley as she's falling in. I hated that only because it seemed like it was forced in there. Ripley's about to die, so who cares if it emerges or not?

Undeadite

Undeadite

Yes, that is in the theatrical cut, but I dont think it felt rushed. It isnt just that it bursts out, but Ripley holds it to her chest so it cant try and escape somehow. I always thought it was a very powerful image, and the symbolism of the mother holding her young generally creeps me out.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I didn't see any imagery there. If anything, she should've tossed it into the fire on the way down considering how much she hated it.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Well if she is already dead, it might as well be as theatrical as possible.  :P

philsaw101134

philsaw101134

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 27, 2009, 09:07:59 PM
I didn't see any imagery there. If anything, she should've tossed it into the fire on the way down considering how much she hated it.
lol
of course. That would have made the ending 10000x better.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Undeadite on Apr 27, 2009, 09:16:19 PM
Well if she is already dead, it might as well be as theatrical as possible.  :P

Haha, well, I just thought it was pointless. I was happy seeing Ripley just fall in, knowing the Alien was there. Honestly, you can watch the burster come out and have a neon sign telling the audience "POINT AND LAUGH!!!!"

Undeadite

Undeadite

I changed my vote to Alien. I just watched it for like the hundredth time and never once thought 'oh what a cool suit', but 'god damn now THAT is an alien!'.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Make sure you keep a theatre seat warm for May 5th dude, 30th Anniversary of Alien ;D

SM

SM

QuoteIf I remember correctly in the theatrical version, the chestburster emerges from Ripley as she's falling in. I hated that only because it seemed like it was forced in there. Ripley's about to die, so who cares if it emerges or not?

It was forced in there.  Giler wanted it to burst on the gantry.  Fincher didn't want it to burst at all.  The TC ending is a compromise and a payoff.  You can't through the whole movie with Ripley carrying an Alien not to get to see it burst out.

It didn't quite tie in with Fincher's idea of 'sacrifice', but it's better than Giler's ending ("Janitor service").

The TC ending is visually poetic, the way Ripley embraces the Queen as she falls.  The AC ending with her maintaining the JC pose all the way down was too over the top.

Mind you I would've loved to see the Ward ending where she just walks into the fire at the end.

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: DoomRulz on Apr 28, 2009, 05:18:03 AM
Make sure you keep a theatre seat warm for May 5th dude, 30th Anniversary of Alien ;D

Wow, 30 friggin years. I wish I could see it in theaters, Ive only had the pleasure of seeing A:R during its original run, and Aliens in a festival.

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2009, 05:29:28 AM
The TC ending is visually poetic, the way Ripley embraces the Queen as she falls.  The AC ending with her maintaining the JC pose all the way down was too over the top.

Definitely agree with you on that one.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Apr 28, 2009, 05:29:28 AM
It was forced in there.  Giler wanted it to burst on the gantry.  Fincher didn't want it to burst at all.  The TC ending is a compromise and a payoff.  You can't through the whole movie with Ripley carrying an Alien not to get to see it burst out.

It didn't quite tie in with Fincher's idea of 'sacrifice', but it's better than Giler's ending ("Janitor service").

Mind you I would've loved to see the Ward ending where she just walks into the fire at the end.

Eh...poetry or not, the feeling to me just seemed like "Ah well, what the hell, the Alien's in her, so let's show it anyway even though now it has no impact on the story".

SM

SM

It has an impact on the way the story is told.  And it is a major contrast to previous burstings, that have been loud nasty hurty affairs.  This one is almost peaceful.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I prefer the no-bursting version though because I prefer subtlety. I always remembered the Alien was inside her, so I know it's going to burned along with her. That's poetic enough for me because I know that in sacrificing herself, Ripley is also taking with her the last piece of her never ending nightmare.

SM

SM

Which is exatly what happens in the theatrical cut.

And I don't find Ripley falling all the way into the lead with an image that screams SEE WHAT I DID THERE?? exactly subtle.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed